VeggieBoards banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will be going shopping on Friday and will have $25 for groceries to last me for two weeks.

I could use some help with a vegan meal plan/grocery list.

What I have on hand:
- 15 lbs of rice
- plenty of packets of sauce/black pepper
- chili powder and garlic powder
- 10 packets of soy sauce
- Earth Balance
- peanut butter and jelly
- vegetable oil

I have 10 packets of soup, which I plan to have for breakfast on weekdays. That leaves me 4 breakfasts, 14 lunches and 14 dinners to plan for one.

Fresh produce here is expensive, anything that could be made with frozen or canned vegetables is preferred. I can get fillers like white bread and pasta pretty cheap (about a dollar) but am trying not to rely on those too much.

Thank you!

·
Registered
361 Posts
Get a bunch of bulk dried goods like white rice, lentils and beans. With that also get some vegetable stock and any other saurces/spice combos you like. Beans and rice and lentils and rice is good if your totally broke. I know from experience :-D

Also look into sprouting your own food. I have started sprouting brown lentils and they look good cant wait til they are ready to eat mmmmm freash food.

·
Registered
10,728 Posts
I don't know where you're at, so I'll say what is useful in many cases:

Canned/tinned tomatoes. These can be used to make pasta sauce, chili, soup and so on.

Frozen broccoli/peas etc. These can be added to anything to make it more healthful.

Canned fruit (fruit juice sweetened) these can be used to get some fruit into ya! Add to rice porridge or oatmeal.

Beans, lentils and such, in bulk or bags. These are staples for me! Beans and greens are the best!

Look for marked down items; even in the produce area, one can often find items that are discounted.

Look for seasonal produce, it's usually priced the lowest.

Best of luck!

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
Probably a bit late for this, as you would have already done your shopping.

I'd add a box of Bisquick (spelling?). Follow the directions for dumplings (but just make one big dumpling) and cook into your soup. That small addition turns a basic bowl of soup into a very filling meal.

Pick up some cheap dried fruit of some kind. You need to hit that food group. Raisins, prunes (dried plums), craisins, etc...

Bread. Peanut butter sandwiches dipped into soups are good, too.

Maybe a few bags of frozen veggies. Nothing fancy. Just a cheap mixed veggie.

I hope your $25 grocery budget is just a temporary situation!!! Good luck!!!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.