VeggieBoards banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will be going shopping on Friday and will have $25 for groceries to last me for two weeks.<br><br>
I could use some help with a vegan meal plan/grocery list.<br><br>
What I have on hand:<br>
- 15 lbs of rice<br>
- plenty of packets of sauce/black pepper<br>
- chili powder and garlic powder<br>
- 10 packets of soy sauce<br>
- Earth Balance<br>
- peanut butter and jelly<br>
- vegetable oil<br><br>
I have 10 packets of soup, which I plan to have for breakfast on weekdays. That leaves me 4 breakfasts, 14 lunches and 14 dinners to plan for one.<br><br>
Fresh produce here is expensive, anything that could be made with frozen or canned vegetables is preferred. I can get fillers like white bread and pasta pretty cheap (about a dollar) but am trying not to rely on those too much.<br><br>
Thank you!

·
Registered
361 Posts
Get a bunch of bulk dried goods like white rice, lentils and beans. With that also get some vegetable stock and any other saurces/spice combos you like. Beans and rice and lentils and rice is good if your totally broke. I know from experience :-D<br><br>
Also look into sprouting your own food. I have started sprouting brown lentils and they look good cant wait til they are ready to eat mmmmm freash food.

·
Registered
10,728 Posts
I don't know where you're at, so I'll say what is useful in many cases:<br><br>
Canned/tinned tomatoes. These can be used to make pasta sauce, chili, soup and so on.<br><br>
Frozen broccoli/peas etc. These can be added to anything to make it more healthful.<br><br>
Canned fruit (fruit juice sweetened) these can be used to get some fruit into ya! Add to rice porridge or oatmeal.<br><br>
Beans, lentils and such, in bulk or bags. These are staples for me! Beans and greens are the best!<br><br>
Look for marked down items; even in the produce area, one can often find items that are discounted.<br><br>
Look for seasonal produce, it's usually priced the lowest.<br><br>
Best of luck!

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
Probably a bit late for this, as you would have already done your shopping.<br><br>
I'd add a box of Bisquick (spelling?). Follow the directions for dumplings (but just make one big dumpling) and cook into your soup. That small addition turns a basic bowl of soup into a very filling meal.<br><br>
Pick up some cheap dried fruit of some kind. You need to hit that food group. Raisins, prunes (dried plums), craisins, etc...<br><br>
Bread. Peanut butter sandwiches dipped into soups are good, too.<br><br>
Maybe a few bags of frozen veggies. Nothing fancy. Just a cheap mixed veggie.<br><br>
I hope your $25 grocery budget is just a temporary situation!!! Good luck!!!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts