VeggieBoards banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys. New here.

First some background info. I'm 18 years old, male, from Sri Lanka and I've been vegetarian now for a little over a year I'd say. Now traditionally, people eat MASSIVE meals here, and my stomach just can't handle these gigantic meals. I feel really uncomfortable if I eat meals as big as the traditional ones. Lunch is the biggest issue as rice is compulsory and people eat massive amounts of it.

Lunch is considered the most important meal here, and is the biggest as well, instead of breakfast like I've seen in some other countries.

Now I'm not a fan of eating. I like to get it over with as soon as possible. As of late, I've been filling my plate with loads of things out of fear that I might not be getting all the nutrients I've need, and so I've been feeling really uncomfortable as of late coz my stomach is always full to the brim.

Can any of you guys please give me some options of what to have for lunch? I mean what vegetables, etc (I drink milk btw, but don't eat eggs) so I get all the nutrients I need?

It would also really help if you could perhaps mention how much I should eat? In terms of tablespoons would really help.

I'd really be grateful for any help. Thanks a lot.

·
Registered
3,423 Posts
Welcome !

personally, as a woman, I only eat about 1/2 cup of rice as part of a meal, as a young guy, you could probably eat a cup if you choose.....too filling for me, but I use it as an accent or filler...I'd prefer the vegetables, curries, or stews I eat it with.

Do you have weight to lose, gain, or maintain? How active are you, what is your height? Are you gaining weight now, since you're eating so much? The concept of eating your larger meal mid day is a much better one than we Americans have. It's standard to fill the gut in the evening meal, and let it sit there all night. A good way to judge how much to eat is to eat slowly, and listen to your belly and brain, and stop when you start feeling full. Then top it all off with a big glass of water! Learning to listen to your body takes a little while in the beginning, if you aren't used to eating that way.

Also, are you able to eat smaller meals more frequently? Eat lots of veggies, some fruit, get a good assortment of greens in your diet if you can. I'm sorry, but I'm not really familiar with your native foods there. I'd think you'd have a ton to choose from though!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply!

I haven't ever really kept track of my weight, mostly since I don't have a scale at home. But I'd say I'm at a healthy weight since I'm skinny, yet not skinny enough that you can see my ribs.

I'm also not really concerned with my weight.

I don't exercise, yet I don't seem to gain weight no matter how much I eat. I used to be on the heavy side when I used to eat meat and I was younger, but I started exercising for a brief period intensely and lost some weight and even after I stopped (out of laziness
) I managed to lose a little more weight and now I seem to be at a stable weight.

I'm 5'5 btw.

I haven't tried eating smaller meals frequently since I still live with my parents and it's my mom who does all the cooking and I don't really wanna bother her, but I *feel* that this would be more effective.

To give you an idea of the kinda lunch I usually have, here's what I had today:

Half a cup of rice (I cut down today since I was still full from yesterday
)
Half a cup of mushroom curry
Half a cup of soya curry
Half a cup of radish
Half a cup of kathurumurunga (which is the local name for this green leafy vegetable, it's also called 'Sesbania grandiflora')
Half a cup of cabbage
A banana

Add some water to that and I'm EXTREMELY full. Any ideas if I could cut down on anything in that? I could then apply it to all my meals.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts