VeggieBoards banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i know its too hard to get b12 on a veg diet to not take a supplement, but is there anywhere to get a good source of iron in a vegetarian diet without taking vitamins for it? im looking for enough to support athletic male body. thanks.

·
Registered
4,026 Posts
I was going to suggest the link Runner Veggie posted.
Also, here's the take-away from that article:
Quote:
you can increase iron absorption by:
•Avoiding black or green tea and coffee at meals.
•Adding a source of vitamin C at meals.
•Increasing legume (peanuts, beans, lentils, peas) intake.
•Cooking foods (especially water based acidic foods like tomato sauce) in cast iron skillets.
Personally, I've known vegetarians and nonvegetarians who had an issue with iron but I have never had a problem getting enough iron. I always test high for that. Always - all my life. I think it's mostly because I love legumes. I eat beans regularly.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I had the same problem (not very serious though) for a little while now, thank you for the interesting details and links, I will definately check them out as well.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger View Post

This page has a table showing various foods and how cooking in cast-iron significantly raised the iron content of most:

http://whatscookingamerica.net/Infor...onCastIron.htm
I would probaly stil rely on an iron intake through my actual food supply though. Just seems the better decision and is not that much of an efford if you finaly know how to archive it.

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
I used to drink soda and tea at meal time until recently, unless I am out and about at a resturant I don't drink caffine drinks at meal time, I drink things with vitamins C or orange juice at each meal to absorb the Iron I am running low on. Its helping me slowly.

·
Registered
35 Posts
What Elaine said.

Honestly, anyone who tells me that "you can only get iron from meat" couldn't possibly be any more wrong. Look at any nutrition chart. Legumes and spinach leads the pack. Here: http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?t...trient&dbid=70.

@TheHRChannel - You're mostly right, except for one thing: soy is NOT a good source of Vitamin B12. Seaweed have some (only a trace amount), and unfortunately for us, only meat products will provide us with the proper daily amount of B12. Your best bet is fortified cereals and B12 supplements. Milk have some too, for lacto-vegetarians.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Shortly after I became vegetarian I had my iron tested. My levels were really high (higher than they ever were as a meat-eater) - the doc said those would be good numbers for a man, and I'm a woman. It was because when I stopped eating meat I started eating a lot of leafy greens like spinach and kale. No need to worry about iron if you're doing it right!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHRchannel View Post

Dried fruits, leafy green vegetables, lentils, quinoa, molasses, and some Cheap cover products are good source of Iron. For more information visit this website http://www.vrg.org/nutrition/iron.htm.

Fortified soymilk, cereal, seaweeds, nutritional yeast, and other soy products make a good source of Vitamin B12.
Thank you for posting this only just seen it but definitely one to go in the bookmarks! :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts