VeggieBoards banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so i posted a thread a while back about bed bugs and fleas and how i thought i had them. well it turns out i was just starting to develop hives i think becasue now a month and a half later i am pretty much just a walking talking hive.
it started out just little red itchy bumps for a bout a week on my forarms and hips (thought they were flea or bedbug bites) and now im waking up with huge red welts all over my hips, forearms, thighs, butt cheeks, and occasionally my calves and shoulders. they used to go away on there own after i was up and at it for a while but now they dont go away unless i take something and sometimes they get worst as the day progresses. theyll go away in some areas and ill get more somewhere else. and the other morning i woke up with a swollen upper lip and i think i had a few on my eyelid this morning.
i have no idea what i could be allergic to. ive been keeping a food log to show the dr. i am allergic to cats but i have never broken out in hives because of them. i jsut get the itchy eyes and the sneezing when it comes to cats. and i avoid my cats at all costs because there mean anyways and they do not stay in my room.
oh yea and the stupid drs office cant take me until jan 23, and thats just my consultation visit. than a month later maybe they administer an allergy test.
i did change my laundry detergent to see if maybe thats what im allergic to but i havnt gotten everything washed yet.
does anyone else get really bad hives like this? if so what are you allergic to ? please help i cant stand the itching

·
Banned
2,587 Posts
i get hives from anxiety and nerves, doesn't sound much like what you are experiencing.

this sounds more like an allergic reaction, it may be something in your environment like a tree, bush or grass in your yard, the filter on your heating/cooling system or some kind of mold in your house ( i had a moldy wall once that caused horrible allergic reaction).

have you tried taking an antihistamine like benadryl?

·
Registered
961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yea i take benadyl when it gets super bad. thats why im pretty sure its allergy related because it does take it away. i cant stand the itchyness. it drives me insane. im surrised i havnt made myself bleed yet

·
Registered
961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You guys are no help to me!!! None of you ever have gotten hives???? I need help there getting progressivly worst. Is there any at home remedies or some good medication that will help? Benadryll is starting to not work anymore. I took one last night and woke up with the same amount of hies and i took another one this morning and only half of them went away.

·
Registered
3,423 Posts
if it's that much worse, then why don't you to go an Urgent care setting somewhere locally to you? You might actually need a steroid to reduce all of the inflammation if it's that bad. the 23rd is a long way off, if it is really getting worse.

Now, have you vacuumed your bed, changed/washed your linen? It sounds like your areas of irritation do occur with the body areas that have the most contact with your bedding. You could actually be allergic to the dust mites in your bed. You could try placing your mattress in one of those hypoallergenic covers, then place your bedding over that. Do the hives get better throughout the day, then are worse again in the morning when you get up? If so, then it's definately something related to your bed/bedding/mattress/laundry soap.

·
Registered
961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Photojess View Post

if it's that much worse, then why don't you to go an Urgent care setting somewhere locally to you? You might actually need a steroid to reduce all of the inflammation if it's that bad. the 23rd is a long way off, if it is really getting worse.

Now, have you vacuumed your bed, changed/washed your linen? It sounds like your areas of irritation do occur with the body areas that have the most contact with your bedding. You could actually be allergic to the dust mites in your bed. You could try placing your mattress in one of those hypoallergenic covers, then place your bedding over that. Do the hives get better throughout the day, then are worse again in the morning when you get up? If so, then it's definately something related to your bed/bedding/mattress/laundry soap.
They started out just acting up when i fisrt woke up and would go away until night time but now i have them all the time all day long. I did change my detergent to some hypoalllergenic stuff. I dont wantto go to urgen care because i dont want a 1 time quick fix that will only take them away for a day( and the get slapped with a huge bill for going to urgent care) And then have to go back again. i want to find out whats causing it, which i realize may never happen. Maybe i will look into one of those matress covers. I really think its clothing related because when i got in the shower yesterday there was a huge line of hives where my bra line was.

·
Registered
12,079 Posts
If you think it could be laundry/clothing related, you might try putting the wash through a second rinse, just to make sure all of the soap gets rinsed away.

·
Registered
6,609 Posts
I had little red bumps and skin irritation a few years ago from a laundry detergent (at least, that's what I'm pretty sure it was). I've also gotten hives from a new shirt that I put on without washing first. Keep in mind that even if you wash all your clothes in the new hypoallergenic stuff, your body's reaction will not necessarily immediately disappear.

Since you're suffering so much, going to an urgent care really might be the way to go. A steroid prescription or shot can really help with your body's reaction, especially if you think you've taken away whatever could possibly have been the allergen. You can still go to the allergist later to get to the root of the problem, but it sounds like you're pretty miserable now. Or, call your doctor back and tell them how much you are suffering. If you told them on the phone that you are having problems with hives, they might not know how bad it is.

·
Registered
6,609 Posts
Also, are antihistamines still helping? Maybe you could try a non-drowsy one (like Claritin) that you can have in your system all the time?

·
Registered
10,324 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dormouse View Post

Since you're suffering so much, going to an urgent care really might be the way to go. A steroid prescription or shot can really help with your body's reaction, especially if you think you've taken away whatever could possibly have been the allergen. You can still go to the allergist later to get to the root of the problem, but it sounds like you're pretty miserable now. Or, call your doctor back and tell them how much you are suffering. If you told them on the phone that you are having problems with hives, they might not know how bad it is.
Agreed. Call your dr and stress the urgency of your need for an appointment as soon as possible. They should be able to get you in a lot sooner or you could have them put you on a "waiting list" before your appointment where they would call you if they get a cancellation.

·
Registered
961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by dormouse View Post

Also, are antihistamines still helping? Maybe you could try a non-drowsy one (like Claritin) that you can have in your system all the time?
Antihistimines dont seem to be working anymore, ive tried zyrtec, , alavert, benadryl, and some natural homeopathic stuff, it all worked at first but now none of it works. Zyrtec helps a little but i doesnt take them completely away. My bf thinks may e its a vitamin deficiency. But i dont know what vitamin i would be deficient in. I did get my alpointment bumped up to next tuesdayand im on the waitin list. Ive read alot about chronic hives which is kind o what im leaning towards here and 90 percent ofthe time drs never find a cure. I have a feeling there going to try many many meds on me and nothings going to work and im just going to waste all kinds of money. At first i thought it was my detergent but i really dont think thats the case now. There so bad and nothing takes them away.

·
Banned
2,587 Posts
you need to ask your doctors to give you allergy tests, or get a referral to an allergist.

the tests can help you determine what you are allergic to that is causing this reaction, it may be something in your environment like a kind of tree or grass or something you are eating or mold or something in your house (like an animal, chemical, or product). once you know what is causing the allergic reaction you can hopefully eliminate your exposure.

i currently have hives pretty bad on my chest, waist and legs from cleaning up fallen branches from the wind in the backyard. i am allergic to birch trees and happen to live and work out in a neighborhood with a lot of birch trees
its way better to know why i have the hives and eventhough i can't eliminate exposure completely i can diminish it and lessen the allergic reaction. oatmeal baths and coconut oil help my breakouts a lot, but i totally understand how annoying hives are!

·
Registered
6,609 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by krispex22 View Post

Antihistimines dont seem to be working anymore, ive tried zyrtec, , alavert, benadryl, and some natural homeopathic stuff, it all worked at first but now none of it works. Zyrtec helps a little but i doesnt take them completely away. My bf thinks may e its a vitamin deficiency. But i dont know what vitamin i would be deficient in. I did get my alpointment bumped up to next tuesdayand im on the waitin list. Ive read alot about chronic hives which is kind o what im leaning towards here and 90 percent ofthe time drs never find a cure. I have a feeling there going to try many many meds on me and nothings going to work and im just going to waste all kinds of money. At first i thought it was my detergent but i really dont think thats the case now. There so bad and nothing takes them away.
Try to have a positive attitude! You'd be amazed the kind of stuff doctor's can figure out. I knew a guy who was allergic to a kind of glue that is used in shoes. He had to be careful when buying shoes to avoid this one type of glue. I was so amazed that they had ever been able to figure something that specific out. You might be pleasantly surprised. Don't give up hope before you've even talked to one doctor!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.