VeggieBoards banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Question about what the major pitfalls and hidden non-vegan items are for a "baby vegan" (meaning me!)...I have been doing well diet wise, and I have the lists of animal derived products to use as I purchase things, but i am feeling a bit overwhelmed at the moment! For those of you who have been vegan a while, what are the biggies I should be looking out for? I find I am almost OBSESSING over food..thinking about it all day and grocery shopping last week took me 2 stores and over 3 hours, not easy with little kids along for the trip!
Are there certain common mistakes i need to be aware of? I did the obvious...removed all dairy and eggs from my diet, and am doing my best to make sure nothing i purchase has any animal products in it from this point forward...but so little is labeled vegan it is getting really overwhelming..or at least i seem to be making it that way...help?!

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
congrats! and it sounds like you're doing fine.....food is an awesome obsession....hopefully healthy though

next start looking for mono and disaccarides (sp?) they can be either animal or plant based....you won't necessarily know though unless you contact the company.
Whey is a dairy componant too, to watch for in ingredients, and natural flavors can be anything-never know with that one!

ETA: Not mono or disaccharides....mono and diyglycerides is what I meant...sorry....had just listened to a nutrition lecture.....

·
Registered
26 Posts
I know how overwhelming it can be. I remember spending more than 30 minutes at a local organic store trying to find a granola bar without honey/dairy/eggs (I eventually did find one, yay
).
Once you find products that are ok to eat, you no longer have to spend so much time searching for them - unless they change their recipe, of course.

Try not to beat yourself up over mistakes. One thing that is tedious but true: don't automatically trust organic products or all kinds of fake meats. Sometimes they can contain dairy or eggs. Read every label of every product that is new to you.

Also, you might want to buy more types of non-processed food, because they don't have endless lists of ingredients.

Hope that helps a bit.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thank you..I knew about whey, its all the sneaky ones that get me! I have been buying mostly unprocessed stuff...FAR less than I used to for sure, but I do like to have some quick options around because I have 3 little kids and the oldest one is in gymnastics 3 nights a week and also a veggie
so some days i just need a grab and go type thing for her or me...I have had to switch some brands for me, but labeling on that sort of stuff is easy..its things like a loaf of bread that make me stand in the aisle at the market totally overwhelmed...and i am so not in a place to be baking my own bread....lol..someday maybe..
That "natural flavors" one aggravates me, as does picking up vegetable soups made with beef or chicken broth

I may need someone to hold my hand when I have to buy health and beauty items....

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.