VeggieBoards banner

Help tummy troubles!!!

2K views 12 replies 12 participants last post by  Signey 
#1 ·
I just recently started becoming a vegetarian....its been about a weeks but for 2 days now I have felt horrible...I have been nauseous and have had a very bubbly tummy also have been having explained anxiety? ...I am becoming a vegetarian because I thought it would help my tummy trouble...I have felt really good up till now...not fun. Is this normal? I have read about how your body detoxes. But its only been a week?

#2 ·
Maybe you can tell us a bit about what you've been eating? Some vegetarian food can cause a lot of gas and bubblies maybe you're just not used to yet. Also, have you been taking a multivitamin? They always make me nauseous, especially if you don't take them after a meal.

#3 ·
I havent been taking a multivitamin, which i need to start. I have been trying to ease myself into this, so I have been eating some seafood since I did just have my baby 2 months ago...I have been eating nuts, whole grain bread, beans, broccoli, a little cheese, rice, quinoa....I am feeling quite discouraged...=/

#5 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules753548 View Post

I havent been taking a multivitamin, which i need to start. I have been trying to ease myself into this, so I have been eating some seafood since I did just have my baby 2 months ago...I have been eating nuts, whole grain bread, beans, broccoli, a little cheese, rice, quinoa....I am feeling quite discouraged...=/
You really don't need seafood, and depending on your choices, you could be adding mercury to your diet-and milk if you breastfeed!
Are those foods you were already familiar with? Are you sure you're cooking everything enough? When I first experimented with different grains - and quinoa-I sometimes undercooked. Try soaking overnight
You also may need to rinse the quinoa as it has a coating to discourage insects, and does cause stomach upset.
It may be the added fiber, and may be the added stress of a new baby!

Are you going this alone, and do you have support with your diet choice?
Are you going to raise your baby veg*n?

Welcome! you'll find much support here!

#6 ·
I had the same problem before i went completely cold turkey and stop eating meat all together and had an upset stomach for days. It got so bad i gave up for a few weeks and tried again. The second time i eased into it cutting out meat gradually like one meal for about a week then two meals for a few days then all meals. it took a few weeks but the second attempt worked. if you just went completely cold turkey off meat it can cause stomach problems. Gradually cutting meat out gives your stomach a chance to adjust to the change. I'm just going back to veggie and going though some of the same problems.

#8 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by vincent View Post

Sage leaf or ginger are both good remedies for indigestion. I had some indigestion problems a few years ago, and sage leaf cured them.
I've made ginger tea for headaches but have never heard of sage for the stomach. Do you just steep the leaves like a tea?

I've had stomach problems here and there. Some things causing gas and then they don't. I've been on a good run for some time. Try eating some things in small quantity and chew well. I've found that helps. And if something doesn't agree with you don't eat it. I know there are many healthy things out there but if they make you sick, it's not worth it. My stomach can't handle nuts anymore (smooth nut butters fine) I can't eat raw carrots brocolli etc anymore. They don't have to be cooked to mush, just cooked some. I do fine with salads and some other raw vegetables.

I'm wondering too if your anxiety if being caused by your stomach troubles. It would cause anxiety if you worried everything you ate would make you sick. That's understandable.

#11 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules753548 View Post

From your list it seems like the likely culprits might be the beans, nuts, whole grain bread or cheese...especially if your system wasn't used to all of these fibrous foods before making the switch to vegetarianism.

And as a new Mom I'm sure your body is still trying to get back to normal as well as the added stress that a new baby brings. Maybe too much, too soon?

A combination of trying to just simplify your menu and making sure you are getting enough rest might be enough to help with some of the indigestion.
If it continues you might want to go see your physician just to rule out anything.

I hope you feel better soon.

#12 ·
Many peoples digestive systems are simply too weak to digest many raw vegetables in spite of all their natural enzymes. Especially if you drastically change your diet overnight. Try slowing adding in raw veggies, like broccoli and maybe try cooking them- like steaming or roasting. Beans are also big gas defenders- so limit those and maybe spread your servings out a little bit throughout the day. My hubby's belly gave him gas for a bit when he started adding more veggies- but it eventually adjusted
It may take your system a bit to adjust to the change but you are making an awesome wise and healthy choice. Try this recipe for cauliflower on my blog - it is easy and delicious.
http://happyhealthyveggie.com/blog/2...ed-caulifower/

#13 ·
It could be that since you are pregnant there isn't enough room for gas and baby. This might all be moot once you deliver. That being said, Beano is a great product that helps with digesting beans, cabbage, broccoli, all the stuff that tends to create more gas. You might give that a try and if you still have lots of gas you can eliminate beans and veg as being the problem and give a closer look at dairy. Lactaid can help with digestion as can getting milk with the lactose removed. Some folk who can't tolerate cows milk can tolerate goats milk. You might have to switch thinks up a bit while you are pregnant to see what works. Good luck! Happy Baby!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.