VeggieBoards banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know how bad eggs and milk are. I would like someday to have dexter(small breed gets three feet tall) cows and my own hens so I can make sure my milk and eggs come from nice heathy well treated animals. However that wont be happening any time soon. My mom(whom i live with) wont be happy if i suddenly say "im vegan now." I kinda sneaked the vegetarian thing in by just plain not eating any meat. It took a few days for my mom to notice.

So how can i sneak in going vegan, i dont think i will be able to go completely vegan untill i move out but i want to at least lesson the amount of eggs and milk i eat and drink. Sounds easy but frankly Im a little scared.

by the way, i already have outlawed anything in which the animal had to die in order to get it(such as leather...)

Any advice you can give, id be happy to receive. Thanks yall.

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
Maybe you should do research, lots of it, and print off articles and things talking about how vegans help the environment and how healthy they are. Let her know you want to be civilized about it and you want to be able to discuss it with her.

This will show her you are being responsible and it shows your dedication to the switch. The best first step is to get answers to all the typical questions.

"Where will you get your protein?"

"Will you have to take supplements?"

"What can you eat on a vegan diet?"

"What is so appealing about veganism?"

Things like this should be specifically addressed in your research and the best part is you are learning, too. You will find out a lot of things you may not know now. Some of the things I stumbled upon were invigorating.

·
Registered
12,079 Posts
I'm trying to put myself in your mom's shoes since I have three grown kids. If one of them suddenly came to me and said they wanted to go vegan, my gut reaction would probably have been to freak out. But if I saw they were handling it in a mature, responsible fashion, like what HandcuffedAngel said, I most likely would have done some research myself and stayed as active in the changeover as possible.

I say try and start a good, open communication with your mom and see how it goes from there. If you go into it prepared and show your mom you are serious and are willing to be pro active about it with nutritional facts and helping with meal prep, it might make it a bit easier. If she is going to be dead set against it and you have to start being 'sneaky', I think that will only make it worse. You may have to compromise while you are still at home and be satisfied to be mainly veggie instead of vegan. It would be unfortunate, but I don't see another alternative unless you are willing to do battle on a daily basis. You need to assess the situation based on how your relationship is now with your mom. If it means that much to you and you can be a sneaky vegan without causing too much suspicion and distrust on your mom's part, I guess I'd say go for it. But I would try the open honest route first. Good luck!

·
Registered
5 Posts
just tell your mum! it's your life choices just like the animals! even if you owned the cows and chickens you would still be taking their milk and eggthough and is that fair? i'm not sure the cow wants you pulling on its milky teet

·
Registered
290 Posts
I went vegan without telling my family but its easy for me I live alone (apart from my two dogs!).

That way they could see I was healthy.

Why dont you find a nice vegan meal recipe and cook it for your mum, without her knowing. Then when she has eaten it you could say its vegan. Make sure its a big hearty healthy one. Make her impressed.

·
Registered
385 Posts
You can try something like this (this has worked for me):

Me: mom, I have to tell you something but please promise to be supportive and not to argue with me.

Mom: [expecting the "worst"] Are you going to tell me that you are moving 500 miles away to move in with your boyfriend?

Me: Noooo, no way. I just wanted to tell you that I've decided to be vegan.

Mom: [relieved] Well, if it's only that...

Then I gave her info from PCRM and ADA that proves from a medical perspective that vegan diets are healthy. I can find those links for you - let me know if you want them.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Yellowduckie, Here are the links. (FYI, they both talk about vegetarian diets more; however, they both mentione vegan diets as well so when I was giving this to my mom, I highlighted the parts about vegan diets).

From PCRM, I printed out this whole page. (My mom would read a printed out page rather than following links) http://www.pcrm.org/health/veginfo/vsk/veg_foods.html

Then I also emailed her the link to the whole Veg Starter Kit in case she decides to look at it: http://www.pcrm.org/health/veginfo/vsk/vsk.pdf

Then I also printed out for her the Abstract from the American Dietitic Association paper on vegetarian diets (highlighting the portions about vegans): http://www.eatright.org/cps/rde/xchg...3_ENU_HTML.htm

I also sent my mom the link to the full paper: http://www.eatright.org/ada/files/vegnp.pdf (this is unforunately a non-printable PDF unless you are a member of the ADA)

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks yall. I asked my mom about switching to soy or rice milk, she said we could try it but she would still buy milk for herself.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Do you have your own job?

When I went vegetarian, and eventually vegan, I pretty much just bought and cooked food for myself. Even then, it was a gradual process. First switching to soy milk... then switching to free-range eggs (i know i know...) then eventually not eating eggs period... then just saying "no thanks" when my mom offered me baked goods.

Of course, if you don't have a job... you could just... ask nice? Heh.

Funny story. I was at my mom's place the other day and scrolled down on the google search bar at what had been previously searched. In it, there was "vagen recipies". I love my mom.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Can't you urge her to buy hormone-free milk and milk products?

I'm vegetarian but eat eggs and drink milk and milk products... only I buy the good kind, the free-range eggs and clean milk

can't you just ask her, since you're having trouble convincing her to let you eat this way?

·
Registered
4 Posts
I recently made the switch to veganism, and my mom plain flipped. presenting her with logical arguments doesn't work since she claims all my data is "made up by those crazy vegans" "skewed by those crazy vegans" or "misquoted by those crazy vegans"

one thing I've found that eases conflict is always eating something while the rest of my family is eating...because having an empty plate makes one a nice target.

Also, cook your mom some good vegan food. my mom was suspicious, but ate and wasn't as negative after I made her a nice soymilk-chocolate-coffee freezey drink.

goodluck

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anix View Post

I recently made the switch to veganism, and my mom plain flipped. presenting her with logical arguments doesn't work since she claims all my data is "made up by those crazy vegans" "skewed by those crazy vegans" or "misquoted by those crazy vegans"

one thing I've found that eases conflict is always eating something while the rest of my family is eating...because having an empty plate makes one a nice target.

Also, cook your mom some good vegan food. my mom was suspicious, but ate and wasn't as negative after I made her a nice soymilk-chocolate-coffee freezey drink.

goodluck
yeah, I just told my mom I wanted to cut down on dairy and eggs and she said I needed the proten and calcium and she would be very angrey if i stoped eating/drinking eggs and milk. She bought me soymilk(i tryed it, loved it, she tryed it, hated it.), but once its gone its gone and we wont be going to be buying food for a long time so I know she will push me into a corner and force me to eat/drink it. lately shes been complaining a lot about how annoying my vegetarianism is and what a hassle it is to go shoping(haveing to look on the ingredient list and stuff like that). I'd go shoping for myself but no job= no money.

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
One thing I would recommend is ordering yourself some free copies of "Vegetarian Starter Kits." Here are two that I ordered that were very helpful when I first went vegan:

Humane Society of the United States: http://www.hsus.org/farm/resources/pubs/gve/

Compassion Over Killing:

http://www.tryveg.com/cfi/toc/

PETA also makes one, but since they are a controversial organization, I think your mom might respond better to information from a more reputable organization like the humane society. Both of the above starter kits are wonderful, they briefly cover nutrition, animal welfare, and environmental reasons to go veg, plus they contain recipes. They answer a lot of basic questions like "where will you get your calcium" etc. My husband finally went vegetarian after reading the Compassion over Killing starter kit.

Good luck!

·
Registered
41 Posts
wow, i never knew people had to be sneaky to be vegan. When i told my mom i was vegan it was just that. It was my decision and does not effect anyone but me. I dont know why people would act as if this change is any of their decision. It is a personal desicion and should be left at that. My mom told me she would not buy me vegan food, but i was like whatever, ill deal.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.