VeggieBoards banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to the farmers market this morning to pick up my CSA share and I got a daikon radish (among MANY other things). I have never had it before, but would like to try it. Has anyone here ever prepared daikon? I eat mostly raw, but I am not sure that I would like this raw (I am weird with super crunchy vegetables) so any light cooking/braising methods would be helpful!

·
Super Moderator
8,961 Posts
I tried daikon from Alicia Silverstones Kind Diet. She grated it, squeezed out he juice, for a drink that I believe was to help with congestion (not sure about that part).
I didn't get to that part, because I thinly sliced it, on a mandolin slicer, and really like it just like that. It was great with hummus, not spicy, but a nice flavor, and I liked the crunch.
I think that's what is used in falafel pitas. The purple pickle sticks.
I think it would great pickled

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the recipe, like I said I am mostly raw and I do not eat anything that has soy or wheat in it or that has been processed. I think that I will make a cashew cream to go on it ... THANKS!

·
Registered
8,591 Posts
just grate it, and serve it on top of your salad or whatever. I LOVE fresh daikon! I enjoy it with Tofu Steaks and Natto Miso...

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herbivoracious View Post

Oops, how foolish of me! Sorry for the completely non-functional dressing. Good luck with the cashew cream.
It wasn't foolish! I made a mistake ... I posted the info on my diet in another thread ... oops

·
Registered
468 Posts
I most often boil it until its soft and make miso soup w/ daikon and scallions. I eat it raw sometimes too, it's not as bitter/strong as the red radishes.

The carrot recipe looks good. I'm growing some daikon in my garden this year so i'll have to give that one a try.

·
Super Moderator
8,961 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by maggiesdaddy View Post

Thanks again everyone for the help! I welcome more suggestions, but after reading this http://www.mitoku.com/products/dried...efits_dai.html
I think that I can power through it if it turns out I don't like it. The benefits seem worth it.
WOW! thanks for that info-packed link!
"Cooking daikon with a kombu broth is said to help the body eliminate excess dairy productsoking daikon with a kombu broth is said to help the body eliminate excess dairy products"
That-as well as supposing to help with congestion is enough to use it no matter if I liked it or not! I do. It's really so mild and clean flavored. I imagine juicing with cucumber and would make an incredibly refreshing drink.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts