VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
3,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Previously I asked about the WII, and since I probably won't go that route, can you guys list your favorite videos, esp since youtube is loaded....what are good, legitimate ones, and

how about DVDs that you can by in stores locally....are any of them any good...primarily WM or Dicks sporting goods?

Need the beginner ones first!

TIA

·
Registered
3,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Kris, that doesn't do me any good, but thanks!
missed seeing you around the boards lately!

·
Registered
12,079 Posts
I just purchased two Denise Austin DVDs. Yes, I know some people can't stand her...I can tolerate her, however, and I love these DVDs: Denis Austin Body Burn w/Dance and Pilates (1 dance and 2 pilates workouts, one of which is standing pilates which is the one I do).

My favorite is her Get Fit Daily Dozen. There is a 12 minute workout for each day of the week. I combine 2 or three depending on how energetic I feel.

Mon. - cardio-athletic fat blast - 12 min.
Tues. - lower body sculpt/abs - 12 min.
Wed. - cardio kickbox burn - 12 min.
Thurs. - upper body sculpt/abs - 12 min.
Fri. - cardio-athletic fat blast or cardio kickbox burn - 12 min.
Sat. & Sun. - yoga stretch - 12 min.

There is also a way to customize the order of the workouts, so I can do the cardio, yoga, kickbox, yoga and they will come on one right after the other. It's pretty cool. The whole 12 minute thing helps me not get bored, too.

If I sound a little excited, it's because I am sorely lacking in the motivation department, lately, and I finally found something that is working for me.

I don't know what stores they are available in, however. I purchased mine from Amazon.com.

·
Registered
3,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I did watch some youtube videos, and watched Denise too, as a matter of fact. I'll check out hulu....I never get on there....Thanks for the suggestions.

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
I always do the MTV yoga DVD, it's simple, i think maybe a little faster in some places than normal yoga, but it's simple yet difficult enough that you can do most things but it's still kind of hard, i've been doing it for a while and still can't do some poses, i'm getting better and better, i'm pretty sure it's cheap as well, the total exercise time is 40 minutes.

·
Registered
3,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
cool...is that online or a DVD?

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
If you like a lot of variety there are two excellent sites I know where you can stream videos - one is www.yogatoday.com (free + paid options, but all videos are 60min in length) and the other is www.myyogaonline.com you pay $9.95 a month for streaming, but you can download videos as well for an extra charge per video.

Another option is www.yogadownload.com - they do a lot of audio downloads - don't be put off by the fact they are audio only, the instructions are excellent. A lot of the classes have a free 20min audio download for you to try (and sometimes, 20 minutes may be all you have time for!) They also have a limited amount of videos. You can join and download a lot of audios, or you can buy them separately.

The main advantage I find with these sites is that you get to try lots of styles of yoga and experience lots of yoga teaching styles - which is good when you are starting out.

·
Banned
2,587 Posts
i luv yogatoday: http://yogatoday.com/ they offer a free trial (a few years ago it used to all be free...) that is good, the classes are great i luv the instructors and they have a good mix of levels for beginners to advanced. i kinda like the idea of subscribing bc i am more apt to do it regularly since i paid, like going to a regular yoga class.

i also use yoga podcasts often: http://www.yogajournal.com/podcast/ these are free and great.
another: http://hillarysyogapractice.wordpress.com/

·
Registered
3,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
that's very helpful you guys! thanks so much!

·
Registered
3,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I've watched some of her videos too...did you see the one where the cat jumped up and got her in her privates? Ouch!

·
Registered
1,009 Posts

·
Registered
423 Posts

·
Registered
3,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
cool, thanks!

·
Registered
121 Posts
Kate Potter's Namaste Yoga Practice or Namaste: The Five Elements in Yoga Practice. I love her stuff.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts