VeggieBoards banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright then, I'm a vegan. My problem is my parents don't know I'm a vegan. Seems odd, but they haven't noticed [kinda sad if you think about it...]. Anyway, I don't want to tell them is because the last time I went veggie, I didn't have the slightest clue about nutrition and ended up not getting enough iron. Now, I'm more educated and can handle all my nutrition problems but they don't believe me. I've brought up being a vegan before and they've totally freaked out.

Basically, I need help with weather I should tell them or not. And if I should, how should I do it without them going insane?

help?

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
If you are well educated about nutrition now I would just be vegan and don't tell them. If they ask you if you want milk then just say it makes you throat feel cloggy or something.

If you do tell them you can do a search for "vegan American Dietetic Association" on your favourite search engine and get all the facts from a non-vegan site.

It would also be good to show them that even athletes do well on a vegan diet.

Quote:
What has been your experience as a vegan athlete? Have you noticed any performance or health benefits or problems?

Faster recovery times are the primary advantage I've noticed. Since I'm able to recover faster I can train more which of course leads to greater gains. The only negative thing I can say about a vegan diet is the convenience factor. It's of course hard to find balanced vegan food when eating out. Really though it's a small price to pay for the advantages. As more people are becoming vegan it's getting easier to find good food while traveling or eating out.
http://www.organicathlete.org/index....ask=view&id=79

Make sure you get a b12 supplement.

Good on you for taking the next step.

·
Registered
286 Posts
If i were you, and my parents didnt notice, I wouldn't tell them. If they ask why i wasnt eating certian food thats when i would tell them. but untill they realy ask you, id be silent.

·
Registered
39 Posts
or at least offer another angle to consider....if you do not tell them how will you get the proper foods in your home? Bread, soy milk, vegan butter, faux meats, vitamins etc?

I like the option some one suggested of printing out some good info (that is after you have really done some reading on nutrition) and sit down with them and explain your plans. Not all parents are bullys and if you kind of messed up before, it is only natural for them to doubt you....but if you are smart and diplomatic rather than emotional you can get them on your team to help make sure that you have everything you need to make this work...including the proper vitamins

Good Luck!

·
Registered
23 Posts
I understand how you feel. I went vegan a few years back, and messed my body up by not getting enough vitamins, and I found out that I needed a TON of calcium to stay healty, (milk is easiest) and I would be taking a ton of supplements, so my parents kind of made me go back to eating meat, and it was just a big mess. I found that organic milk is good for my case, but thats me, you know. Not everyone else. So just be patient, and know that you will find its easier to tell them when your ready. I just kind of told my dad, hey, I don't want to eat meat, and he was like, oh like vegetarian? I said yes, and he just shrugged his shoulders.

Good luck!

·
Registered
7,014 Posts
I'm with Dace on this one. Your parents need to know. The real question is how to tell them, I would think.

If they're likely to freak out and start arguing with you you as soon as you say something, then maybe write a letter explaining it to them. Explain that you've studied the nutritional requirement. List the things that you hope they'll get for you when they go shopping, to help you stay healthy. Site references like the ADA (mentioned above) that say it's healthy.

Then hand them the letter when you're on your way out the door to go somewhere, and you know they're going to be home for a while. That will force them to read the whole thing and think about it before you get back. If you're not there, they won't be able to stop reading in the middle to start arguing with you. Maybe pick an evening when they're home and you're going out with your friends for a couple of hours or something.

Good luck,

--Fromper

·
Registered
343 Posts
How about inviting them to a vegan group dinner and tell them there? You can probably find a group that eats together once a month if you look in the paper or online. There are tons of vegetarian groups that get together to share recipes, discuss nutrition, do what we do online in person. Your parents can meet some new people who will help educate them. And you can get some support from people who know your area and situation.

·
Registered
385 Posts
if your over 18.. it ain't none they business.. but under 18.. yeah. Just say "no thank you" when they offer and make your own nutritious food.

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
If you still live with your parents I would tell them, because I presume they buy the food.

If I had never told my mother I'd be in a horrible position right now considering I need her to understand what I will and will not eat so she knows what she can and cannot buy when she goes shopping for me.

This is very important. She also knows which vitamins I need so she can make sure I have those as well. She has also been experimenting on the stove and helping me to find recipes that are delicious and nutritious, she has even been making her own personal vegan marinades that she uses to make Portabello Burgers.

It was easier to tell her. Be dedicated.

Because of the way I am she knew I was dead serious and so she immediately caved and helped me. She knew that I was putting my mind to this and it didn't matter if she didn't buy me food, because I just wouldn't eat if nothing was available to me.

Let them know how serious you are by presenting important information and don't back down. If you can't buy your own food and you are still living with your parents and being supported by them then it's going to be easier for you to just tell them.

·
Registered
31 Posts
you have to tell your parents that you are vegan. there is no way you are getting the good nutrition that you are talking about unless your parents are crazy healthy and buy crap loads of vegetables and fruits, nuts, whole grains, soy milk, etc...

and no, you don't need fake meats or soy butter or any of that crap.

you don't even need to mess with that yet. it'll just freak out your parents.

you need to tell them because if you don't there is no way you will be able to stick with it for very long. and i assume that is what you want?

when i told my mom i was going to go vegan, i didnt ask her, i told her.

i took her to panara, got some soy latte and sat down and told her that being vegan is how i want to live,, and i told her about all the health benefits (stay clear of enironmental benefits cause your parents dont care about the environment, they care about you). i told her that with all the health benefits of being vegan there was no way that i was going to keep eating fatty cholesterol packed foods like cheese, eggs, and milk.

but seriously, you need to tell them. because once you do, you can really be vegan. until then, you will just be scaping the surface of veganism.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts