VeggieBoards banner
21 - 35 of 35 Posts

· Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Okay...I think I've just about beaten this thing into the ground....My poor pig must receive a name.....so...here goes How about plain old Lucy? The reason for this is that 1) she has dark hair the color of Lucy Lui, and 2) she whines like Lucy from I Love Lucy. The other night I was watching her run around the cage wheeping like crazy until I got up and went over to see what she wanted. Well....she wanted me to get her some hay. I thought about how Lucy on I love Lucy would whine and whine until she got Ricky to do what she wanted. I thought...hmmmm...perhaps my piggy should be called Lucy, too. What do you guys think?

· Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Thanks for the compliments. I sorta think Lucy is a cutie, too...I'm not a prod mommy, now am I?
I will take photos of Wild Child and Docile and post them as soon as I can get those two to stand still enough to have their pictures taken. Lucy is so much better at letting us do things. It's funny, but Lucy used to be the one who would hide all the time, now it's the other way around. I guess you never know when it comes to piggies.

· Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Well.....I can't believe I finally go off and name my pig and what happens....I discover that Lucy is actually RICKY!! She...uhhh I mean, he impregnated Docile! I just discovered yesterday that I have a pregnant pig. To think that I set out to only have female pigs and I ended up with a male. I don't have space for a zillion little pigs, but I don't know what else to do with them. Even if I could find a good home for the baby/ies, I know me..I"ll get too attached to want to let it/them go. Oh...the horror....the agony....

It's funny cause Lucy...uh...Ricky seems to be strutting around the cage these days...I think he knows he's about to become a dad! Oh my!! I've never been through a birth...(well, I've been through the birth of my children, but never piggies)....I hope all goes well. I will keep everyone posted.

Oh...I was asked to provide pictures of Docile and Wild Child. I mentioned that I was having a hard time getting them to "pose" for the camera...well, now I know why. They kept hiding in their little house....perhaps Docile was feeling a bit "un-pretty" with her new larger size and all. I just have to keep reassuring her that big is beautiful!

· Registered
444 Posts
Oh no!

Have you moved Ricky into a seperate cage yet? If not, do so right away - sows go into heat and can become pregnant again right after birth, and you don't know how far along she is.

Read this page on labour, etc. so you'll know what to expect: http://www.guinealynx.info/breeding.html (and you can skip that part at the top - I know you weren't breeding intentionally). And make sure you have a good, pig-knowledgeble vet lined up. Guinealynx also has advice on finding a good vet, if you don't already have one.

Also, hone your sexing skills now so this doesn't happen again. This page should be helpful: http://www.cavyspirit.com/sexing.htm Are you absolutely certain the other two are females?

You already have a C&C cage, right? Depending on how many babies there are, you might be able to enlarge the cage and put a divider in (I think there are pics of cages like that at the cavycages website), and put the male(s) with dad and the female(s) with the other girls.

I hope everything goes well. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you that it's a small litter and you'll be able to make space to keep them. I'm sure you wouldn't let them go to anything but a great home, but even so, I know it would be hard to part with them.

· Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Just a quick question...(I will read the info you sent, Minibean, this afternoon when I get in from Bible study)....if the other pig has two little nipples poking out like the pregnant piggie, but they are just not as pronounced, does this pretty much mean she is a girl, or could this mean she is pregnant, too???

I separated the piggies yesterday, and Mr. Pig was not too happy about being away from the girls. I had to do it, as he was trying to mate with the poor pregnant one again. The other piggie was fighting him as if to protect the pregnant one. Oh my...my soap opera continues...

· Registered
444 Posts
Males have nipples too, but they're smaller. The only way to tell the sexes for sure is to use the methods in the link I gave you. If you have a hard time telling yourself, have a vet confirm for you.

It's possible your other girl (is she is indeed a girl) is pregnant, too, but let's hope not!

Do you have any idea how far along Doclie is? I would probably seperate the other piggie from her too just in case "she" is actually a male, too...it would be awful is she delivered and became pregnant again.

Hopefully there'll be a male baby to keep Mr. Pig company so he doesn't have to live alone.

· Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
My husband looked at the link you provided and determined that we have two females and one male. I just have no idea if the other female is pregnant. As far as Docile goes, I don't know when she got pregnant, but she has to be pretty far along. I had a nurse friend of mine check her out yesterday, and we could feel the babies kicking inside of her. She is huge and has been spending more and more time inside of her little house resting. Do you think this means we will be hearing some little squeaks soon?

· Registered
444 Posts
Oh, by the way, make sure to give the mom calcium-rich veggies while she's pregnant, and I think it's recommended while she's nursing also. Parsely, kale, dandelion greens, spinach, etc. She should also have alfalfa hay - not to replace grass hay, but just as an addition to the diet. Babies can eat alfalfa (in addition to the grass hay) up until about 6 months.

Also, supplement her with Vit. C while she's pregnant and nursing, about 50 mg a day (but not in the water). The 100 mg chewable tablets for humans, cut in half, is an easy way to do this. Piglet doesn't like chewable C tablets straight, like some pigs do, so I crush hers up and roll it up in a piece of wet lettuce - she eats it that way (albeit a bit grudgingly!)

I don't know much about pregnancy/how to tell when delivery will happen, never having had a pregnant pig. You can probably find some good threads on it if you do a search on the Guinealynx forums.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.