VeggieBoards banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I need some advice for my mom who is struggling with pescetarianism. We are trying to get her to go vegetarian but she is having problems stomaching beans. She literally keels over in pain for like two days from even a little bit of beans. She LOVES them, but she does not seem to be able to stomach them. Anyway...this is the email I got from her today.. She seems to be getting discouraged : (

"I've actually been thinking lately that I want to get a vegetarian magazine. Of course, then I would need some time to actually read the magazine...then there is the issue of not having time to cook for myself.
The problem I am having is I either don't like a lot of the ingredients in vegetarian recipes or they have too many calories (think mac & cheese or other delicious pasta dishes) or I can't eat the ingredients (like the beans we have previously discussed). I find it all pretty frustrating. I have tried to learn how to like things like peppers & onions but can't seem to learn how...I love any kind of bean yet can't eat them....and I don't really like most of the meat substitutes which I try to eat for the protein."

Help?!?

·
Registered
375 Posts
Time for a cookbook?

I'm skeptical about the 'too many calories' argument, because it doesn't seem like she's been able to eat much at all!

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
She has all the vegetarian cookbooks I gave her when I went vegan. She says they all focus on beans and onions and peppers. I honestly ate like crap as a vegetarian so I don't really know what to recommend she eat. And when I am trying to eat healthy I tend to focus on whole foods and beans are always a part of it. She is good on snacks and stuff- she loves almonds and yogurt and seems to do ok with fruit. Something with beans just doesnt agree with her. Is there a way to have her get used to them?

·
Registered
642 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmrush View Post

Time for a cookbook?
Agreed, cooking definitely made going vegetarian easier back in the day, and made veganism easy too.

·
Registered
642 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nimbus32 View Post

She has all the vegetarian cookbooks I gave her when I went vegan. She says they all focus on beans and onions and peppers. I honestly ate like crap as a vegetarian so I don't really know what to recommend she eat. And when I am trying to eat healthy I tend to focus on whole foods and beans are always a part of it. She is good on snacks and stuff- she loves almonds and yogurt and seems to do ok with fruit. Something with beans just doesnt agree with her. Is there a way to have her get used to them?
Oh well you could look for a low cal veg cookbook?

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeLines View Post

Oh well you could look for a low cal veg cookbook?
She has some... the real problem is beans. Is there any way for her stomach to get used to them?

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ira View Post

is it all beans? even grean beans and lentils?
yeh she made a lentil soup and had an upset stomach for two days... I think green beans are ok.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Has your mum been to the doctors about this bean thing, because it sounds completly abnormal to me, and maybe something is wrong? (I am assuming there's no medical reason she currently knows because she didn't mention it... but I may be wrong).

I don't know where you live... is there any resturaunts with good vegetarian options nearby you that you could go to for ideas perhaps? She could also just omit the onion in recipes.

Also, not liking onions is hard because onions are in almost all recipes, vegetarian or otherwise. However in recipes could your mum substitute them with leeks (delicious!) or celery or something perhaps?

Recipes I can think of that I eat that don't have beans or peppers:

- Morrocan stew (often with squash, sweet potato or root vegetables, spices, dried fruit, ground almonds and lemon) with cous cous or rice, and toasted almonds on top
- Mushroom pie (mushroom, brandy or wine sauce, I often put chestnuts but I don't know if they'd be okay with your mum as texture wise they're more beany than nutty) with potatos of some kind and vegetables. (This is quite time consuming to make, and some might see pastry as too calorific, but you could just put pastry over the top... and it's so delicious!)
- Stir frys, with sweetcorn, mushrooms, cabbage, carrots, beansprouts, etc, and with a stir-fry sauce this can take like 10min MAX to prepare and cook
My mum used to put peanuts in stir frys too
- Curries with whatever vegetables you choose, potatos and green beans, mushrooms and peas, aubergine and okra, are all favourites of mine.
- Has she tried tofu? I don't eat it myself, but when cooked well, it's a good source of low fat protein, and it's not a fake meat, it just takes on the flavours you cook it with, so that could be good.

I'd also reccomend BBC food for recipes, http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/, if you go "advanced search" you can look for quick and easy, vegetarian and healthy main courses, and then narrow down by what types of food you like to try and find some things your mum might like. 7 pages come up so hopefully some will be bean and pepper free.

·
Registered
888 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Identity_thief View Post

Also, not liking onions is hard because onions are in almost all recipes, vegetarian or otherwise. However in recipes could your mum substitute them with leeks (delicious!) or celery or something perhaps?
Tell me about it- the only vegetables I really dislike are onions, leeks and celery! Lol.

Nimbus, is soya protein something your mum can handle? Tofu in stir frys (as has already been suggested) might help, or you can puree silken tofu and make omlette and quiche-like foods. Pasta is easy. Quinoa is a good source of protein and could be used in place of couscous in a lot of recipes.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Well you said she doesn't like onions and peppers but is it just that she doesn't like the way they taste a particular way? Cooked onions and peppers are way different in taste and from raw ones and the flavor can vary on how they're cooked. I don't normally like bell pepper but I sauted the crap out of some for a pasta the other night and they were fabulous.

It sounds like she's a pretty picky eater (aside from the issue with beans). I used to be a picky eater too but I find that there's always a way of cooking everything that will make me change my mind about a food. If she wants to be a vegetarian she's going to have to cook and try out some of the recipes in the books you gave her. Also what about chickpeas? Green beans? Snap peas? If she can't eat any of them and she's unwilling to cook and experiment with different ways of cooking foods then I don't know what else to say.

Good luck though!

·
Registered
13 Posts
I'm a picky eater. I don't do raw veggies - don't like the taste but I will eat them cooked. I don't like to mix a bunch of vegetables together either. I'll eat a piece of corn, or peas but I don't do the whole mixing a bunch of veggies together unless it's goolosh. And yes - a lot of cookbooks will do that - they throw together a bunch of veggies that I have never heard of and sometimes the meals don't look very appetizing. Maybe your mother can list all of the vegetable/vegetarinian (nonbean) foods/meals that she does like, come up with a meal plan and go from there. I am trying to eat a little healthier and move away from junk and processed food so I plan to pick up more fresh veggies and stay away from the canned foods and saute those in olive oil. I was in the supermarket today and saw some eggplant parmesan - it was processed but it seemed like something nice to add to my diet. I'm not a big fan of eggplant but I did enjoy the dish when someone cooked it for me. Also there may be some italian dishes (because of the cheese) that are hard to digest. I love italian but the cheese gets me sometimes. Maybe she can just take things one day and one meal at a time. She might want to spend some time in a supermarket and really look at the foods and think about what she likes. If she's going to pick up a vegetarian cookbook, she should pick up one's that are geared towards her specific needs. She could always visit amazon or a bookstore and check out the book before purchasing or even google some recipes.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Have you tried some of the meat subsitutes out there? They have lots of protein, iron, etc. but they are often a good way to ease people into being meat-free.

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Identity_thief View Post

i don't eat onions. you can either substitute something like celery or leave them out entirely which i tend to do.

·
Registered
8,743 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
She shouldn't worry too much about high calorie. I have a hypothesis about why I can eat so much and still lose/maintain but what I can say is that there are vegetarians out there that can eat a bunch and it wouldn't cause a weight problem like it did as an omni.

Have her look for recipes online for her specific dietary needs.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts