VeggieBoards banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of the things I love most about being vegetarian is all of the new and tasty foods I have had the opportunity to experiment with, but I have to admit that I have been totally humbled by Socca! I just can't seem to get it right.

It probably doesn't help that I've never actually had the opportunity to try the real thing first, but nonetheless I am determined to make this work. Please help me if you can.

The basic recipe I am using is as follows:

1 cup chickpea flour
1 cup warm water
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon black pepper
1 tablespoon olive oil

Plus liberal use of olive oil in cooking.

Is Socca supposed to be thin like a tortilla or chapati, or thick and soft?

How many servings should I get out of the above recipe?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Dig

·
Registered
5,229 Posts
Hmm... I don't even know what this is. I'd probably like it though- chickpeas are the bomb!

Do you like what you're making? I'd think that's more important than whether or not they're authentic... unless you're planning to serve them to guests who are expecting them to be a certain way, but you've made them different, and they take a bite and say "Huh??!!!... Wha??!!......"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger View Post

It probably doesn't help that I've never actually had the opportunity to try the real thing first...
That happens to me when I make Indian food. It comes out rather nicely usually, but then I have the real thing in a restaurant and it tastes much better. Or maybe just different.

·
Registered
1,714 Posts

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
Okay, update.

I made 2 batches last night. First one had way, way too much salt and was virtually inedible (dogs did eat it though). I swear the lady in the video put two tsp of salt in her batch... do not do, lol. I went to 1/2 tsp on the second batch, much, much better.

Other note, the cast iron skillet (well seasoned) with just a little bit of oil worked like a champ on cooking the stuff. Came right out when it was done.

Going to have to try some different varieties now and maybe someday try the real stuff to see if what I cooked is even remotely close to how it's supposed to be.

·
Registered
922 Posts
I also love Socca. It is a speciality found in Nice and Italy. It it cooked in a cast iron pan and served hot with loads of pepper and cut into strip like pieces. It is rather thin a bit like a crèpe and crispy. The amount of salt you mention is far too much. Even 1 tps per 1 cup seems a lot.
It is served as a nibble or snack not really a meal as it is starchy.

http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=pho...w=1244&bih=788

1 - 6 of 6 Posts