VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am an ovo-lacto vegetarian.

I am strongly considering going vegan.

only I have one problem. my mom won't let me.

with out my bringing it up she had a discussion with my friends mom (my friends also veggie) and they decided that if either of us wanted to go vegan "well, we just wouldnt let you"

later when we were talking about it she said "if you went vegan there's no way you'd get enough protein and nutrients." and something along the lines of " you'd have to eat HUGE amounts of food to get everything you need"

now I know this isn't true, but I was wondering if any of you knew of some sites/articles that could help me prepare a factual defense against my mother.

any help will be greatly appreciated.

Peace, Luv,

Dodger

(if i should have posted this under parenting/relationships, i apoligize)

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
If you want something more concrete to hand to your mom, How it All Vegan is a really good book, too.

Let us know how it turns out.

·
Registered
4,778 Posts
http://www.pcrm.org

it's a bunch of doctors telling your mum that SHE should go vegan. Everything they say is footnoted and backed up by scientific studies. Their president, Neal Barnard is a very cool fella and has written some good books about nutrition. He recommends nothing BUT vegan for EVERYONE.

The site has a "Vegetarian Starter Kit" online, but you can also order it for $2 to hand out to sceptics. Tell them if thay can refute what's in there, you are not gonna go vegan. They won't be able to do it neither scientifically, nor ethically, nor environmentally. If you have problems with arguments --> just post here.

Veg. starter kit:

http://pcrm.org/health/veginfo/vsk/index.html

Also:

"Vegetarian Diets for Children: Right from the Start"

http://pcrm.org/health/veginfo/veg_d..._children.html

and

Vegetarian Diets: Advantages for Children

http://pcrm.org/health/veginfo/vegetarian_kids.html

more here:

http://pcrm.org/health/veginfo/index.html

Strong bones site (against milk):

http://www.strongbones.org/

Healthy School Lunches Program ("School lunches are weapons of mass destruction...")

http://www.healthyschoollunches.org

·
Banned
559 Posts
my mom basically told me the same thing, when i told her, at 15, i was going to try and be vegan for a week.

she flipped. oh how she flipped out...

however, when i actually became vegan at 16, she learned to accept it (she read lots of books and such) and cooked me awsome vegan meals (she still does when i go home!). so yeah, the lit and sites should help her see the light

good luck, she'll probably come around!

·
Registered
0 Posts
I had the exact same problem with my parents. However I just told them that NO WAY, I was not eating the rubbish! And i just stopped eating milk eggs etc but then she said right if the doctor says it's ok then fine you can be vegan..the doctor surprisingly said that it was fine and i seemed to know lots about it! so that was it my mum had to let me. But she didn't seem to realise that even if the doc said it was bad idea...I would still have become vegan...I mean she couldn't force it down my throat! so dodger just stick up to her and show her how much your beliefs mean to you and she can't stop you because it's your life and your decision!

·
Registered
4,211 Posts
Ok, i may not be a nutritionist, but I do have some help:

The british vegetarian society gives a guide on going vegetarian, and it's for the parent-teen perspective. It's not got much on veganism, but it shoul provide some help.

http://www.vegsoc.org/youth/Parentteenager.pdf

However, there is help, in the form of the British vegan society. They have a whole load of information sheets about differnt aspects of a vegan diet, including nutrition:

http://www.vegansociety.com/html/info/infohome.html

And if you want a more light-hearted approach towards the conversion to veganism, check out this site:

http://www.soyouwanna.com/site/syws/vegan/vegan.html

And if it is a case of your parents simply not letting you be vegan, you can always just go vegan, and hopefully, they'll back down, and support you. But ideally, you are after a way of doing it with the support of your parents, as this makes hte whole thing easier.

You'll need to learn nutrition, and where vegans get protein, calcium, iron and vitamin B12 from. These are the four nutrients which omnis worry about. Here's some help for each of them:

Protein

This is a no brainer. Traditionally, proetin has been seen as only available in animal products. However, plants do contain protein. Your parents may believe that milk is the only source of protein that you get, so that's why they may be resistant to you goin gvegan. However, beans, nuts, mushrooms and grains are quite high in protein. Also, soy products like tofu, tempeh etc are full of complete protein. And so is quinoa. The protein issue is an exaggeration. it is difficult not to get enough protein on any diet, as long as you are eating enough. Protein is in almost everything. And as long as you don't eat the same thing every day, you should be getting all your amino acids.

Calcium

Now I personally hate milk. I've always disliked the taste of it, and most dairy products are disgusting in my opinion. I'm still ovo-lacto though. Anyway, it pisses me off when people think of milk as the only source of calcium. Yes, milk does contain calcium, and yes, ther eis ****loads of calcium in milk. However, there's ****loads of calcium in vegan food. Tahini and other sesame seed products, broccoli, kale and even beans are sources of calcium. They raen't gievn the same priority as milk, which is a shame, because it makes it harder for people to undertsand veganism. Also, soem soymilks are fortified with calcium, which is a bonus. You can get info on calcium at:

http://www.vegansociety.com/html/faq/faq.htm#faq6

Iron

This is another major concern for most omnis. Iron is viewed as a nutrient which is only available in red meat. As you may know, iron is present in blood, and we need it to keep our blood flowing well. Therefore, blood is a good source of iron. You won't find that many anaemic vampires!! However, the myth that iron is only present in meat is one which is valuable to the meat industry. So, do bear in mind that green leafy vegetables exist. Don't bother with spinach. Iron in spinach isn't absorbed that well. But other green leafy's are great for iron. Here's some foods which are good sources of iron:

Non-vegetarian sources of iron

Red Meat

Guinness*

Vegetarian sources of iron

Quinoa

Green leafy veg

food cooked in cast iron cookware. (Yup)

Also, the more ascorbic acid (vitamin C) you get, the more iron you absorb. Vitamin C is found in fruit and veg. now, how many vegans are deficient in vitamin C? So you shoudl absorb iron quite well. There are other veg-sources of iron. i'm just not well versed in nutrition. Oh yeah, and hold back on the earl grey as ell. tea reduces absorbtion of iron.

*Guinness is a great source of iron. Unfortunately, it's run through an isinglass fining process, so it's not vegetarian. But hopefully, they'll see the light and make Guiness vegetarian sometime soon.

Vitamin B-12

This is where you're pretty much f**ked. Vitamin B-12 is made by bacteria. These bacteria provide B-12 for animals, so therefore, animal products contain B-12. These bacteria are also present in your intestinal system, so they'll produce B-12 for you. The bad news is that this isn't absorbed, and you just **** it out, but by eating your own cturds, you can get B-12. This doesn't seem to be an option for most people, so therefore, you'll be relying on fortified foods or supplements. here's how to get B-12 on a vegan diet:

http://www.vegansociety.com/html/faq/faq.htm#faq7

Hopefully, your parents will agree with your decision. If all else fials, you could simply go vegan without parental approval, but this would make things difficult. You can gett he approval of a nutritinist. Most will know that vegans can gett he right nutrition, though there are a few who will be against the idea. try to find soem independent sources about vegan diets and health. PCRM may provide pro-veg nutrition, but your parents may be skeptical of them.

Good luck!! I hope your parents are Ok. And remember, if you go intovthe conversation informed, you shoudl be Ok.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
i feel really wimpy for saying this, but i'm not just going to "spring it on her"

i have been cooking for my family once a week, and have been cooking vegan when i do. i'm thinking that i'l keep this up for a month (give or take) and then after all the times she's told me "this is so helthy, and low fat and wow it even has protien" she will find it a lot harder to tell me that the very thing she praised is detrimental to my helth.

yeah i coud take the forward, hand-her-a-book approch, but i'm a wimp, and my moter can be very hard to handle.

in any case, i will definaly keep all of this information, even if right now it's only for my own benift

thanks again,

Dodger

·
Registered
4,778 Posts
Sounds like a plan! You're not a wimp. You know her best, so do what you think is best.

I really respect teenagers who go veggy (or make up their mind) while still living at home. Oh, I would have chickened out for sure!!!

·
Registered
0 Posts
What better source on nutrition than the American Dietetic Association?

This is an organization for professional dieticians and nutritionists, which is widely recognized as an authoritative source of information on nutrition and diet by the medical community. As it is not directly associated with vegetarianism, your mother is perhaps more likely to take it as an unbiased source of information.

Here is their official position paper on vegetarian/vegan nutrition:

http://www.eatright.com/adap1197.html

·
Registered
8,451 Posts
i agree with what many people posted here, but i would also make a long process of it--since that would be easier on your mom.

for instance, you may want to give up everything all at once, but try one thing at a time. Mom, i want to give up milk products because of these health effects. I'm going to substitute with soy milk--and notice how the nutritional spectrum is similar, or even better with soy milk. I'll also eat more nuts and beans for added protien, which also gives me calcium and iron. Please watch to make sure that i stay healthy.

Once she's comfortable with that, you can say: MOm, i'm going to reduce my egg consumption. I'd like to reduce it to one or two eggs per week. if i'm still healthy, with fewer eggs, i'd like to reduce egg consumption altogether. Until then, could we buy eggs from X source (humane source)? I find that one of my primary concerns is the treatment of animals in food acquisition. This product will meet not only my physical needs, but my moral and emotional needs as well.

Your mom probably wants to have a very moral child. It's part of what parents try to instill in their children. HOnestly, your mom has done a great job raising you, since you've questioned some major social structures--and come to some interesting conclusions. This is what she raised you to do. So, but discovering and trying to live your own morality, you are doing what she taught you to do.

But also recognize that mom's have a lot of love and concern for the health and welfare of their children. I think that you've done a great job of keeping her in the process, but perhaps you can explain your reasoning more, and how you plan to "attack" becoming a healthy vegan.

Also, you may want to explain to her that being vegan may not be perminant for you. Although i highly, highly value many of the vegan ideas, i find myself no longer vegan--primarily for health reasons. As an ovo-vegetarian, i try to find the most humane ways of getting eggs--i'm very mindful of sources.

You may want to explain to your mom that if *you* are not healthy as a vegan, or do not feel that you are healthy, you are not afriad to try and find other ways of gettin gthe nutrients that you need, of giving up an ideal for your health--and finding another way of being equally moral.

Does this make sense?

I was vegan for aout 3 years before returning fully to ovo vegetarianism. it's a good path, but not a path for everyone.

·
Banned
10,763 Posts
I agree with Molly. The American Dietetic Association is the best source of info to tell your mom about. Why? Because they are not a vegetarian organization. They research and evaluate any and all kinds of diets, and inform people what they have found. They are not for any particular diet, just for finding out the scientific truth about various ideas, or claims. This is much more likely to convince someone than the propoganda of a vegetarian organization.

That is what led me to become vegetarian, too. I was a biology student, and like all biology students, I learned that green plants and micro-organisms were the chemical factories that produced all the nutrients needed by mammals.. And of course, earth's soil layer is the chemical factory that produces all the nutrients needed by green plants.

Except for micronutrients supplied by symbiotic micro-organisms living in our digestive tracts, and oxygen from the air, we come from soil, via green plants. Green plants are the intermediary between soil and us. Soil is god, green plants are priests. Green plants can regulate our chemistry too, not just supply us with nutrients.

·
Banned
10,763 Posts
If you have a vegan diet, there are no issues. You just have to learn a bit about nutrition -- the same things you have to learn if you have an omnivorous diet.

Where does the protein we consume come from? Originally? The answer is plants. Where does the calcium we utilize to constuct our bones and teeth come from? The answer is rocks. However we normally get it indirectly, via green plants, which get it from the rocks in the soil.

If there is anything that is more difficult to get from the plant kingdom than from the animal kingdom, it is not protein, it is calcium. That is because milk is a good source of calcium. So are the bones of animals. Animals concentrate calcium more than plants do, so they are a better source. But still, where do herbivorous animals get their calcium, and indirectly carnivorous animals? From plants. Like brocolli. Carrots. Sesame seeds. Almonds. These aren't as high in calcium as bone-meal, or crushed animal teeth, but if you eat enough you can get enough calcium. There is no challenge getting protein from plants. Calcium is a bit of a challenge. You might want to consider getting calcium directly from rocks. Tho I doubt any of our ancient ancestors evolved getting minerals from rocks, rocks (certain rocks) are a good source of calcium. You don't have to know which rocks. You just go into a store and buy pills containing calcium, derived from calcium carbonate, synonymous with limestone, as opposed to calcium derived from oyster shell, or bone meal.

·
Registered
86 Posts
My mother did not like the idea of me deciding to be a veg*n because of protein. She was comfortable with the lacto-ovo option, but I have always thought about becoming a vegan. If books don't help, maybe you could suggest going to see a nuitritionist. Most parents trust doctors rather than books. The nuitritionist could help you "plan" out your diet so that you get adecuate nutrients, which basically just reassures your mother that you already know what to eat to keep yourself healthy. Good luck.

·
Registered
0 Posts
this is really weird, im going through almost exactly the same situation with my parents. I havent brought up the topic with them but they show obvious disapproval. I feel a little better knowing im not the only one. my friends all think im trying to get attention, nobody takes me seriously

1 - 20 of 23 Posts