VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How would you respond to this guy on Facebook? Thank you in advance for your replys...

Activists love to throw out this kind of propaganda and use it to attack the RIGHTS of hunters. "Rights"... the word has a meaning. Animals don't have them. If they did, mark my words, it wouldn't be long before you'd have to get "permission" from your dog to pet it, or else you'd be broguht up on harassment and assault charges. Your dog would be able to bring a lawsuit against you. Sounds stupid, doesn't it? There are people out there who believe that animals have these "rights" though.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for your resonse...I hadnt logged on to this site in awhile and didnt realize there was a section for animal rights until after I posted this thread.

Maybe a moderator can move it?

·
Ankle Biter
9,333 Posts

He's right, animals have few if any real rights in our society. But I'll bet if this guy were put in the woods without his coat, his lunch, his dog, his rifle, his site gauges, his deer scent, snares, camouflage, waterproof socks, binoculars, and bug spray he couldn't catch a thing! The so-called "sport" is completely unfair, and the hunter has all the advantage.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
We are not saying that humans and other animals always have the same rights. Not even all human beings have the same rights. For example, people with serious mental disadvantages do not have a right to higher education. What we are saying is that these and other humans share a basic moral right with other animals -- namely, the right to be treated with respect.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
True Poppy...and try having an intelligent conversation with this hick.

·
Banned
2,861 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms.Windy View Post

How would you respond to this guy on Facebook?
Tell him he is right. Animals do not have rights.

Women did not have rights. Slaves did not have rights. Whole classes and races of people did not, arguable still do not, have rights.

Your counter point is simply this: The idea that you cannot wrong that which has no rights is a classic peice of timeless BS that every ass-half, ever, in the entire history of the universe has hid behind.

Get my drift?

·
Premium Member
8,961 Posts
Sounds like he feels "might is right". Tje bigger the bully, the more "rights" he can demand.
It's only when you can understand your own needs and weaknesses that you can begin to appreciate the needs of others.
I'd like to have this guy debate rights with a real carnivore in it's own domain.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by silva View Post

I'd like to have this guy debate rights with a real carnivore in it's own domain.
good idea! but here is an even better idea: sick Rambo on him!

·
Registered
4,026 Posts
To make the most of your conversation, I suggest that you focus on the animal suffering, not the philosophical concept of rights.

Here are some sample approaches you can take:

"It's not about animal rights; it's about human responsibility." - Wayne Pacelle

"It is a matter of taking the side of the weak against the strong, something the best people have always done." - Harriet Beecher Stowe

"If a group of beings from another planet were to land on Earth-beings who considered themselves as superior to you as you feel yourself to be to other animals-would you concede them the rights over you that you assume over other animals?" - George Bernard Shaw

"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." - Mohandas K. Gandhi

"Nothing will benefit human health and increase chances for survival of life on Earth as much as the evolution to a vegetarian diet." - Albert Einstein

"We have enslaved the rest of animal creation, and have treated our distant cousins in fur and feathers so badly that beyond doubt, if they were to formulate a religion, they would depict the Devil in human form." - William Ralph Inge

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yep. All the advantage. A nose that can pick out the smell of an individual's personal scent at 400 yards? Oops, I don't have that one. Eyesight like 8 power binoculars? Nope, don't have that one. But antelope do. Ears to pick up the slightest sound from two canyons away in the rain? I fall short on that one too. Not quite enough hair to keep me warm in freezing temperatures either, but all the animals I hunt have that. Are you suggesting I should hunt in a loin cloth? And I don't need deer scent, "site gauges", whatever the hell that is, waterproof socks, whatever the hell those are, and bug spray. I NEVER hunt deer with dogs. What a pain in the ass that would be. Would never get within bow range of them. You're woefully misinformed, sister. BTW, I've worked eco-terrorism cases. I've sat and talked with the eco-terrorists. ELF, ALF, PETA, National Human Society... these are their causes. Driven by emotion and ignorance. Anything else you'd like clarified?

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
And yep, you're right. Without a coat, food to eat, and a few tools like a bow and arrow, I probably wouldn't be a successful hunter. That's why we, as hunters, have those things. To even the odds that are all stacked against us. I sure couldn't run down a deer. So you're in agreement with me that I couldn't "catch" anything without the aid of tools and accessories? I thought your argument was the hunters have all the advantages over the animals. I guess I don't follow your logic.
And what of the dog in the picture? If he was left to his own devices to hunt, kill, and eat, would you not like him anymore because he ate another animal? Or would it only be o.k. for the dog to eat if his prey had all the "advantages"? Think it through, Windy. You seem like you have a good heart. Now apply logic and ask yourself if the causes you stand for are really logical causes or if they are just sub-culture attempts to infringe upon the rights of others.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Elaine...this above posts are his responses...

Here is mine...
Humans are animals too, so animal rights are human rights too."
- J. Blanquart -

Driven by emotions? How about Inhumane! Years ago GM used live animals in vehicle safety testing but thanks to PETA using live animals as crash test dummies is illegal. There will come a time in the future when we look back on our treatment of animals and will be shocked. Just like slavery. The propaganda lies within our government and and the corruption runs deep. For years the tobacco industry was lieing to us by telling us, cigs were safe until a whistleblower came forward. No I would not hate the dog for hunting. He is a carninvore and we are (at least some of us are) pretending to be carnivores. Our hands are made for picking, not killing. Humans are designed to age peacefully, not with all these man made diseases weve created by eating animals. Cholesterol is the animals revenge, my diet has no cholesterol or saturated fat in it. Fruits and veggies have vibrant colors and sweet smells to attract humans, animals, birds and insects to them, this is why they don't have legs. Animals have their own purpose for being here and can suffer and love like us. Make the connection. The World Health Organization is urging us to adopt a plant based diet, the American Diabetic Ass. recommends a plant based diet. Animal testing is old science, we have alternatives. We need to educate ourselves and evolve. Make the connection. I am an OIF veteran, I fought for human rights, now I fight for animal rights.

·
Registered
3,097 Posts
I'd bring up a couple of points with a hunter.

First and foremost, the most objectionable treatment of animals isn't at the hands of hunters at all. There's a lot of common ground that vegans and hunters of a certain type could find against modern factory farming, and things like rodeos or circuses even. It depends on the person. You could mention that the animals he hunts live very good lives compared to the animals most meat consumed in the developed world comes from.

Another point is that his understanding of rights is essentially flawed. Nobody is arguing for giving a pig the right to drive. Hell, you wouldn't let an eight year old do that.You wouldn't enslave and butcher an eight year old either, though. At the very least - if you felt you needed to butcher a pig, you wouldn't have any need to cram her into a tiny cage so small she can't even turn around, which is what most factory farmers do. I'm sure hunters who hunt pigs end up consuming animals who, until the point of their deaths, lived immeasurably better lives than sows confined to gestation crates. Again, common ground. You don't necessarily have to make a vegetarian of this guy - just get him to admit to some common ground.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
His reponse, to my last response...
Everyone has a right to their individuality. I'm a carnivore. When I look in the mirror, I can identify K-9 teeth. One on each side. You be what you wish. I have no desire to alter your diet nor make your legal activities illegal. You and y...our fellow activists, however, have chosen to assault my rights. Rights that this country was founded upon. Rights that were given to us by our creator. THAT... is arrogance as well as ignorance. Sorry Dawn, didn't mean to hi-jack your post. This country is in the shape it's in right now though because people DON'T put a foot down when they see their rights being trampled upon. I'll never be that person.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I appreciate all of your responses...he seems to be so bent on animal rights activists infringeing on his rights.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I would say first:

Ask him if he's ever been in the military and served in a combat capacity. If so, how did he feel about the potiental to be shot at by another human? I suspect, he felt it was well within his "right" to shoot back. The simple point being that life is sacred to the one who owns it. He has no more "right" to take a life than someone has the "right" to take his.

·
Registered
612 Posts
Damn - next facebook war I get into - I'm coming here. You guys rock.

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
Id just tell him that if hes going to bash Animal Rights he could at least know the proper definition of the term. And then delete him off Facebook.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirate Ferret View Post

Id just tell him that if hes going to bash Animal Rights he could at least know the proper definition of the term. And then delete him off Facebook.
This turd isnt a friend or even on my friends list. He is a friend of my cousins. We are going back and fourth on her wall.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts