VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
Maybe replace the white mushrooms with baby bellas? I would also be sure to use fresh (not frozen) veggies, and add some baby spinach, and some oregano. Maybe do half wine, half veggie broth, and/or switch to a red, bolder flavored wine.

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
8 garlic cloves instead of 2

But I'm a garlic fanatic.

·
Premium Member
34,591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I already have the white mushrooms, none of the veggies are frozen. Darn, I don't have spinach
I'll add oregano. No wine either. I was going to add pesto, but I'm waiting to hear if the mix I have is bad or not. I think pesto would be awesome in this.

·
Premium Member
34,591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomad888 View Post

8 garlic cloves instead of 2

But I'm a garlic fanatic.
I asked my sister "Should I add more garlic?" She said no. I might add an extra clove or two. I just don't want runny "sauce" like the recipe uses, it's missing something.

·
Premium Member
34,591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Alright, it's in the oven already. I used white onion. I did add extra garlic, a little extra red pepper flakes, and I salted the veggies. I'm going to experiment with spices when it comes out.

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
Add a tablespoon of tomato paste to hold it all together, maybe? Add olives!

·
Premium Member
34,591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I don't have olives either
This is depressing, I thought I was stocked up with the good stuff.

Would lemon zest be good? I have lemons.

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
Lemon juice at the end could brighten the flavor up some and it goes really well with asparagus.

I personally would have upped the amount of white wine actually. I make a recipe sort of similar from Mediterranean Vegan and it calls for a cup of wine.

Also, maybe instead of reserving 1/2c of the pasta water use 1/2c veg broth or add some veg bouillion to the pasta water.

Edit: ha we posted at the same time! It looks delicious.

·
Registered
922 Posts
I often make roast vegetables with pasta. I don't use white wine or stock as it'll make a runny sauce. I often add some chopped butternut squash, onions, peppers and mushrooms. A few cloves of garlic would also make it tasty. I add evo, balsamic vinegar to the vegetables whilst roasting. The pasta is also important - no white pasta. I use spelt or soba.

You don't want to overdo it with too many herbs or spices t- a few chili flakes salt and pepper and another drizzle of evo before serving.

·
Not such a Beginner ;)
8,394 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shyvas View Post

Do give it a go next time. It gives a wonderful flavour to vegetables especially when roasting.
I agree! I've been roasting everything in sight this winter and use evoo and balsamic v also. My daughter and a couple of her (omni) friends were in my kitchen the other day as I was taking a tray of roasted sweet potatoes out of the oven. Her friend named them the Crack Veggies because she couldn't stop eating them. Just plain, I hadn't done anything with them but roast.

·
Registered
922 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LedBoots View Post

I agree! I've been roasting everything in sight this winter and use evoo and balsamic v also. My daughter and a couple of her (omni) friends were in my kitchen the other day as I was taking a tray of roasted sweet potatoes out of the oven. Her friend named them the Crack Veggies because she couldn't stop eating them. Just plain, I hadn't done anything with them but roast.
Balsamic vinegar is great for cooking. It gives food a wonderful depth to food. I often add a tbs when making chili.

I never use it for making vinaigrette as it is far too sweet.

I agree about the taste of roast food. If you do have the time and don't worry about the extra expense of engergy it really is worth the effort.

Lovely pic btw.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I love adding roasted red, yellow and green peppers. If you want to add some creammy texture you could always puree avacado and maybe some baked crunchy kale on top.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts