VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
okay well as you may know i struggle to eat carbohydrate and i have been wanting to add a banana to my diet! seeing i struggle with a eating disorder i am wanting some support and good health benifts and facts on bananas ......... i could just use some words of encouragment and mabey some others who eat them daily and are still alive too lol
thanks

·
Registered
240 Posts
Ugh, I know what you mean about bananas...I have a hard time eating them too...

I NEVER eat them on their own, for some reason I just can't. I slice them into cereal or slices on top of toast and pb. But often I'll only use 1/2 a banana for that. I find the best way for me to incorporate them is a simple smoothie...a banana, frozen berries, and soymilk.

·
Registered
787 Posts
I eat a banana every day! Usually sliced on top of my cereal for breakfast, in peanut butter & banana sarnies (on bread or bagels), in smoothies, or on their own tossed into the lunchbox. They're great!

Plus they're full of potassium and are said to improve your mood! What's not to love?

·
Registered
0 Posts
specialk, I am SO proud of you!! That's wonderful!! I eat a banana almost every day, and sometimes even put TWO in my smoothies! Bananas are good and healthy for you. Enjoy!!

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks so much guys , you make me smile its so nice that you care......... i managed about 1/3 today n its was really nice , i added nutmeg yum
i need to eat the whole thing but i will

·
Registered
100 Posts
they are really REALLY nice hot

do you like porridges? add a banana or half a banana

or baked in the oven for 15 min

or, fried in a little healthy omega oil and spice (all spice, or cinnamon, etc)

banana curry sounds weird but is also really nice - google it! lots of nice variations with tofu etc

i love bananas.

also have an ED (if that helps) but i eat a lot of them. health benefits are MASSIVE, lots of pottassium which is really important for recovery of anorexia.

·
Registered
100 Posts
....you'd love it!

its popular in carribean cuisine

generally fruit curries are a lot nicer than they sound

give it a go...

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
Try ripe plantains (bananas for cooking): cut into thin round slices and bake until crisp.

... and of course, then enjoy eating them.

·
Registered
501 Posts
I love bananas, and consume one nearly everyday. Eating too many bananas at once, though, makes me gag. They are best under ripe. And deep fried bananas are scrumptious.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by karenlovessnow View Post

My daughters eat them like that too....I have to have some brown speckles on mine!
I like them with brown speckles too because thats when they are ripe and sweet. I like to cut the ripe bananas into 8 chunks and freeze them in the freezer, and then I use them to make banana walnut 'ice-cream', or put them in smoothies. Nothing beats bananas for making a nice thick smoothie. Nothing else will give you quite the same texture. It truly amazes me how nothing else will quite do the same job.

As for the banana-walnut ice cream, its actually a healthy vegan recipe. I use 8 chunks of frozen banana (thats 1 banana), 1/4 cup of vanilla soymilk, and 1/2 ounce of walnuts which I blend up together into an ice cream, in my very powerful blender (I've got a vitamix). Some people do this in their food processor, but I haven't tried that. For my husband, I just double all the ingredients, and he gets a really big bowl of ice cream. So, he is actually eating 2 whole bananas while I only eat 1.

I used to use the ripe bananas to make banana bread, but I don't eat that anymore, and that recipe wasn't so healthy as the banana walnut ice cream. The walnuts are rich in the healthy omega-3 fats. Banana and Walnuts are the main ingredients, with just a small amount of the vanilla soymilk to make it blend and add a little vanilla flavor to it.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by karenlovessnow View Post

Sliced bananas in oatmeal with coconut milk and a little sugar.
Good thinking!

Sliced bananas, stirred into plain low-fat yogurt. Blueberries, ground flaxseed and brown sugar are optional but delicious. Also good in vanilla yogurt, but I like the contrast of the sweet and the sour.

Peanut butter was made for bananas. Or is it the other way around? This combo could seem scary, as it is scarily delicious, but just think of all the nutrients

I buy either the smallest or the biggest ones I can find. A medium-sized banana is too much for me (I get sick of the flavour after a while), but a little one or half a jumbo is perfect. Or two baby bananas, which are so lovely and sweet that they should be eaten straight from the skins.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.