VeggieBoards banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, so I'm new to all this.

Can someone break down exactly what all of these items are? Are they all soy based? I'm so confused! eek!

TVP

TSP

Nutritional yeast

Seitan (I think I spelled that correctly)

**if someone could also tell me the common uses for said items...

·
Registered
4,778 Posts
TVP = textured vegetable protein, it is the same as TSP (text. soy prot.) It is made from defatted soy flour (a byproduct of soybean oil production). It can be substituted for ground beef or any other meat (if you can find it in bigger pieces/chunks). You have to rehydrate it first (just add hot water). It is 50% protein by calories, it has a lot of fiber, vitamins and other stuff. It tastes almost like nothing and soaks up the other flavors of the recipe.

Nutritional yeast: dead yeast that was cultured on molasses. It comes in the form of flakes. It has a cheese-like flavor. You can use it in recipes or just sprinkle it on whatever you eat. It has a lot of other vitamins and also some protein. Red Star brand Nutr. Yeast is enriched with vitamin B12 and is a good source of B12 for vegans.

Seitan: made from wheat flour, by making a dough first and then washing away all the bran and starch. What is left over is the pure wheat protein (gluten). It is then simmered in a broth (usually soy sauce and such) to flavor it. It can be used instead of meat in all recipes. You can use it straight out of the package. You can also quite easily make your own seitan.

But it's best to just buy these items and see what they are and how you like them. You can't do anything wrong with them

·
Banned
10,763 Posts
Just remember that they are not "whole" foods. I find it odd that the same people who claim white sugar and white flour are not good for you because they are not whole foods -- for example white flour is whole wheat that has had its bran and germ removed -- often claim that these high protein products are good for you. Gluten is even less whole than white flour. Not on is the bran and the germ removed, but then they take the white flour that remains, and remove most of the starch too. TVP is what's left over after soy oil is extracted from soybeans. Usually this is done with chemicals. Unless your tvp label says extracted without chemicals, it was probably extracted with chemicals.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Soilman,

I try to adhere to the "new food pyramid" - Whole grains, lots of veggies, 2-3 servings of fruit, etc. Are you saying that TVP and seitan are the equivalents of white flour?

·
Registered
6,902 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Rie

Soilman,

I try to adhere to the "new food pyramid" - Whole grains, lots of veggies, 2-3 servings of fruit, etc. Are you saying that TVP and seitan are the equivalents of white flour?
Well TVP is still soy, just processed soy, one could classify it as a legume. But seitan is whole wheat flour with the everything but the gluten removed, so I don't think you could call it a whole grain by any means.

I don't think Soilman is pointing out if these foods are good or bad, just pointing out that they are processed, a criteria many of us use to label a food negatively.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Thalia,

Thanks for the clarification. Personally, I don't care much for seitan, but, TVP is a staple in our home! Thanks for the help!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.