1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anybody help me

I just got a new blender and I simply want to make a vegetable drink

You know - Tomatoes carrots celery - whatever

All the recipes I look at suggest a juicer - Is this really needed ???

·
Registered
284 Posts
With a blender, there will be LOTS of pulp, you won't be able to drink your mix with a straw, and it might even need straining afterwards. This is often chunks leftover when everything seems blended. It'll be chewy juice.

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by janetofparis View Post

Hello everyone

I recently purchased a blender ( Believe it or not my first one )

I am very interested in making vegetable juices to drink

You know good healthy juices using carrots , tomatoes , celery - whatever it takes

90% of the recipes I read require a juicer....Is this true ?

Or can I make these drinks using a blender only

Any advise will help me alot

Thanks for your patience

Janet
Certain veggies you can juice in a blender, but you're probably not going to get the kind of juice that you're thinking of. Veggies like tomatoes or spinach are about alls you can throw in a blender, carrots and celery for instance need to go thru a juicer. On the other hand you can make all sorts of smoothies using frozen fruit like strawberries, peaches, blueberries, bananas, fruit juice, yogurt, you can even throw in spinach or tomatoes, I might find a recipe for that though. Good luck!

·
Registered
32 Posts
I have a Vita-mixer that I have had for years. It makes great vegetable juices (among its many uses). They do tend to be thick and can be thinned with water or veggie stock. They have a lot of good-for-you soluble fiber and are quite filling. To me that is a real advantage - a lunch in a glass that stays with you for a few hours rather than just a beverage. When I juice I try to stay within a color family, ie: Green-yellow-white, or Red-Orange-yellow, or Purple-Red as the colors stay beautifully jewel-like and not muddy looking. Some of my favorite juices are apple-celery-carrot, swiss chard and mango, beets and cucumber (minus the peel which makes the juice muddy)... etc. Blenders can work for juicing - but usually they just don't have the power to effectively to a good job on the veggies that are fairly dense. Vita-mixers tend to be pricey, but a great investment if you can afford them. They can also make hot soups, ice-cream, grind wheat or corn into meal and flour, etc. I have seen them quite often sold used on EBay.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts