VeggieBoards banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i just opened up a can of coconut milk and it's solid and lumpy, not at all the thick liquid i'm used to. is it still safe to use? thanks!

·
Registered
9,260 Posts
Yes.... The saturated fat has collected at the top of the can.... Just mix the lump back into the coconut milk and youre good to go.

I usually shake the can before I open it. This does not completely eliminate the lump, but it helps the mixing along.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by froggythefrog View Post

I usually shake the can before I open it. This does not completely eliminate the lump, but it helps the mixing along.
thanks for responding. i shook another can, and it was just like shaking something solid...nothing sloshed. oh, well.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Hmm i had somethign similar happening to my coconut cream. It was completely solid, there was no liquid left. I threw it out assuming it went bad..

·
Registered
11,049 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by VeggieFerret View Post

Hmm i had somethign similar happening to my coconut cream. It was completely solid, there was no liquid left. I threw it out assuming it went bad..
Coconut cream is pretty high in fat. Coconut oil (fat) tends to solidify pretty easily, so often cans of coconut cream will be completely solid, no liquids. Warm it just a little and whisk with a wire whisk and it'll be fine.

I would think coconut milk should have SOME liquid on the bottom but I've noticed some cans of coconut milk that have just as high a fat content as some cans labelled coconut "cream" (I know, how confusing) so it's possible your can may have 'set up' because of the fat content.

I doubt it's bad. Bad coconut milk smells absolutely AWFUL (and the can would have been bulging).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts