VeggieBoards banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

It's been a while since I've been on VB, but I was hoping to get some pointers and help.

So to start off I'm very short (like just shy of 5'0") and weigh about 120 lbs (on any given day maybe I gain or lose a pound). So I'm not super heavy (all my doctors say I'm still in the healthy range), but I am bigger than what I would prefer. The thing is that I can't seem to lose any weight. I lost about 5 lbs about a month ago but nothing since then


I already don't eat a whole lot, although neither does anyone in my family--we just aren't very hungry people. When I go on sites that track our calories they all say we aren't eating enough, but we don't feel hungry or anything. I've been writing down everything I eat/drink for the past 2 weeks but it always says I need to eat more but I actually feel sick if I try to eat as many calories as what everyone says I should eat.

I don't eat junk food or drink soda, and I drink a lot of water. I also try to stay away from procesed foods and eat whole grains. I usually have fruit as a snack (maybe with some almond butter or something) or veggies with hummus. I've also taken up yoga and run several times a week.

Does anyone have any thoughts? I'd like to slim down to what I was a few years ago in time for my wedding next spring, but I'm a little discouraged right now.

Thanks for the help!
 

·
Herbivorous Urchin
Joined
·
9,717 Posts
Eat well, often, and exercise... and that's a completely appropriate weight for your height.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
2,587 Posts
your weight and height are good, you may not need to lose weight maybe just change your body fat percentage

the best way to track yourself is by measurements, take measurements around your waist, hips, arms, thighs, neck and chest. losing inches is a better measurement than weighing yourself. you can get to a low weight but still be 'fat' if you don't focus on body fat in general, weight doesn't mean much i suggest don't weigh yourself at all.

it helps to post a day or 2 meals, like what you eat for breakfast, lunch and dinner so we can try to help you figure out more calorie dense foods or things to add or eat less of.
also how much physical activity you do per week.

to get in shape you have to have a healthy diet AND regular physical activity.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,423 Posts
ditch any refined sugars and added oils in your diet. You can consume whole food fats in nuts, seeds, and avocados, but using refined oils isn't healthy, and excess fats accumulate fat in the mid section. you may also need to change up your exersice routine or amp it up doing interval training....if you lope along at the same intensity every time you do run, your body will be accustomed to that level of activity. while yoga is great for so many reasons, it doesn't (usually) elevate or sustain an elevated heart rate. try some martial arts or kick boxing or other increased intensity exercise for a change!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
Hey I'm new to the forum, but you may want to try this. I don't know what kind of schedule you are on, but here is an example protocol. Depending on your activity level throughout the day you may want to make the meals equal in size, but the key here is to complete the walk or light constant activity in before your first meal. A light jog may be okay too, you may have to see what you are comfortable with doing. If you jog or weight train before your first meal I would recommend taking some kind of protein before about 15 min before you workout; two tablespoons of powdered spirulina would be a good choice because it is loaded with chlorophyll, it has b-12, it use pure protein, and it is not processed in the sense that it is not a protein isolate or anything; it is a whole food. Your body will utilize fat most easily with walking during a state of fasting. Don't be afraid of carbs either
After your exercise this is the best time to eat a good hearty meal. Also make sure you do not eat in between meals. If for some reason you are feeling burnt out or in a bad mood do not be afraid to eat more. I wouldn't worry too much about counting the calories; just use common sense. There are a few simple principles to follow, and you will lose weight. If you try this, let me know how it works. Have a great day!

Wake up-drink at least one full glass of water
Exercise-walk for an hour or do some kind of light constant activity; take 10 grams of protein before workout if lifting weights or jogging
1st meal-try to make this the larger of the 2 meals
Do what ever you have to do for the next 5 hours or more
2nd meal
Do what you need to do
Sleep
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,529 Posts
What is your body fat % like? In Eat to Live, Fhurman claims that at 5'0 95 lbs is ideal weight, add 5 lbs for every inch above 5'0.

To be honest, I agree with River. Eat often, good whole foods, and exercise. I'd say at least an hour a day. You can't exercise too much (well, you can, but you know what I mean.)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,423 Posts
^^^spirulina is not a good source of usable B12, so shouldn't be counted on to provide adequate amts.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,529 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan117 View Post

take 10 grams of protein before workout if lifting weights or jogging
1st meal-try to make this the larger of the 2 meals
Do what ever you have to do for the next 5 hours or more
2nd meal
Do what you need to do
Sleep
I disagree, I'd suggest consuming around five to six small meals throughout the course of a day, keep your metabolism working.Try to make the meals balanced.

As for 10g of protein before a workout, haven't heard that in a while. I'd suggest having a meal consisting of mostly complex carbohydrates, roughly 300-500 calories, and around 1.5-2 hrs before you exercise.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
Thanks photojess, I'll have to check that out about the spirulina not having usable b-12. The reason for not eating before the workout is to maximize fat loss; the body's catabolic hormones are highest nearing the end of the fast, and I know that it is commonly perceived that catabolic hormones are bad, but it is part of our bodies mechanism for getting rid of old tissue and preparing for rebuilding with new materials.
For physiological, psychological, and social reasons 2-3 meals a day promotes optimal health.
Eating frequently leads to food obsession, and constantly thinking about the next meal. It also breeds impatience; with 2-3 meals, one experiences more satiety. When frequently eating, the stomach is called into action over and over again and it basically has to "restart" every time a new meal is ingested. Another benefit of 2-3 meals a day is improved skin and cell regeneration. Also, don't worry about the body storing more fat because it hasn't had new fuel in a while.

Kris, I hope this isn't perceived in an argumentative tone
because I know how it can seem when someone disagrees and it is over text, haha. It is hard to tell a persons character when the voice isn't heard. One can lose weight eating 5-6 meals a day, but overall health is improved by 2-3 meals. The body does not lose fat any more effectively from eating 5 meals. From personal experience, I have found that this is true. Anyway I hope you guys will check this out!

Evan
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
290 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan117 View Post

Eating frequently leads to food obsession, and constantly thinking about the next meal.
Ummm...... in my experience this is not the case. Where did you get this information from?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrisMTL View Post

I disagree, I'd suggest consuming around five to six small meals throughout the course of a day, keep your metabolism working.Try to make the meals balanced.

As for 10g of protein before a workout, haven't heard that in a while. I'd suggest having a meal consisting of mostly complex carbohydrates, roughly 300-500 calories, and around 1.5-2 hrs before you exercise.
Yeah, I've heard that you are supposed to do carbs before you work out, then use protein for recovery after you work out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shorty View Post

When I go on sites that track our calories they all say we aren't eating enough, but we don't feel hungry or anything. I've been writing down everything I eat/drink for the past 2 weeks but it always says I need to eat more but I actually feel sick if I try to eat as many calories as what everyone says I should eat.
I've also been trying to loose weight myself. When I hit a plateau a few months ago, I started tracking my food to see why I wasn't loosing anymore weight, and it was because I wasn't eating enough calories. As soon as I adjusted my calories, I started loosing weight again. I know that it's probably hard for you, but you have to figure out a way to start eating more calories, even if its something as simple as eating an extra apple and banana a day so that you can rev up your metabolism a bit. Actually, a pretty good question would be is how far are you away from your daily calorie goal? If its really far away I'd REALLY make sure you are eating more.

It sounds like aside from that, you are doing everything right. Maybe you could change up your workout routine? Maybe your body is getting used to your current workout and it needs a change.

Hope that helps, and good luck.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,423 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan117 View Post

For physiological, psychological, and social reasons 2-3 meals a day promotes optimal health.
When frequently eating, the stomach is called into action over and over again and it basically has to "restart" every time a new meal is ingested.
In my Integrative Nutrition podcasts that I'm listening to, this is what Dr Furhman suggests too....that you should be fine on 2-3 meals per day. It gives your body time to "detox" and thoroughly rid and dump the metabolic waste during the hours between meals. If eating more frequently, there is constantly food in the stomach. If eating whole foods with high fiber, it shouldn't be any problem to limit yourself to just those meals. Frankly, I'm there, I rarely have much food in the evening after getting out of wk, and I eat three meals. I agree that the fiber/fluid amts should hold you over.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
Duckie, I didn't mean to paint the picture that someone who eats 5-6 meals a day is obsessive, etc; I was trying to indicate that it is more likely to lead one down that path because of the increased number of learning trials for eating. It makes sense that if one eats more often that food will be thought about more. The same principle follows for counting calories; I would suggest that it is not a good idea count calories too much as this also leads to self-centered attitude.
In some cases, it is a good idea to know how much energy a food supplies in light of the fact that packaged foods often contain more energy than they appear to have which is leading to the obesity issue. However, when moving away from the commercial foods it becomes less necessary to know how much energy our foods contain because the Lord created foods in a way that would satisfy appetite and provide adequate energy. This has to do with the fiber as Jess was saying. Many of the concoctions sold in the store provide high energy and low volume. The reason I am talking about this is because it could be stated that some will get very hungry (in the sense that the stomach feels empty) eating only 2-3 meals a day, but the cause may be inadequate volume even though the calories are adequate calories. That can be a problem. When activity level increases the need for energy dense foods increases. This is why laborers and highly active people can afford to eat more energy dense foods.
Like Duckie was saying, it may be a good idea to try to eat more quantity, but not more meals, haha
I have experienced with exercising that it decreases my appetite, and I don't eat as much as a should because of the catecholamines (epinepherine, dopamine, and norepinepherine) circulating throughout the body. I would end up very tired the rest of the day because I hadn't eaten enough even though I thought I had, so I have started experimenting with waiting a little while after working out to eat so that my appetite will return before my post workout meal. This is where seeing how much energy you are taking in can come in handy.
I am experimenting with this eating exercise/eating method myself. We'll see how it works
I did check out the bioavailability of B-12 in Spirulina, and I have seen both sides. Most say it is not bioavailable, and I have seen some information saying that it depends upon the strain of spirulina. Either way, I do like to take it because of the chlorophyll content. I like greens, but I generally don't eat as much green leafy vegetables as I probably should so the spirulina provides extra chlorophyll.
I'm enjoying talking with you guys on here. It is nice to discuss some of these things.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,423 Posts
spirulina is definately a good food to consume, but just not to be dependant on the B12 amt. Chlorophyll is our friend!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
471 Posts
I think your weight sounds good. I am still new to a plant based diet, but have done a lot of reading on diets or whatever you want to call the way you eat to lose weight. I am finding Vegetarian and Vegan eating to be very high in fiber, which is good. But, I also see people's recipes that show a lot of calories and a lot of fat. I would first start with calories in. Figure out how many calories you can eat and still lose weight. I try to track my calories everyday. You may want to cut down on fruit and hummus. I love hummus, but is seems to be very high in calories and fat. Maybe eat more vegetables and stay away from the fats. I think when all is said and done, calories consumed is probably the biggest factor. After that, then you can adjust carbs and fat etc. If I could stop drinking beer, I would have a flat stomach. Too bad I love my beer.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
331 Posts
If you don't eat your metabolism stays at a crawl. Eat breakfast, lunch, snack at 3, dinner and a snack in the evening. All of these can be small and need to not include refined sugars. This eating schedule will keep you metabolism cooking along. I would suggest you fill these with fresh veggies, some fruits and nuts, etc.. For the 3pm snack make sure you eat some proteins. Not eating makes your body store fat. It does this to survive lean times. You have to tell it to burn fat by eating even if it's very little.

120 don't sound heavy..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3 Posts
Congrats on your weight loss so far! I agree with all here that 120 doesn't sound heavy at all, but...

I would recommend tracking your calories for a day or two. You say that you often don't eat enough, which, as others have mentioned, could actually be slowing your metabolism down (if your body is undernourished, it thinks you're starving and slows your metabolism to conserve energy). If you feel sick eating adequate calories, perhaps you could try spacing out your intake. You may not feel so bad if you're only eating 250 - 400 calories at a time.

I would also recommend increasing your cardiovascular exercise and incorporating some weight training / resistance training. This has helped me to lose weight and improves my heart health as well. I aim for 150 - 180 minutes per week.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,243 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by falconbrother View Post

If you don't eat your metabolism stays at a crawl. Eat breakfast, lunch, snack at 3, dinner and a snack in the evening. All of these can be small and need to not include refined sugars. This eating schedule will keep you metabolism cooking along. I would suggest you fill these with fresh veggies, some fruits and nuts, etc.. For the 3pm snack make sure you eat some proteins. Not eating makes your body store fat. It does this to survive lean times. You have to tell it to burn fat by eating even if it's very little.

120 don't sound heavy..
I'm 99.9% sure starvation mode is a myth.
atleast In my case and just about every other anorexic in therapy didn't store fat at all..........
 
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Top