VeggieBoards banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Banned
1,803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Dell Inspiron 1545. It used to be fine but about a month ago, after a windows update, it stopped playing DVDs.

When I insert a DVD on "my computer" it comes up as a CD drive, not a DVD drive anymore. And I can't click play, I can only click open or explore which just shows folders ( Audio_Ts and Video_TS). I can't get the DVD to play.

Anyway, I've tried looking on the Dell website for a DVD driver, downloaded what I could find and it hasn't fixed it (not to mention that it was stupidly crazy to download as it kept doing stupid things). Run the microsoft fix it tool thing, hasn't helped. I've tried restoring to before the update and it hasn't helped it.

So any ideas?

·
Registered
0 Posts
If you're sure it was a Windows update that caused the problem, you could run a system restore to a point just before the update that broke it, then omit that update when reinstalling the updates Windows will send to you again.

·
Banned
3,641 Posts
If you can explore the folders on a DVD disc, then it obviously can read them. I would suggest downloading VLC, which is a free media player. It's top notch.

·
Banned
1,803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Already resorted it to before the windows update and it hasn't worked.

Sleepy: I have VLC already. Doesn't work.

In My Computer.. When it did play DVDs it would come up saying "DVD_[name of film]" or something similar. Now it comes up as "CD_[name of film]".

·
Banned
3,641 Posts
Try uninstalling it and Windows will reinstall. To do so:

Right click My Computer and go to Properties. Then go to Device Manager. Expand the DVD/CD drives section (or it may be called Optical drives depending on what version of Windows you have). Find the drive, right-click on it and go to Uninstall. Then reboot your computer. When it comes back up, Windows will automatically re-install it. Hopefully, it will install it as a DVD reader and not a CD reader.

Let us know if that fixes it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts