VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need some help guys...i've been struggling to quit drinking coffee for a few months now and cant seem to stop!
I've tried a couple of "coffee alternatives" but they are nasty and dont come close to coffee. Do any of you have any recommendations? So far ive tried Caffix and Teeccino. Thanks!

·
Registered
6,902 Posts
How much coffee do you drink, and why do you want to quit, (why is decaf not for you) and why do you think it is hard?

Some people who are attracted to stimulants like caffeine actually have attention deficit disorder. It helps them with concentration, but if diagnosed, the person can find an alternative.

I drink a couple of cups a day. but once I quit unintentionally bc I wasn't feeling well, and for two days I felt nauseated and had a horrible head ache. But after the second day, it was all gone.

·
Registered
0 Posts
I am struggling with a caffiene addiction! I try to alternate days with drinking caffienated beverages and my regular stuff. I struggle with Dr. Pepper, and I'm glad they make it caffiene free now!

Just get some decaf coffee. It's not the coffee you're addicted to, it's the caffiene.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Actually, in my case its not the caffeine(strange isnt it?)that im addicted to. Most of the time its decaf that im drinking, which is worst for you than the caffeine. I just love the taste. My choice in trying to quit is for health reasons, coffee elevates your blood cholesterol level, its dehydrating... among a long list of other things. So, im trying to find an alternative, with no luck

·
Registered
4,606 Posts
I used to single-handedly keep the DC area Starbucks in business. Then I decided to kick the habit...

There is no good tasting coffee substitute. Cafix, etc are all pretty lousy (IMO).

The thing about coffee (even decaf) is that it's comforting. It has a nice, familiar aroma... So you sort of have to find other things to excite your senses. Like, sex, or fuzzy sweaters.

My advise would be to just work the coffee out of your routine. For instance, if you usually have a morning cup of joe to wake you up, fall in love with orange juice instead. (Train your body to crave the healthy sugars...)

If it's usually an afternoon pick-me-up, opt for a banana.

As an after dinner treat, I don't know... tea? Chocolate mousse?

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
I've embraced my coffee addiction. My cholesterol is only 112, so that's no worry, and the dehydration is easily made up by making sure you get enough water throughout the day. Sure there are other cons to coffee, but hey man, I'm vegan and I've never so smoked, so the way I see it I've already given up every other bad vice I had.

·
Registered
6,902 Posts
I've heard that the decaf being worse is only with an old method they used to use for decaffination. Also, they found the cholesterol thing doesn't occur if the coffee goes through a filter. But if it is made in say a french press, then it is bad.

I like coffee, it is a pleasurable part of my life.

·
Registered
4,211 Posts
I don't actually like coffee, but coca-cola gave me bad teeth, and I was addicted to caffeine, so I decided to quite drinking coke. I had a few headaches for the first week, and I was shaking. Also, my sleeping patterns went wild, so I had to deal with that, but it cleared up after a while of being cold turkey!!

I'm not an anti-caffeine person. It was just really annoying how my teeth were getting damaged, and also that I had to drink coke or I'd get tired or get headaches, so I decided to quit.

·
Registered
2,907 Posts
I found that swiching to a smaller cup helps. I have a regular sized mug in the morning ( as opposed to the 20oz-er ). If I need an afternoon cup, I'll try and mix 1/2 reg 1/2 decaf. I love the flavor of coffee, my favorite is Trader Joes Organic Pajaro. I don't think coffee in small amounts is bad, just as I cook with olive oil and use organic sugar when I cook. If it's something you enjoy in modeeration, there's not really any reason to worry too much.

·
Registered
0 Posts
tea maybe? i red a really kick butt book on coffee recently, which set me straight on coffee, really straight!

its a treat, and such, should be treated as such. there is no nutritive value whatsoever to coffee. but oh the pleasure it brings! i look forward excitedly to having a good cup, i relish the whole process...which leads to me enjoying a cup of coffee!

drink tea! i loved tea before i started to experiment with good coffee. i never got into the habbit of drinking lots of coffee. i even tried! nope...and anyhow, my body will let me know physically and mentally if i have been drinking too much or to often. i get really really bad cramps from drinking to much coffee.

i "treat" myself to coffee 3 times a week at home. and i have it when i'm out maybe a few times a week.

yerba matte is an excellent coffee alternative! i just picked up an 8 oz bag of guyaki loose leaf yerba matte the other day in fact...mmmm it is soooo good! yum. i'm gonna have a cup in a bit!

here is there website for you to look at evita

http://www.guayaki.com/

you can buy normal yerba matte...but just be aware that it likely came from a farmer who has very little respect or knowledge for what natural rain forest is left in central america. these guys are from what i've heard the ONLY ones that employ a sustainable attitude towards growing these trees and harvesting the leaves.

best.

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
I agree with Charity - you would need to find an alternative that gives you the same amount of enjoyment.

I was like Loki - addicted to Cola (in my case Diet Pepsi).

I got off it by getting into teas (both chinese and herbal). Now I blend my own, and it's really a little hobby all by itself. I drink it hot and iced. It's fun - and pretty healthy

I rarely drink colas now.

·
Registered
0 Posts
dvmarie: yah, herbal teas and creating your own personal blends with the help of a few herbal books is pretty neat. i have the books and interest. just haven't had the time yet to do much in this area yet. its really humbling to know that all these plants have seen so much useage throughout time. its only now that i wonder...what happened? what is folklore and or where is this sort of charm in the 21st century anyway? really.

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Loki

I don't actually like coffee, but coca-cola gave me bad teeth, and I was addicted to caffeine, so I decided to quite drinking coke. I had a few headaches for the first week, and I was shaking. Also, my sleeping patterns went wild, so I had to deal with that, but it cleared up after a while of being cold turkey!!

I'm not an anti-caffeine person. It was just really annoying how my teeth were getting damaged, and also that I had to drink coke or I'd get tired or get headaches, so I decided to quit.
High fructose corn syrup is the real problem with soda, not caffeine.

·
Registered
6,902 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by epski

High fructose corn syrup is the real problem with soda, not caffeine.
And high phosphorous. Bad for your bones.

I never got the whole soda thing (pop where I come from). I find it too sweet, and it makes me bloated. And it's expensive. yuck

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks a lot guys for your suggestions... i had the problem Loki had with the headaches, sleeping problems....to make it worse i felt so damn cranky! But i guess i have to overcome that.

Palindrome-what would i do without your expertise
i will definitely order that yerba matte.

I will try to cut down slowly, cause every time i go cold turkey, i find myself giving up.

Thalia- I will look into the whole decaf thing now being bad for you, cause if thats the case, i wont feel so bad having it.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.