VeggieBoards banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Help i need an excellent vegan recipe to take to my family picnic to feed to non vegans . It has to be something tht is good either cold or slightly warm b/c i have no way to warm it up . Last year i meade taboloueh with black beans and vegetables and an orange vinaigrette but noone touched it i loved it. Please help i want to show them that vegan and veggie food is good.

thanks all corey

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
A jicama salad, might be good.

I can't remember the exact recipe I sort of cook by "feel". The base is jicama (kinda radishy/raw potatoish in textue), orange sections, cilantro, red onion. For the dressing I used the orange juice, some lemon juice, olive oil and made a viniagrette, chill and serve. Season to taste...of course. I got a bunch of people hooked on that at a Cinco de Mayo party we threw a few years ago.

And the ever favorite, which I think I've mentioned across three threads, beet slaw - shredded beets, shredded granny smith apples, rice vinegar, sugar (or vegan sweetner), chill and serve. Super color and taste.

Check the salads thread, there are some yummy things there, and the summer meals thread. Have fun!

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How about the old favorites like Maceroni Salads and Potato Salads? You could do a fresh fruit salad. Shannon

·
Registered
8,451 Posts
part of the reason why no one touched it--is because you brought it. weird huh?

it's like this. One day, i went to a picnic where 1/2 the people knew that i was vegan, and whatever i brought would be vegan as well. the other 1/2 didn't know me.

Those who knew me (and had never had my vegan cooking before) AVOIDED my stuff like the plague (ew! it's vegetarian), yet those who didn't know ate it like it was going out of style!

of course, ironically, most people eat vegetarian stuff all the time and don't think about it!

i like a simple cucumber salad: cucumbers, peppers, tomatos, red onion, cilatro, and rice wine vinegar.

·
Registered
4,965 Posts
Someone already mentioned potato salad or macaroni salad, and I second that motion. For the dressing, just mix Vegenaise and yellow mustard together to suit your taste, and mix it in with whatever you would usually throw together for either salad. It's really good!

·
Registered
152 Posts
i'm not sure how many other vegans do fritos chips, but for a salad that nobody can pass up at gatherings i'll use them. and sometimes i add veggie shredded cheese, though i don't miss it myself and that pretty much ruins the taste of the salad for me now, go figure.

you just toss together shredded lettuce, two diced tomatoes, half an onion chopped, some bell pepper if you like, 1 can of pinto beans, half a bag or so of fritos crumbled, and a safe french dressing. you can leave the chips out(crumble. then transport in a seperate dish or bag) then mix them in right before serving to preserve crunchiness.

also, there's a ramen nut salad that most people will like too.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
no actually zoebird no one new it was mine and the only peopel tht knwo im a veggie is my mom and dad and granparents none of teh aunts or anythign do and im not to fond of the idea of a macaroni or potato sald there will be liek 3 other macaroni or potato salads i think ill just my fiance and i a plate and who cares if any one eats my food oh well i can never think of anything or maybe ill make a vegan cake or brownies people always liek those

i have to think though its on saturday

·
Registered
5,644 Posts
You could also do a crunchy salad which has cauliflower, bellpepper, broccholi, jicama, carrot, celery, onion and a bunch of other stuff that I can't remember right now cut up into bite sized pieces. For the "dressing", you pour salsa over everything and mix it all up. My mother (omni) makes this all the time because it's easy and I eat it because it's one of the few things that she makes that I can actually have. It also keeps pretty well because there's nothing in there that will south on you and it's always a hit at the pot lucks and BBQ's that she takes this to.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
My mother always makes this AWSOME "oriental coleslaw" that contains shredded cabbage, carrots, crushed ramen noodles, sunflower seeds, oil, and vinigar. It is a huge hit with my meat and potatoes family and it's completely vegan. I adore it. I found a recipe similar to it on Vegweb.com. I definetly suggest trying it out!

Oriental Cabbage Salad

1 - 11 of 11 Posts