VeggieBoards banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay so I'm a new mom. Dennis is 15 months old. When he teethes he doesn't eat anything (for weeks at a time it seems like). When he's not teething he's very picky. He usually will only eat peaches, bananas and green bean casserole. Anytime I try to give him something new he just throws it around the kitchen. So I guess he's not big on trying new things. It seems like he's regressing though because feeding him the step 2 baby foods is no problem. Do you guys have any ideas for what I can feed him, like maybe stuff babies just seem to like more. I keep buying stuff and feeling like I'm wasting my money and it is sooooooooo frustrating. Oh yeah, he's not very good at using forks or spoons yet and plates he usually just picks up and let's everything fall off.......oh and he likes crunchy stuff like crackers and pretzels.

HELP ME!!!!

·
Registered
290 Posts
Just persevere. Difficult at that age to force him to eat anything he doesnt like.

As long as he is healthy and putting on weight. Suggest you let him have finger foods. You could distract him with a toy as you feed him?.

You could also try mixing something into his mashed banana or casserole?.

Theres no easy answer to this, its trial and error, Im afraid.

All kids at that age are the same.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well he's a huge kid, not overweight just big. He's in the 95th percentile for height and what not. He's bigger than most 2 year olds. anyway, I've done the toy thing but that only lasts so long. I should totally try the mixing in the casserole thing.

·
Registered
12,282 Posts
Just keep putting new foods on his plate/tray, without any pressure for him to eat them. Small kids will often not eat things they don't recognize. Eventually, he might try something and demand more. Just don't stop giving him new foods because he won't eat them, it's more normal for a toddler to refuse new foods than eat them. During the day, leave out a plate of healthy snacks on a coffee table or something so he can pick at it if he wants.

·
Registered
19,134 Posts
If he likes crunchy things..maybe some raw veggies or "crunchy" fruits like apples? Definitely don't stress too much about what he's eating at this stage, and like rabid said, keep putting the new foods out there. It's a supposed 7-8 times kids need to try something to determine if they like it.

Some favorites of my toddler charges:

mashed potatoes

plain pasta

very cold/almost frozen grapes (cut in quarters and eaten when supervised)

apple wedges

yogurt (soy yogurt if you're vegan)

pancakes/waffles

cut or sliced strawberries

kidney/black beans, etc. (ones that don't roll away too easily)

hot dogs/veggie dogs (again, cut in pieces and supervised)

applesauce

sweet peas (but they're hard to pick up sometimes)

potato wedges/diced baked potatoes

"meat" balls

and of course, Cheerios.

·
Registered
58 Posts
The most helpful thing I remember being told when my toddlers were going through this was that the thing you need to worry about isn't what the child actually eats, it's what you offer them. As long as you're offering them a good variety of healthy foods (and of course as long as they're not losing weight or anything), then you're doing fine. If there's food available to him, he's not going to starve himself.

It's really worrisome when your kid doesn't eat though, isn't it? I remember whole days when my girls were younger that I felt like they hadn't eaten a thing I gave them. But kids (and grown ups) don't actually need as much food as we in our culture act like we need.

And don't worry if it seems like he's regressing. My girls still do that. They've actually just recently stopped eating some things that used to be their favorite foods, and they're 3 1/2.

·
Registered
12,282 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IamJen View Post

If he likes crunchy things..maybe some raw veggies or "crunchy" fruits like apples?
Oo! That reminds me! What about those freeze dried pea pod things? I can see the bag in my mind but I can't for the life of me remember what they're called. They're usually in the produce dept., marketed as a salad topping. It's just freeze dried pea pods and they're really nice and crispy. It was a favorite snack of a toddler friend of mine for a while.

I'll see if I see them in the store today to get the name...

·
Registered
19,134 Posts
Oh yeah. I know what you're talking about, but I can't remember the name either (I thought they were kinda icky). At Whole Foods, they have other veggies besides peas and one of my moms did give those to her kid (they were health nuts, lol). Argh I can see the package now.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts