VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok, here's the thing. i have been vegetarian for about four years and have always thought it was the best choice i ever made for myself.

a couple of months ago i decided to make the switch to veganism, and things have changed.

physically i feel a little better, i think. and i feel immensely better about not contributing to the suffering of cows and chickens.

but even though i enjoy food sometimes, i always feel like something is missing. i don't really look forward to meals anymore. things like cheeseless veggie pizzas are okay but they just don't cut it. it's just something to eat. i don't get pleasure out of it. as stupid as it sounds, i find myself feeling really sad about not being able to eat my old favorites.

what should i do? i never went through this when i gave up meat (which i could never go back to eating.)

i want to eat dairy so badly, but i don't want to hurt cows. yes, i sound weak, but i don't know where else to turn. :p

·
Registered
0 Posts
If you hate it and are miserable, then don't do it. It isn't the right time for you. And, no, you don't sound weak. You sound honest. This is not a competition.

By being a lacto-vegetarian, you are still helping to eliminate our society's need for farm animals. I believe that is a positive step.

It is *your* journey, not anyone elses.

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
Wild Blackberry, I can understand how you feel. I've been vegan for nearly 2 months now, and for the first time the dairy cravings are hitting me. Darn!! So far I'm dealing with it by eating highly seasoned and spicy vegan foods and by eating more meat analogues (kinda weird).

I agree with what's been said -- if it's not right for you right now, don't beat yourself up about it. That said, if you want to stay the course I suggest (to you and to me both) to keep experimenting in the kitchen. I also remind myself about how good I feel saying to myself, "I am vegan."

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
Oh, and BTW, I never went through horrible cravings just giving up meat, either. It was really very easy -- so long as I still had cheese. *sigh* Will they PLEASE come up with a genuinely yummy vegan cheese analogue! (What is it about cheese, anyway??)

·
Banned
261 Posts
I agree with what the two above me said but, if you're going to hate yourself if you go back to eating dairy, maybe you just want to try more varieties of food.

They're so many different types of vegan foods--and such a variety that something's got to appeal to everyone's palatte. For many of us, the switch was hard, and it took a while to get used to not having cheese on our pizza (but don't forget there are vegan cheese alternatives, probably the most convincing is vegan gourmet at imearthkind.con). Many people find themselves, after a bit of time, to no longer want pizza and their previous favorite dairy-filled foods at all. I know I originally missed cheese for a while--as did most others--but with a little perserverance (I don't know if I spelled that right) and remembering what you made the switch for, if it really is that important to you, you'll pull through.

However, like kristadb and Dee said, if you're not feeling it, then it is your life and completely your decision, and if you decide it isn't for you--then it isn't.

Good luck!

Cassie

·
Registered
0 Posts
If you find yourself hanging outside of pizza restaurants, moaning at the scent of cheese baking, you aren't ready to give it up

·
Registered
750 Posts
i think you just need some more support and some more vegan friends

theres sooo much good food out there

ask questions

meet people

this place is full of vegans that can tell you things like how nayonaise sucks and vegenaise is godly!

ive had cravings for the most disgusting things like mcdonalds chicken nuggets... you know the ones with the veins

and ive been a vegetarian for 11 years and vegan for the last 5 years

theres awesome subsitutes out there

and yes some things out there still look and smell good

like steak

not that i would ever eat it again

you need to take a step back and realize what you are doing and why you are doing it

how strong are your convictions?

i wish you luck

and remember, whatever you do end up doing... doing something is better than doing nothing

Caroline

·
Registered
487 Posts
wild blackberry...I say give it a little more time, like Keegan said the longer you go without it the less you'll crave it.

Just like cigarettes, cheese can be really addicting (I think it has something to do with the fat, not sure though) but just like cigarettes the benefits with quitting health wise (and of course other reasons) are worth it.

Quote:
i find myself feeling really sad about not being able to eat my old favorites.
Make some new favorites.

Vegan food can be DELICIOUS and satisfy any cravings that you have. Maybe you just aren't making the right stuff. Do you have a good cookbook.

I have a bunch of cookbooks that have cheese substitutes. The most satisfying one that I've found is one that consists of: Tahini, water, nutritional yeast, onion powder, lemon juice, garlic powder, salt and pimentos. It's in the Country Life cookbook. How about buying "The Uncheese Cookbook."

I've really found that a pesto sauce made with pine nuts, olive oil, basil and garlic really satisfies my cravings for something fatty like cheese.

I say definitly stick with it for a little while! Change can be hard initially but soon you'll get comfortable with your new ways. I've been vegan for over two years now and I LOVE it!! Cheese is actually repulsive to me now, especially feta.

If you need any help just come here and make sure to check out the food section for yummy recipies, good luck

·
Registered
487 Posts
Quote:
If you find yourself hanging outside of pizza restaurants, moaning at the scent of cheese baking, you aren't ready to give it up
I kinda disagree with this,

When do you think she'll be able to give it up then , probably never. There is no perfect time to quit something. There is no time when you are completely ready to give up on an addiction. If you wait for a perfect time, you'll be waiting forever.

If you want to quit something bad enough you have to be ready to get past the cravings because you will have many, that's for sure but just because you have major cravings does not mean that you shouldn't give it up and aren't ready.

Hey but that's just my opinion.

·
Registered
7,691 Posts
honestly i thought i'd have a hard time giving up my favourites too. but i find i don't miss anything at mealtime, what i really miss is sweets. especially when i go out for dinner, i can find vegan meals no problem but desserts are hard to come by.

i found a few recipes and started baking my own vegan goodies, and i discovered vegan fudgesicles at the health food store. oh. heaven.

i say try to figure out what it is you miss and find a way to replace it. my biggest thing right now is ice cream so i'm thinking i'm going to go buy some toffuti or hemp ice cream. i didn't miss cheese or meat at all, but ice cream... yeah.

i suggest trying some of the recipes from Kreeli's site www.veganmania.com or from www.catteacorner.com/recipes and have fun experimenting, substituting etc.

i usually take a normal recipe for something and veganize it, rather than spend hours trying to find a vegan recipe, and then use those basic recipes to make all kinds of things. like i took a basic vanilla cake recipe and altered it to make coffeecake and next time i'm going to make a chocolate cake.

·
Banned
261 Posts
Hey, it's not hard to find a good vegan recipe--it certainly shouldn't take hours!!! You can find one for nearly everything. VW has a great recipe directory...http://vegweb.com/food/ . There are lots of others. There are lots of vegan cookbooks too--I'd reccommend How It All Vegan or The Voluptuous Vegan...mmm...yummy! And when all else fails (and I bet it won't), do a google search, ie, try "vegan moussaka" or "vegan carrot cake", or "vegan" whatever!!

Cassie

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
I'm with all those saying to stick it out. It won't always be like this, and if you never give yourself the opportunity to ride out the cravings, you'll never get over them.

Best of luck!

·
Registered
4,557 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by wild blackberry

i want to eat dairy so badly, but i don't want to hurt cows. yes, i sound weak, but i don't know where else to turn. :p
To add to the other suggestions, which may be more to your way of thinking: Is there a compromise position you could live with for now?

Say, you eat cheese only every now and then. Or you only eat cheese from farms where you know the cows have been treated well.

Around here, I have the choice to buy cheese from a Mennonite farm family at the Farmers' Market, and I have seen photos of their farm and read about their practices. I have actually visited the goat farm of another cheese maker that I buy from at the market. With both, I feel confident that the animals are treated very well. I am not vegan and don't plan to be, but I like being able to support their businesses and practices.

If this is unthinkable to you, forgive me for suggesting it.

·
Registered
8,777 Posts
Wild blackberry, I know *exactly* what you are going through. Find out what is best for you and stick with it. I was vegan for almost a year when I decided I couldn't take it anymore. I was making myself miserable!! And I'm a good cook and *love* to cook and usually make everything from scratch (I made a vegan cake from scratch last night). We eat a lot of different things here. That said, I still love some things like pizza and nachos. The compromise I made with myself is that I might eat a little cheese now & then (maybe once or twice a month), and I will let myself buy soy cheese (the kind with casein). Do what is best for you. maybe soy cheese is a good compromise for you, too. Or, maybe still use some dairy but really limit the amount (like, if you make enchiladas, only use cheese on top instead of in each enchilada. Or tell the pizza shop to only use 1/3 of the cheese they'd normally use - that's what I do and the pizzas are usually much less greasy!!) Or like borealis said, try a local dairy or one that you want to support. Is there a 4H nearby? Maybe you could buy dairy from them... OR, choose to stick it out and become fully vegan.

If veganism isn't for you, though, why force yourself to do it? If you're really hell-bent on becoming vegan, stick with it. If it's not that important to you, there's no reason in making yourself miserable. It'll take a while but try different things out until you figure out what suits you best.

Good luck!

amy

PS (added later) - you're NOT weak!! I'm tired of the vegan v. vegetarian thing meaning that any non-vegans don't have strong convictions, are weak, aren't as committed, etc. etc. You just haven't figured out what is right for you yet. You'll get there. Just try lots of different styles and you'll get there.

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
Are those vegan cheeses any good? I've not tried them, I'm still eating cow and goat cheese.

Silk soy milk is a real good milk subsitute. Tofu Scrambler (Fantastic Foods) is great for morning egg cravings. I'd rather eat that than eggs, actually. I think I could go vegan, but I know how you feel, Wild Blackberry about being addicted to cheese, and I don't know if I could quit it. It's the one thing that makes it easier to go out to eat...

1 - 20 of 58 Posts