VeggieBoards banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My son, who normally drinks 3 8-oz bottles of whole milk per day, has pretty much stopped drinking anything. It started when he got an ear infection a couple of weeks ago, and I think the sucking was hurting his ears. He is almost through his course of antibiotics, but I still can't get him to drink. We have tried all different kids of cups, the sippy cups, the straw cups, all kinds of things - he just does not want fluids.

We have had him into the doctor's many times, but they say he is NOT dehydrated. He still has wet diapers, normal poops, tears, drool, etc. So I'm not too worried about that.

I'm more concerned about the calories/fluids/good fats he gets from his whole milk. We have been giving him watery foods like oranges, fruit salad, etc.

He will drink very small amounts of juice or water, but he does not want milk whatsoever. My DH just tried giving him some chocolate milk and he drank about two sips of it and said "All done!"

I am just frustrated because I worry about him getting enough milk, for the fat, calories, calcium, etc. I know there are other sources of calcium in his vegetarian diet (we are ovo lacto) but to go from 24 oz to zero oz of milk is pretty extreme.

Any suggestions? Thanks!!

·
Registered
12,282 Posts
You will probably get a variety of posts about how milk is unnecessary, so I'm going to avoid that part..

Productive suggestions -> Whole milk yogurt, make fruit smoothies with milk/yogurt and freeze them into ice pops, cheese

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
For the moment, if he is getting other forms of liquids, and doesn't appear dehydrated, I wouldn't worry too much. Familiarize yourself with the signs of dehydration, and keep an eye on him. Don't worry too much about calories and nutrients at this point. Once he feels better from his infection, he'll start drinking again.

The watery foods are good as well for fluids.

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
Nobody Needs Milk

John Robbins

Of all the animals on the planet, people are the only creatures who routinely consume the milk products of other species. What has been assumed to be a beneficial practice is, in fact, more than merely questionable. The scientific evidence suggests that the consequences of this practice are devastating.

It appears likely that no other component in the modern diet causes more pain and suffering, including premature death and disability, than dairy products. There is compelling scientific evidence that our consumption of dairy products is strongly associated with the following conditions:

1. Childhood onset (type one) diabetes

2. Constipation

3. Otitis Media (ear infections)

4. Sinus congestion and Rhinitis

5. Skin problems including rashes, dermatitis, eczema, hives and acne

6.Asthma

7. Digestive disturbance (including irritable bowel syndrome and Crohn's disease)

8. Arthritis and joint pain

9. Cancer (lymphoma, leukemia)

10. Obesity

The problems with milk are numerous:

1. Milk proteins - All dairy products, especially low or non-fat dairy products, contain abundant quantities of milk proteins. Milk proteins are the most commonly implicated causal factor in promoting the diseases listed above.

2. Bacterial contamination - Dairy products are among the most common foods recalled by the FDA for contamination with bacteria such as salmonella, staphylococci, listeria, Ecoli 01573, and Mycobacterium paratuberculosis. Pasteurization kills most of the bacteria found in milk; however, in doing so, it creates viral fragments that may also be health compromising.

3. Biological concentration of toxins - All animal products, including dairy products, biologically concentrate the various poisons, including pesticides and other environmental contaminants. The resulting meat or milk products have highly concentrated levels of these toxins.

4. Hormones - In order to maximize milk production, dairy cows are routinely injected with recombinant bovine growth hormone (rbGH). This hormone dramatically increases milk production but also increases insulin-like growth factor-1 which has been shown to promote the growth of cancer cells.

5. Antibiotics - Large quantities of antibiotics are given to dairy cattle and may be contributing to the increasing problems of antibiotic resistant strains of bacteria.

6. Gut leakage - Dairy proteins appear to be particularly well suited to stimulating inappropriate immunological reactions when they are absorbed through an inflamed intestinal mucosa, a process commonly called "gut leakage." In vulnerable patients a variety of inflammatory processes are aggravated and may be associated with many of the disease processes listed above.

7. Environmental - The process of raising dairy cattle for milk and meat is a major user of fresh water and a leading contributor to both water and air pollution. Meat and dairy based diets are very hard on the environment.

8. Moral and ethical - Some people believe that the involuntary incarceration of sentient beings is morally repugnant and refuse to participate in a practice they consider immoral and unethical.

In over 20 years of clinical practice, the most consistently effective dietary advice that I have given my patients is, "Avoid the consumption of all dairy products."

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
by Jane Plant:

Milk Myth #1: Milk Helps Build Strong Bones

American parents pass this myth on to their children, and misguided nutritionists reinforce it. Actually, milk and other dairy products weaken the bones and accelerate osteoporosis. That's right, consumption of milk causes the very condition it's advertised to prevent.

As I'll explain in the next story, osteoporosis results from calcium loss, not insufficient calcium intake. And dairy products, because of their high protein content, promote calcium loss. Studies examining the incidence of osteoporosis have found that high consumption of dairy products is associated with high rates of osteoporosis. If you want strong bones, don't drink milk.

Milk Myth #2: Milk is the Ultimate Health Drink

The notion that milk is healthy for you is, again, "udder" nonsense. While eating fruits, vegetables and whole grains has been documented to lower the risk of heart attack, high blood pressure and cancer, the widely touted health benefits of dairy products are questionable at best. In fact, dairy products are clearly liked as a cause of osteoporosis, heart disease, obesity, cancer, allergies and diabetes. Dairy products are anything but "health" foods.

The association with heart disease is particularly strong. While we've always known that high-fat dairy products, such as whole milk and cheese, are significant contributors to high cholesterol levels and heart disease, William B. Grant, Ph.D., summarizes the mounting evidence that nonfat milk is also a major player in bringing on heart disease. Writing in Alternative Medicine Review, Dr. Grant points out that nonfat milk, which contains substantial amounts of dairy protein, is very low in B vitamins. The metabolism of all this protein in the absence of B vitamins contributes to the buildup of homocysteine, a marker for heart disease.

Milk Myth #3: Milk is Necessary for Growing Children

Oh really? Here are three reasons kids and milk don't mix. First, milk is the leading cause of iron-deficiency anemia in infants, and, in fact, the American Academy of Pediatrics now discourages giving children milk before their first birthday. Second, it has been shown that milk consumption in childhood contributes to the development of Type-I diabetes. Certain proteins in milk resemble molecules on the beta cells of the pancreas that secrete insulin. In some cases, the immune system makes antibodies to the milk protein that mistakenly attack and destroy the beta cells.

Third, milk allergies are very common in children and cause sinus problems, diarrhea, constipation and fatigue. They are a leading cause of the chronic ear infections that plague up to 40% of all children under the age of six. Milk allergies are also linked to behavior problems in children and to the disturbing rise of childhood asthma. (Milk allergies are equally common in adults and produce similar symptoms.) Even so august an authority on children as the late Dr. Benjamin Spock changed his recommendations in his later years and discouraged giving children milk.

MILK MYTH #4: Milk is Pure and Wholesome

As if milk weren't bad enough already, the chemical giant, Monsanto Company, and the FDA have made it far worse. In 1994 the FDA approved the use of recombinant bovine somatotropin (rbST), a genetically engineered hormone from Monsanto that increases milk production in cows by 10-25%. Milk from cows treated with rbST contains elevated levels of insulin-like growth factor-I (IGF-I), one of the most powerful growth factors ever identified.

IGF-I occurs naturally in both cows and humans and, in a fluke of nature, is identical between these two species. While IGF-I doesn't cause cancer, it definitely stimulates its growth. Recent studies have found a seven-fold increase in the risk of breast cancer in women with the highest IGF-I levels, and a four-fold increase in prostate cancer in men with the highest levels. Not only does rbST elevate your exposure to these growth factors, it also increases infections of the cow's udders. Therefore, cows treated with rbST are given more antibiotics, so higher traces of these drugs, as well as pus and bacteria from infected udders, are found in their milk.

In his recent book, MILK - The Deadly Poison (Argus Publishing, Inc., Englewood Cliffs, NJ, 1998), Robert Cohen, a tenacious investigative reporter, describes a level of corruption between Monsanto, the FDA and the Department of Agriculture that, in my opinion, warrants formal investigation and action against several individuals involved. This book documents how data were falsified and studies fabricated, and tells how the scientific community and public have been misled regarding rbST, its effects on our health, and the amounts of this hormone present in milk. Folks, you won't believe this book. Robert Cohen gives names, dates and document numbers that are irrefutable.

As you would expect, Monsanto is playing rough. In Florida, they put pressure on a FOX television station, which then fired two award-winning journalists with over 20 years experience for attempting to report on the dark side of bovine growth hormone. These two reporters are now suing the network. Monsanto has vigorously attacked those who simply want to label their dairy product as "hormone free." This whole mess is disgusting. It shouldn't surprise you that all of Europe and Canada have banned this hormone and we are the only major industrial country espousing and using it. To get a copy of the June/July 1998 issue of SunCoast Eco report, in which this story is reported, send a check for $3 to Editor-SunCoast Eco Report, P.O. Box 35500, Sarasota, FL, 34278. If you have access to the Internet, for more information on the suit, go to www.foxBGHsuit.com.

RECOMMENDATIONS FOR LIMITING YOUR DAIRY INTAKE

To start with, knock off drinking milk altogether. Fluid milk is likely to be the most highly concentrated, easily absorbed source of growth hormones. Instead use soy milk or rice milk in your coffee, cereal and cooking. You'll find dairy-free cheeses, ice cream and drinks in your health food store.

Use all dairy products sparingly, and be sure to avoid products from hormone-treated cows. A growing number of dairies offer organic or hormone-free dairy products.

For a list of those studies discussed in this article, send a self-addressed stamped article to: CF/Phillips Publishing, 7811 Montrose Road, Potomac, MD 20854.

I strongly recommend that you get more information on the dangers of dairy products by reading Robert Cohen's book, available from the Dairy Education Board (USA phone codes) 1-888-NOTMILK (888-668-6455).

·
Registered
3,477 Posts
Issues with children needing milk aside....If your son is sick his body isn't acting normally and he probably won't be intaking food/fluids normally. Provided he isn't getting dehydrated, and unless there is a health problem you haven't told us about, he'll be fine for a few days (or weeks) of sub optimal nutrition. His body is perfectly capable of working without the correct amt of fat, calories, and nutrients for quite some time and being perfectly fine. His body is saying he doesn't want to drink much right now, listen to it.

·
Registered
11,049 Posts
While I could jump on the "Milk is Bad" bandwagon too, my bigger concerns for the moment are actually related to the bottle itself:

1.) How old is your son? If he is old enough to be drinking whole milk, (over age 1) he is old enough to drink from a cup, (before that age their bodies cannot digest plain whole milk and any Pediatrician worth their degree will tell you that).

(*Silver, I totally agree with you, but your info pretty much covered everything, I am just trying to offer additional advice that might also help.)

2.) Has his ear infection been re-checked? Is the Dr. COMPLETELY sure it's gone? Drinking from a bottle (or even a straw or sippy cup that uses suction) causes suction in his mouth that puts pressure on his Eustachian tubes, so if there is any infection or swelling left, it will be uncomfortable.

On the other hand, the mouth and jaw action used for brastfeeding actually RELIEVES some of that pressure which is why breastfed babies sometimes "just want to nurse and nurse" when they have an ear infection. If he's taking a bottle, I assume breastfeeding isn't an option?

3.) Does the Dr. know he still uses a bottle? Drinking from a bottle is very much related to tooth decay and increases hugely after age 1. It's easier to wean to a sippy cup at this age than further down the line... have you tried liquids in a sippy cup or even a cup with NO sippy lid? (Of course you'll have to help hold the cup...)

11,550 Posts
milk is mucous forming, so he's probably better off without it if he has an ear infection (i'm trying really hard to not get into the whole dairy thing, but i'm biased against it following a childhood of horrendous ENT infections that rapidly went away when i gave up dairy!).

if you really want to get milk into him, will he eat a thick rice pudding, or a milk based set jello style pudding or a... in england its called angel delight but i'm not sure what it is called elsewhere... dr otkers (?) whipped kinda dessert? what about icecream or frozen fruit yogurt popsicles? i shudder as i type that, lol... so just for my own sanity i'll add that you could maybe consider using fortified soy or rice milk (rice milk is low in protein so watch out for that) or blended silken tofu in the above, instead of milk?

i wouldn't worry too much about it becoming a problem, as its not a long term thing yet, and even if it becomes one and he never eats/drinks dairy again, he'll still be perfectly fine with a little change in the foods and drinks you offer him. you could always try putting other things into his diet to make up for the nutrients he'll be short of, for the meantime, which would also be handy in terms of introducing new foods- stuff like chickpeas, tofu, broccolli ... etc.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Recently, I read that dairy cows with Bovine Leukemia (BLV) can still produce milk for human consumption. I was truly shocked.

I emailed the National Dairy Council and received this as a response:

"Thanks for contacting the National Dairy Council with your question. Bovine Leukemia - known as BLV to veterinarians - is an animal health issue, not a human health concern. BLV is a viral disease of cattle that is not transmissible to humans and is destroyed in milk through pasteurization. "

(I also emailed two dairy companies, one being organic, and received similar replies)

Then, on the California Breast Cancer Research Program's site, I came across this study:

http://www.cbcrp.org/research/PageGr...p?grant_id=107

Here's an excerpt:

"This research has addressed the first aspect of the overall proposal, whether humans can become infected with BLV. Human breast tissues removed during surgery, breast tissue sections received from a pathologist, and cells from milk and blood were searched for evidence of different components of BLV using cellular and molecular techniques (immunocytochemistry, PCR, and in situ hybridization). Human blood was tested for antibodies to BLV. We detected evidence of BLV DNA in blood cells from 9 of 22 human volunteers and in surgically removed breast tissues from 10 of 23 patients. We found evidence of BLV proteins in breast tissues from 8 of 26 patients. Antibodies to BLV were found in the serum of over half of the 100 human volunteers tested. These preliminary results suggest that humans may be infected with BLV."

Maybe I shouldn't be interpreting scientific studies, but to me, it looks as if some components of BLV are transmissible to humans.

But don't take what I say as fact... do your own research, email your local dairy companies... see what you come up with.

·
Registered
137 Posts
When I was little, I hated milk when I was sick, so maybe your son just doesn't want to drink it. Milk isn't exactly super hydrating anyway, (actually the thought of drinking milk to quench thirst after a workout is nauseating) so let him get his calories elsewhere and keep him hydrated with flavored pedialyte. Even now when I'm sick and don't feel like eating, I just let myself eat whatever appeals to me, even if it's junk food I wouldn't normally eat. When I feel better, I eat normally again. The evils of milk aside, I'm sure he'll start drinking it when he feels better!

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
have you tried popsicles? Soups?

melon is a water-heavy food, so are a lot of fruits and veggies. If he's not drinking you can try fruit. and if he's not drinking, i would get that ear looked at again.

·
Registered
4,914 Posts
Well first, I never drink whole milk when anything in my head is infected. Well, honestly i never drink whole milk, but I mean I instantly cut out all dairy products all together. This could be his way of following his bodies instincts. Even many non-vegetarians know that dairy is not good for any sinus/ear related problems.

Secondly. If he's eating and drinking water (water is actually the best drink for him right now) don't worry about it.

Several weeks ago my daughter who's ten was sick. She had NO appetite. I tried to get her to eat, and she obliged, but then threw up. I think sometimes our bodies jut need a rest period...don't force foods or any fluids other than water when someone is not feeling well.

B

1 - 17 of 17 Posts