VeggieBoards banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,<br><br>
I have recently committed to be vegetarian for life, and what moved me to take this step was encouragement from friends and also several videos that showed how much suffering the animals had to go through just for our tastebuds...<br><br>
Because my friend and I was so moved by the video narrated by Sir Paul McCartney; if slaughterhouses had glass walls, everyone would be vegetarian... we thought we'd return the favor by creating awareness about the suffering of these animals.<br><br>
Please help and support. The aim of our cause is to reach 10,000 viewers before October 2011.<br><br>
The link to the cause: <a href="http://www.causes.com/causes/593514?as_id=1037936&as_type=Sharing&" target="_blank">http://www.causes.com/causes/593514?..._type=Sharing&</a><br><br>
Please share it with your friends and family, share it tirelessly to make up for the times we were ignorant of the suffering of these animals.<br><br>
If you have watched the video before, that is excellent... please watch it again to show you care.<br>
If you have not watched the video, please support our cause. Vegetarian/Vegan or not, the suffering of these animals should be known and not left silent.<br><br>
Thank you in advance.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ROFL! Well, yeah... haha!<br>
Initially, I was hoping readers of this forum would see the necessity of spreading the news to friends and family...hmm guess i hoped for too much... lol.

·
Registered
222 Posts
You are a new vegetarian, my friend, and spreading the word is what all new vegetarians do.<br>
We know the videos, know the atrocities...<br><br>
Go out and spread the video to the omnivores, though - just know that a lot of people won't want to hear or see it. It's a willful ignorance, and they'll put more effort into setting up mental blocks than it would take to listen and alter their lifestyle.<br>
The first step of being an outspoken/active veg*n is the trial and error stage of trying to convince people. I urge you to also look into the other aspects of vegetarianism, though - the health and the environmental/ecological approach. Ethics is a messy field, and a lot of people have already closed their minds to what happens behind the doors of a factory farm, but if you really know your stuff, sometimes you can catch them off-guard with a curve ball.<br>
For example, when people tell me I can't get enough protein (which is absolutely inaccurate), I tell them the average American gets TOO MUCH protein, which has series health repercussions.<br>
When someone talks about our dependence on foreign oil (which seems irrelevant), I pull out statistics - a meat-eaters diet uses 200 gallons more of fossil fuel every year, and going vegetarian saves more fuel than driving a Prius, etc.<br>
It's about knowing your stuff, and knowing how to utilize it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey... that's very nicely said and i like it. Didn't really thought of creating awareness in a different angle either than what was on the video. You got me thinking, thank you =)<br><br>
Guess i've got a lot of homework to do this weekend, gotta find information to cater to other's views hehe.

·
Registered
222 Posts
No problem.<br><br>
It's good, when starting out, to focus on what I consider the main three arguments of vegetarianism - ethics, environment, and health. There's always new angles to explore and new arguments to push, as well as new information, so it's good to keep your eyes open. I've been meat-free for 8 years, and I'm still learning new things.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Yes, I used to be one of those people myself who didn't want to see or hear where meat came from. It was just a neatly, cleanly packed lump that tasted good after being fried etc. I always liked companion animals liked cats and dogs, though, and once ended up going to a farm just for a day out, just something different to do. And I totally fell in love with a calf...and started going there every week, and got to know the animals there. And realised they were just like cats and dogs, with their wonderful personalities and cute ways. There is no way I could eat meat ever again...But I don't know how to make my omnivore friends see my point, without losing them as friends....Obviously will be sending the link to the video above, but I doubt they'll watch it. Even the ones who claim to love animals....

·
Registered
3,423 Posts
I post some stuff on my facebook acct.....it frustrates me to no end that people don't "get it!"....I mean, how could you not? My sister is an ex dairy farmer, and she has cut back their meat consumption for general health benefits, but still doesn't "get it". we've had some pretty heated discussions about it actually, and I'm not willing to lose my family, but I learned this on my own, mainly from here, I didn't have someone mentoring me personally, which would have been great. How does one distinguish between livestock and family pet? How do you shoot a wild animal with no emotional connection, and also send a veal calf off to slaughter after you've pet it, and fed it and let it suck on your fingers?<br><br>
Keep going, and go strong!

·
Registered
186 Posts
Oh I know the feeling, I post stuff on Facebook all the time but I only get replies from my already vegetarian friends. Its difficult. I converted when I watched Earthlings, perhaps people need to be shown, but I don't really know how we'd go about doing that.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts