VeggieBoards banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I honestly don't know if this is the right place to post this, but since it's about my nephew, I figured I'd start in the "Family" section.

My nephew just graduated from High School and I need to get him something for his graduation party. Here is my problem....

1) His mom (my sister) yelled at me for being depressed a few wks back, and she has not spoken to me since. Due to this, my husband does NOT want to go to the party, but he's okay with sending a gift.

2) I love my nephew and would like to give him something to show my love, but financially, I'm pretty tapped out.

So, my question to everyone is this, what do you give to a young man for graduation that won't cause you to break the bank?

I really need some suggestions, as the party is this Saturday, and I'd like to get something in the mail to him before then.

Thanks all.

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
I didn't get anything for my graduation! (Which means I better get something unreal for my PhD grad LOL) We brought my brother the boxset of star wars CDs. My fiance got a hipflask and a crystal decanter set (so his family is more extravagant than mine!) You could get him something related to his prospective line of work? Or a nice pen or something (I know that sounds a bit kitch but a personal one could be nice).

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Is he going away to college? If so, a laundry basket with some laundry detergent, fabric softener, stain remover, and a roll of quarters is a nice gift that doesn't cost much. I got one for my high school graduation and it was great.

Photo albums and/or frames are also great gifts and I really like Shewolf's idea of the nice pen. Plus, a refillable pen is very environmentally friendly.

·
Registered
2,907 Posts
Maybe something along the idea of Muppetcows. How about a basket with some dried pastas and sauces, crackers, cookies and canned/dried soups. Very practical for a young person who may be out on their own.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I really like muppetcow's idea, but my nephew's situation is a weird one. You see, he has an older brother who has a learning disability. (dyslexia) For years, my younger nephew was left to pick up after his brother, so to speak. What's sad is that my nephew's mom even went so far as to complete her other son's school work so that he would get a diploma just like the younger one. Now, the older son is actually enrolled in a real school program and is finally learning basic things like reading, while the younger one is pretty much left to work. Currently, he is washing windows. I have no clue as to whether or not he is going to advance his education any further. It wouldn't matter to me if he were washing windows by choice, but I know that's not the case. It's a very long story....My husband and I would love to scrape up enough money to really give my nephew a GREAT gift, but we know that we would be obligated to do the same for the older brother, yet we don't feel the older one deserves the same. Personally, when the older brother finishes the current school that he is in, then I feel that he will deserve to be rewarded. I don't think the older one should receive the same reward as the younger brother since their mom did all of the older one's school work. I may love her, but shame on her. All she's done is hurt the older son. Anyway...I guess that is another reason why it's so hard to pick a gift. My sister is resentful that others won't throw the older son a graduation party, but honestly, I can understand why. So...the saga of selecting a gift continues.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts