VeggieBoards banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone.

I am personal friends with 4 of the 6 Sea Shepherd Cove Guardians that are trapped in Tono, Japan right now.

For more than 24 hours we did not know if they were alive or dead. We knew they were on the beach when the quake hit, but did not know if they made it to high ground before the tsunami or not. Last night we finally heard their voices on the telephone - they're alive.

They are among severe devastation. They had to wade through water, make their way through burning cities, climb over bodies, and hike for miles to get back to safe ground in the city of Tono.

The four friends I know went to Japan with barely enough money to stay the whole 3 weeks. They were documenting and protesting the Dall's Porpoise slaughter out of Ōtsuchi, Iwate. They used most of their money to pay for their hotel up front, and they paid $2000 cash for a rental car up front. The car was abandoned and washed away in the flood. They have... nothing.

I know family and personal friends will do their best to make this happen, but we are of little means. Most activists count on fundraisers to get them by. To make things faster and more comfortable for them, their loved ones, and the process - we are hoping people can donate to get them what they need while they are stuck, and bring them home as fast as possible.

You can read about their ordeal:

Newest article
http://www.seashepherd.org/news-and-...-110311-1.html
http://www.seashepherd.org/news-and-...-110312-1.html

The daughter of one of the Sea Shepherd Cove Guardians who is with my friends has been keeping up the status and photos of the group on her blog

Here is a status update from just moments ago, posted by Brian Barnes, a photographer and conservationist from "Planet Earth" who is with my friends:

Quote:
We're now facing the problem of the nuclear meltdown and we want to leave. There are no trains. We're going to need an airlift from the US State Dept, or Dept. of Defense to an airport. Three of the SSCS activist need financial help for plane ticket out of Japan. Check Elora's blog for more info.
Now, HOW CAN YOU HELP??

You can donate through their blog, which was last updated the day of the earthquake (before it happened.) www.thecoveguardians.blogspot.com the link to their paypal account is off to the right.

Please, even small donations help.

You can contact me for more information, I can tell you anything you need to know. I have status updates and pictures and I'm in contact with all of the SSCS crew on the ground in Japan, and their families who are waiting for them to come home.

Please help!

This photo was taken by one of the SS Cove Guardians among my group of friends.

·
Premium Member
16,664 Posts
Wow, that picture literally made me gasp. I will be donating, I hope they make it home ASAP.

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you so much, Werewolf Girl. I know you are from Vancouver, 3 of the 6 people in this group are from Vancouver Island, and a fourth is living on Vancouver Island athough he is originally from the US. We are really trying to get them home ASAP, especially with the nuclear stuff that's happening there.

That picture is, or was, Otsuchi. This is what they had to walk through to get back to safety.

·
Registered
8,743 Posts
Thanks for posting! I hope people put this on their Facebooks and send out emails and such to try to get them help.

So this was near the area where the dolphins are slaughtered? I sure hope this event ends that activity. Who knows - maybe it will make it worse because there will be no one there to witness, and the killers are greedy bastards.

·
Ankle Biter
9,333 Posts
I helped.

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
I'm glad to hear they are okay. Last thing I had heard is they were missing.

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irizary View Post

Thanks for posting! I hope people put this on their Facebooks and send out emails and such to try to get them help.

So this was near the area where the dolphins are slaughtered? I sure hope this event ends that activity. Who knows - maybe it will make it worse because there will be no one there to witness, and the killers are greedy bastards.
Taiji, where "The Cove" was filmed, was mostly unscathed, however the water was so rough that all the dolphins died in their pens.

However, where my friends are - they are in shambles, this is where the major Dall's Porpoise slaughter happens every year. They were working to expose it in a similar style as dolphins and "The Cove."

There won't be much fishing for a while, especially if everything end up having radiation poisoning.

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you Poppy!!
They are waiting for a helicopter to come and get them. They are worried about getting sick from all the toxins they are breathing, and being close to the nuclear explosion.

I hope they get home, soon.

·
Registered
8,743 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by paisleyjane View Post

Taiji, where "The Cove" was filmed, was mostly unscathed, however the water was so rough that all the dolphins died in their pens.

However, where my friends are - they are in shambles, this is where the major Dall's Porpoise slaughter happens every year. They were working to expose it in a similar style as dolphins and "The Cove."

There won't be much fishing for a while, especially if everything end up having radiation poisoning.
I don't know enough about what happens there to know about the pens. It enrages me that we humans cage these animals that, had we left them alone in their environment, they would have been safe - they would have been out at sea - or like all the land animals that ran from the tsunami several years ago. It reminds me of the university lab animals during Katrina that were left to drown and starve while their captors took off to save themselves. Most humans are crap.

I hope the Sea Shepherd people make it out of there fast, and get the support to do it. I understand there are 20,000 people at the one of the airports, trying to leave. I hope they can keep positive and try not to panic too much about the toxins and such right now - the worry can only compound a situation they can't change. It's so hard when you try to do good things and something terrible happens in the process.

·
The prowling wolf
878 Posts
Is it possible to donate with euro's too? I'd like to help, but don't have another way to pay.

·
Registered
908 Posts
I'll see to it that I donate something when I'm back home from studying with friends. Windigo, if you use Paypal it should be fine - I've done transactions to the US, for example, and Paypal converts € to $ automatically.

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
They have received enough donations to take the 4 hour taxi ride to the nearest airport. There was NO OTHER way, they had to get out RIGHT THEN. They needed to get as far away from the nuclear meltdown as possible. They are now in a small city at a small airport, crowded with people, while the streets are bare... and they can't even afford to get all three of them on a flight if the seats came up.

At times like this, money shouldn't even matter. It boggles my mind that someone could live or die, get radiation poisoning or not, based on who has the cash to get out of the situation.

PLEASE HELP US!

Update: here is a blog post written by the wife of one of the group, posted by his daughter, and explains that the guardians won't be turned away for lack of funds, but funds help... and any extra will be donated to relief efforts after they are home safe. http://eloramalama.wordpress.com/201...d-by-disaster/

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
Paisley, the husband of someone I sort of know is there with your friends. I was wondering how close they are to the nuclear plants and if they do meltdown what will happen to them, if anyone knows that? I haven't wanted to ask her anything because obviously she's very worried about him and everyone else and has a lot of people asking her questions and stuff. She hasn't said anything about the nuclear plants and I sure as hell am not going to ask her about that right now. All the guardians/SSCS are in my thoughts and prayers along with all of Japan right now. I've also donated.

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hi Almeria.
They were in Tono, which is not far from the nuclear plants. They emergency evacuated via chartered taxi to a town on the opposite coast, 4 hours away.
The are safer there, although I hesitate to say they are safe until they are home.

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
After I posted I figured out that Tono was 3hrs away from the nuclear plant. I'm glad they are further away now, but they definitely are not safe until they are home in my eyes either.

PS: Just heard from Watson that they flights have been arranged to bring them all to Seattle.

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
YES! Great news!! They are coming home!!
Sea Shepherd has booked all 6 of them flights to Seattle. Thank GOODNESS!!

Thank you for your support, everyone.
Any extra donations that come in will be donated to relief efforts in Japan. (I imagine an animal related relief effort, as well, I can get details if needed)

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
They are back home.

http:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts