VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
does your body really need dairy? My dads freaking out cause he says that u need dairy, and that i'm not eating enough protein. I admit to not doing so hot on the protein, but he's insisting on me to go back to dairy,
and i really don't feel like lying to his face, saying that i'm eating dairy when i'm really not.
thanks!

·
Registered
441 Posts
no.

you don't.

the ONLY reason people need dairy, really, is because of calcium. often, it is fortified with vitamin D, too. that is what it is recommended.

i'm allergic to dairy - not lactose intolerant - but allergic to dairy. and i'm doing bang-up fine. for me to need dairy would kill me.

make sure you get your calcium, and you're fine, really.

also, protein is over-rated... you might really be getting enough and not be aware. it is possible to consume too much, resulting in health problems.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanx, i never thought of lactose intolerant and peple who are allergic to dairy. Many people can't have dairy because of this, so u don't need dairy at all! what other ways can u get calcium? Through soy suff right? Soy milk, yogurt ect. thanx again i'm gonna use this when i talk to my dad tomorrow, and yea ur right, protein is really overrated! lol!

·
Registered
441 Posts
Actually, that isn't true - people who are lactose intolerant can have dairy - they just cannot have lactose.

It is dairy or casein allergies (I am the latter - casein) that cannot have dairy.

Just make sure you ARE getting enough protein, and calcium in general.

·
Registered
995 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by raddish View Post

to laurie15

dairy products have milk in them (that's what "dairy" is)

lactose is milk sugar

therefore -----> it is in all dairy products
That is not true you can buy lactose free dairy products then otehr things like yogurt the cultures use the lactose as food and there is very little to none in many dairy products, mostly just milk.

To answer the OP's question you can get along fine without milk or dairy you just need to be sure and eat properly.

If you live in chips,candy and soda then you will not get what you need but if you are eating a nice varaity of fruits and veggies then you should be getting all you need without adding dairy.

·
Registered
19,134 Posts
Daisy..is it just calcium that he feels you're missing? If so, maybe you can do some research and show him that you can get calcium from other sources. There are all sort of places to get calcium, and many have calcium more easily absorbed than that in milk. One place to start http://www.vegansociety.com/html/foo...on/calcium.php

If even that fails, maybe he'd consider letting you take a calcium supplement? It's not the best choice, imo, but it may help put his mind at ease.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Daisy, I am going to make an assumption that you are a teen? Your dad is probably just concerned because you are growing and these are critical years now for bone health, you do not need dairy to get the proper calcium and vit D needed for this. but you do have to make sure you get the proper amount, teenage girls really have to be aware, and just an fyi drinking carbonated soda will leach it right out of your bones, so its important not only to eat calcium rich non dairy foods, but also dont drink much soda either,

with that said, you can get fortified soy milk, rice milk and almond milk, there is calcium fortified orange juice, you can take a suppletment, green leafy veggies are a good source of calcium too.

google non dairy sources of calcium, and print it out for your dad, also you can find out your protein requirements too based on your weight and you will see its not too terribly difficult to reach this by eating veg, beans, grains, etc. show this all to your dad.

·
Registered
87 Posts
If he's concerned, take a multivitamin and calcium. But if this makes you feel better, my mother hasn't consumed dairy for about 40 years, she's now 56 years old. She recently got a bone density test done because menopausal women are at risk for osteoporosis. The dr told her she had the bones of a 20 year old. You can get calcium from things like spinach and brocolli.

I know it's annoying, but your father just wants the best for you and isn't as educated about veganism as he could be.

·
Registered
0 Posts
You can get plenty of calcium from vegetables. Almost every vegetables contains nutrients your body needs.

Research isnt sufficient enough. I think meat just degenerate your body from all the nutrients your body needs...

·
Registered
68 Posts
Yes, you can do fine without dairy. Think of all the modern and historical human cultures that consume little to no dairy, or think of how humans got by before we domesticated cows, or think of how chimps and gorillas and other animals get by in the wild without milk. It's a cultural thing, not a necessity.

Check out http://www.godairyfree.org/ for some good health information.

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
The American Dietetic Association says we don't need dairy:

Quote:
It is the position of the American Dietetic Association and Dietitians of Canada that appropriately planned vegetarian diets are healthful, nutritionally adequate, and provide health benefits in the prevention and treatment of certain diseases. Approximately 2.5% of adults in the United States and 4% of adults in Canada follow vegetarian diets...

... A vegetarian, including vegan, diet can meet current recommendations for all of these nutrients. In some cases, use of fortified foods or supplements can be helpful in meeting recommendations for individual nutrients. Well-planned vegan and other types of vegetarian diets are appropriate for all stages of the life cycle, including during pregnancy, lactation, infancy, childhood, and adolescence.

Vegetarian diets offer a number of nutritional benefits, including lower levels of saturated fat, cholesterol, and animal protein as well as higher levels of carbohydrates, fiber, magnesium, potassium, folate, and antioxidants such as vitamins C and E and phytochemicals. Vegetarians have been reported to have lower body mass indices than nonvegetarians, as well as lower rates of death from ischemic heart disease; vegetarians also show lower blood cholesterol levels; lower blood pressure; and lower rates of hypertension, type 2 diabetes, and prostate and colon cancer.
Read more: http://www.eatright.org/cps/rde/xchg...3_ENU_HTML.htm

But note that they say "appropriately planned vegan diets". How are you for planning your meals and getting the nutrients you need?

·
Registered
80 Posts
It is silly to think that our bodies NEED dairy. All dairy products are made out of the BREAST MILK of ANOTHER SPECIES of animal. It is not natural or nessicary for humans to consume the breast milk of another species of animal. I don't think early homo sapiens went around stalking pregnant/nursing wild hoofstock so they could suck on their teats....silly.

·
Registered
2,511 Posts
It's really starting to bother me when experts say, "A WELL PLANNED vegan diet can provide all the nutrients you need". Um, no matter what kind of diet you have be it omni/vegetarian/vegan, you need a well planned diet to get all the nutrients you need. Sure, the nutrients you're deficient in will be different but you'll still be deficient in something.

·
Registered
24 Posts
No, the only beings that need any kind of dairy products are calves...

I would suggest that your parents read the China Study or The Food Revolution. From what I've read it doesn't make a difference whether you eat a lot of calcium or a little, what's important is maintaining slightly alkaline ph in the body. Dark leafy greens, almonds, and figs amongst other plants contain good amounts of calcium. Many if not all fruits contain some calcium.

What bothers me is the some textbooks say that vegetarians should eat vitamin C with iron and non refined grains. Well everyone should eat vitamin C rich foods on whole grains. Dumbazzes.

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayrlin View Post

That is not true you can buy lactose free dairy products then otehr things like yogurt the cultures use the lactose as food and there is very little to none in many dairy products, mostly just milk.
Really (about the yogurt)? I'm self-diagnosed as lactose-intolerant, but yogurt makes me sicker than anything else, including straight milk. Maybe I have an intolerance to something else in milk, or lactose and something in yogurt. Interesting.

I'd add something on-topic, but you all have covered everything I would have said.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts