VeggieBoards banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just realized the combination of some supergreens powders i take gives me like 2000% daily vit. E

is this dangerous? please let me know - also if you know of any other vitamins that are dangerous in high amounts.

thanks!

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
Hi Dreeza!

I think you may want to lower your intake. Vitamin E is a fat soluable vitamin which means the excess doesnt get flushed out like lets say Vitamin C which is a water soluable vitamin. You can take large doses of Vitamin C because it is water soluable and will get flushed out. Fat soluable vitamins do just what they say, they are absorbed into the body and not flushed out.

This link says 1,500 IU should be the top intake amount, but you will want to do some more research on this subject for sure:

http://dietary-supplements.info.nih....s/vitamine.asp

http://www.anyvitamins.com/fat-solub...amins-info.htm

Hope this helps!

·
Registered
5,691 Posts
It's possible that's too much. I did just read a book by a neurologist where he recommends supplementing with 400-600 mg Vit E for optimum brain health, and that's the highest recommendation I've seen. (He's not a supplement nut; he thinks all other vitamins are best obtained from a balanced, whole foods, primarily vegetarian diet.) I think if you're taking 2000% of the RDA, you're taking quite a bit more than that.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ok, so i got the 2000% off of fitday.com, and i was trying to figure out how the heck i was getting that much. One supplement gives me 390%, another gives me 67%...and thats all...

i do take another that has 333%, but fitday doesnt know about that. So how it got 2000 is beyond me...

700 or so % seems a little better...so maybe false alarm! i am gonna look more into this though. thanks guys!

·
Registered
5,691 Posts
Well, I went back and checked mine on FitDay (from a few months ago when I was logging my food) and it shows:

my RDA = 8 mg ATE (alpha-tocopherol equivalents)

my intake for the month = 232 mg

% RDA = 2901%

I thought the RDA was higher than that, more like 20+ mg per day. So actually, 2900% of the RDA doesn't really bother me, because it's only 200+ mg, when the doctor I mentioned recommends 400-600 mg as a safe, conservative amount that shouldn't hurt you but may improve your brain's health.

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
There are studies in which high doses of Vit. E are associated with higher mortality in humans. We had high doses in rheumatology a couple of years ago and urge patients not to take more than 100 IE twice per week.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts