VeggieBoards banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. I am thinking about making my 5 year old a cake for her birthday. She likes Chocolate with chocolate frosting. I would like to make it vegan, but it needs to be the kind of cake the kids like - you know, fluffy, chocolatey, messy? Am I out of my mind?

Let me know.

Also, my husband's birthday is the same day. He likes German chocolate, but really doesn't care that much.

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!

·
Registered
0 Posts
I have a question. Do you consider icing sugar vegan? Some do, some don't, so I'm just laying it out there.

If you consider it vegan, I have a Earth Balance "butter" icing that is shockingly good. But it uses icing sugar, so that's why I ask.

The cake part is easy
It's all in the icing.

·
Registered
0 Posts
I've found a number of instant cakes are in fact vegan. It's often cheaper to use an dry egg alternative then to use dried egg. And many cake mixes don't even include egg or milk in the dry batter - you have to add your own.

If you find a dry mix, simply use egg replacer. I find it works well. I've had mixed results with tofu. If you have a rare recipe that calls for milk (almost none do), soy milk bakes fine.

·
Registered
811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What is icing sugar? I'll definitely check into the instant cake. That would be so great. I actually have some eggs that I get from a woman who has 17 chickens (they all have names and live a free life - so free she sometimes has to collect the eggs from the bushes), and I can use that if I need to. My daughter eats eggs, but I don't.

Thanks. I'm so new to this stuff that I'm not sure what is out there. I live in San Antonio and we have 3 large (huge) grocery stores that carry veg*n stuff, and lots of it. I should be able to find something there. I am going to try to keep the party as veg*n as possible.

My daughter LOVES tofuttie cutties. So that's no problem.

Thanks all!

·
Registered
811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I use Smart Balance margarine (no hydrogenated oils-tastes great), so I would love the icing reciepe. Can it be done in chocolate. I don't have a problem with regular sugar, although I use Rapadura organic cane sugar when possible. Would you please help me?

·
Registered
0 Posts
That is about as free range as you'll ever get! LOL

Icing sugar...what do American's call it? Powdered sugar? It's not the granulated type that you put into coffee. This is a powdered, fluffy type.

The recipe for chocolate is:

Cream:

1/3 cup cocoa powder

1/2 cup soft (room temperature) Earth Balance margarine or another favorite buttery margarine

Beat in:

2 tsp vanilla

2 tbsp soy milk

1 cup icing sugar

Gradually add:

1-3 tbsp soy milk until desire smoothness is achieved.

*warning: This will make everyone high as a kite after eating!

·
Registered
0 Posts
EP,

If you want, you can leave out the cocoa for vanilla icing and dye it.

My BF's kids (4 and 6) love this icing. I don't make it often, as it's ultra rich AND full of sugar. But sometimes, you gotta splurge.

Oh! I've used plain and vanilla soy milk and both are good, though vanillla does add a little more sweetness. I haven't tried chocolate, though.

·
Registered
3,457 Posts
How does your daughter like bananas? I made my vegan 1 year old's birthday cake and it turned out soooooo good. All of the guests at the party couldn't stop talking about the cake. It's a chocolate (or carob) banana cake. I can get you the recipe if you'd like.

-Sal

·
Registered
4,049 Posts
The cake on my site is the easiest and most delicious vegan chocolate cake I've ever made or tasted. I get requests for it constantly, even from my vegetarian food-hatin' friends.

It's especially great with the PB frosting. it's like reese's pb cups!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.