VeggieBoards banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wanted to say hello! I am an avid animal-lover, and I have pretty strong views towards animal neglect, abuse, etc. .. I have always loved animals, and I used to work at a very small "mom and pop's" pet store, where we valued all our animals and paid lots of individual attention to them. We sold mostly birds, lizards, amphibians, and fish, but did not sell dogs or cats (for obvious reasons...). We believed if the person was not properly educated about an animal, then he/she should not be fit to be a pet owner...though sometimes it was money over matter...unfortunately...

There have been so many times where I wanted to strangle a parent for buying their 5 year old kid a bird, lizard, fish, etc. in hopes to keep them occupied for say...a week...but we all know how the story goes...kid gets tired of it, has their parent take care of it, parent doesn't want to...and it gets passed around. Its sickening...don't ever buy any animals at the spur of the moment for kids (or any irresponsible people for that matter)...though I have seen a COUPLE responsible kids during my stay.

Anyways, I have a sun conure, a pacific parrotlet, 2 axolotls, 1 betta, and 1 german shepard. I've hand raised and hand fed both my birds since they were featherless (both from the shop), and my axolotls are still growing. I've had my better for 2 years, and the german shepard is my boyfriends'- and she is almost 12 years old now.

My conure sleeps in a alligator bed (made for cats) everynight, loves to watch sesame street, spends 50% of the time cuddling under my shirt, and hates spongebob
My parrotlet loves to run around on the floor, play on her playgym, and loves getting her head scratched. They are both extremely spoiled...and may get offended if you called them birds.

Well...my intro was basically about my animals..but my animals are basically my life...so I guess that makes sense

ciao

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Oh.. I also joined the board to get more aspects on veganism... I want switch to a vegan lifestyle...but it's kinda hard when the people you live with find that "not eating meat" and "not using any animal-related products" hard ideas to accept...sigh.

I lived with my best friend for a year, who was vegan..in fact her entire family was vegan...so I was able to try a lot of the foods that she did, as well as some products that I didn't even know existed...such as natural, non-animal-tested detergents, dish washer fluids, shampoos, etc, that you get at those nice health food stores..

Well, hopefully my path will be easier.

·
Registered
11,759 Posts
Welcome to veggie boards! Your animals sound awesome, and it's great that you take such great care of them. It makes me mad when people don't take care of their animals

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks!
I get so angry when I hear stories or see animal neglect and whatnot.. I'm glad there are people out there that don't consider me over-emotional about animals :p

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi, welcome! Your animals sound great. I love conures... my mother and I used to have a green cheek conure named Cedrick... he learned to say his name, but there was always an extra syllable before it that sounded like "where," so it was like he was saying "Where's Cedrick?" Cute. Birds are fun.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
haha yeah, green cheeks are cute! My bird can say "Jubi"; she'll say it when she she's tired or just wants attention

1 - 10 of 10 Posts