VeggieBoards banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, my name is Marc Romero. I found this forum in my search for a healthier lifestyle. Bought a book from church the other day called "Eat drink and be healthy" and watched a documentary called "Food Matter" which inspired me to want to change my eating habits. According to my research the vegetarian or vegan lifestyle is the way to go. Its going to take some getting used to but I cannot allow my family to poison themselves any longer. I really was always (in the back of my mind) kinda against the vegetarian lifestyle because of my lack of knowledge but like the Lord said in Hosea 4-6 "my people perish for the lack of knowledge"

One thing I am wondering about is how to make this work where I live. We have no organic food stores and from my research the veggies at like walmart are deficient because of the way they are grown and processed.. Also Would like to know for those of you who get your supplements online, where is the best place to get the BEST superfoods and supplements. (no sales pitches or affiliate links please unless it is actually the best stuff)

Thanks for taking the time to read this post.

·
Give peas a chance
1,715 Posts
Welcome!

Just to be clear, eating organic and eating vegetarian/vegan are separate issues. You can follow a vegetarian/vegan diet regardless of whether the produce was grown organically.

I grow a lot of my own vegetables and greens, and use organic gardening methods. No pesticides, herbicides or fungicides, etc. That reduces the amount of non-organic food I consume. For things I am unable to grow, I try to get what I can from the local farmers market, from growers that can explain their growing techniques.

I eat a balanced diet that consists primarily of natural foods that are unprocessed or lightly processed (like tofu, tempeh, seitan). I track my nutrition on sparkpeople.com. That gives me feedback on a daily/weekly/monthly basis of the nutrients I am consuming. It also gives reports on areas where I may be coming up short, and the possible health consequences of continuing a deficiency. Because I eat so many natural foods, I get far above the recommended daily requirements on most everything. Personally, I don't concern myself with superfoods. It's great there are foods that have high nutritional benefits, but there is no one food that is going to supply everything a body needs. I get what I need by eating a balanced diet. If I was eating a lot of junk food throughout the day and was only going to eat one natural food, I would probably be more interested in which foods were superfoods and could deliver the most benefit.

Because I am vegan and don't eat dairy, B12 is an issue. Calcium is also an issue, and sometimes vitamin E as well. All 3 are very common supplements. I buy them from a market down the street.

·
Registered
982 Posts
Hello and welcome!

I avoid Walmart for any produce, not only for the reason you mentioned but because it tends to rot much more quickly. Check your area for local farmers markets... they're a great source for organic and/or reasonably priced produce. Like Mojo, I track my nutrition (also at sparkpeople... they even have a vegetarian group there) and have not needed any supplements. I am a vegetarian and eat a wide variety of foods, so I don't have issues with B12 or calcium.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts