VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Vegan Very Metal
774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since the recent trolling, do you now think twice about saying "hello" "hi" "howdy" etc in the Introduce Yourself forum?

·
Registered
6,609 Posts
No. Who cares if you are welcoming somebody who turns out to be a non-vegetarian? There is no way at first to know. We don't want to be an unwelcoming place, just because we've had some imposters lately. It doesn't matter if they are giggling to themselves in their forum over there about how we are "buying it."

·
Registered
966 Posts
I always like to give people the benefit of the doubt.

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
It has made me read every newbies post with suspicion at first. But no, I'll still welcome people - it's not their fault that the duck hunting fraternity decided to pay us a visit.

·
Registered
4,337 Posts
Damn, you guys found me out. I am actually a troll. I guess I have to come out from under the bridge. It is hard to be a vegetarian troll. All the other ones keep making fun of me for not eating the goats and children.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Somewhat related, but there was a thread I never read about people who aren't on veggie boards anymore, has anyone considered maybe they went back to meat.

·
Registered
6,609 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonyvegetarian View Post

Somewhat related, but there was a thread I never read about people who aren't on veggie boards anymore, has anyone considered maybe they went back to meat.
How is this related?

·
Registered
966 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonyvegetarian View Post

I guess that's possible, (I wouldn't assume that though.) but if they're not posting anymore they can hardly be considered trolls.

·
Banned
3,131 Posts
I'm not afraid of welcoming them, but I have found myself being suspicious of new posters posting suspicious things in some of the same threads the trolls came and went to and have been talking about. Seeing them in the introduction forum actually makes me think they're less likely to be trolls, because most of the trolls just joined and jumped into other trolls' conversations. I realize I'm being too suspicious though. This was my first time witnessing a trolling, and I'm sure there'll be more trolls, it's impossible to prevent them, so I don't want to spend all my time at VeggieBoards being suspicious when being suspicious won't help prevent any trolls at all. Plus, if any other trolls are as bad as these were (especially Veggiewife/wtn10's fake posts, at least d~n~b actually got to the trolling), then it's not worth all the suspicion and worrying

·
Registered
7,245 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by disney.jessica View Post

it's impossible to prevent them...
No it's not. This has always been a great mystery to me, why VB allows people to post as soon as they join, instead of placing them in a usergroup that puts their posts in a moderation queue that requires them to approved by the mods before they appear on the forum. This would stop all the spam and most of the trolls. A few really dedicated trolls would still get through, but the ones with a 2-second attention span would be effectively controlled.

I can't understand trolls like the ones we just had from that duck hunting forum though. It's obvious from the way they pretended to impersonate their impression of what a vegan is that they have no clue what real vegetarians and vegans are like. The veganwife72 caricature was blatantly obvious to me, though I guess it had some people fooled.

What anyone hopes to gain by managing to spend a substantial amount of time here undetected is a mystery to me, because the moment you decide to take your mask off you'll be banned. Most of us who are not newbie vegetarians or vegans have seen it all before many many times, so expecting us to have emotional breakdowns online when people start typing in all caps about how much they like shooting ducks and what a bunch of pussies we are is pointless. If hunters are trying to get a rise out of us for fun, it speaks to their own mentalities, not ours, and confirms the bad impressions some of us probably already have of them.

But if they are actually offended by the notion that we think we are better than they are, morally superior, etc., I think that instead of spending all the free time they have trolling us or PETA, they should sit down and ask themselves why they feel so defensive about their activities, and why it matters to them what a bunch of veggies think about hunting and meat eating. I for one am absolutely 100% confident in the choice I have made to be vegan, so I could not care less what a bunch of not-vegans think of me. So this is what I really don't get about trolls. If they felt good about what they are doing they wouldn't be offended by a bunch of people who think they are wrong, and wouldn't bother to waste their time trolling.

·
Banned
3,131 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SomebodyElse View Post

No it's not. This has always been a great mystery to me, why VB allows people to post as soon as they join, instead of placing them in a usergroup that puts their posts in a moderation queue that requires them to approved by the mods before they appear on the forum. This would stop all the spam and most of the trolls. A few really dedicated trolls would still get through, but the ones with a 2-second attention span would be effectively controlled.

I can't understand trolls like the ones we just had from that duck hunting forum though. It's obvious from the way they pretended to impersonate their impression of what a vegan is that they have no clue what real vegetarians and vegans are like. The veganwife72 caricature was blatantly obvious to me, though I guess it had some people fooled.

What anyone hopes to gain by managing to spend a substantial amount of time here undetected is a mystery to me, because the moment you decide to take your mask off you'll be banned. Most of us who are not newbie vegetarians or vegans have seen it all before many many times, so expecting us to have emotional breakdowns online when people start typing in all caps about how much they like shooting ducks and what a bunch of pussies we are is pointless. If hunters are trying to get a rise out of us for fun, it speaks to their own mentalities, not ours, and confirms the bad impressions some of us probably already have of them.

But if they are actually offended by the notion that we think we are better than they are, morally superior, etc., I think that instead of spending all the free time they have trolling us or PETA, they should sit down and ask themselves why they feel so defensive about their activities, and why it matters to them what a bunch of veggies think about hunting and meat eating. I for one am absolutely 100% confident in the choice I have made to be vegan, so I could not care less what a bunch of not-vegans think of me. So this is what I really don't get about trolls. If they felt good about what they are doing they wouldn't be offended by a bunch of people who think they are wrong, and wouldn't bother to waste their time trolling.
That's a good idea, I didn't even know that was possible. I meant more that it's impossible to prevent them under the current system.

I admit, I was fooled by veganwife at first.
I thought it did sound like a bad impression of a vegan, but I figured maybe it was just a really dramatic, over-the-top one. When the thread closed and I went back and re-read the posts I realized how obvious it was and now I feel silly for falling for it.
I didn't really even see how that person thought they did such a good job trolling. Is it trolling just because we responded to their threads?

I agree with your point about them worrying about what we think of them. Even after they were caught, they continued and are still continuing their defensiveness and debate over at their forum, and they're even reading all our other threads that have nothing to do with their trolling. Their fascination with veg*ns is so odd, I find it a bit amusing that they trolled us and now want to learn all about being veg.

·
Banned
1,189 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by disney.jessica View Post

I admit, I was fooled by veganwife at first.
I suspected him right away, but didn't say anything for a couple of pages. But I got a warning for suspecting someone else too and mentioning it.

Their posts are so lame it really doesn't matter either way. Just shows they are easily amused, like shaking car keys in front of their face type amusement.

·
Registered
3,097 Posts
I enjoy long, incoherent rants about people's "male life partner" and "female children." That's totally normal.

Also, I agree with the wall of text. Let me interrogate them. I'm good at being overbearing. I'll filter out the weak ones. It's clobberin' time.

·
Ankle Biter
9,333 Posts
Frequently, we suspect trolls early, but we don't ban right away because we like to have one of our rules back up our decision. We use a few tools at our disposal to see if a suspected troll has trolled us before, but if it's a new one, it's harder. So we watch and wait and see if we can catch them breaking a rule.

We honestly have so many new members join that putting newbies on moderation would drive us crazy, and we'd never have a chance to enjoy VB.

In the last invasion, a member found the DHC site and sent a couple of pms to let us know. Big help.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts