VeggieBoards banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all.

I am also a new veg-in-training.

A little history to get you to where I am now...

I bought a really nice omega auger juicer about a year ago. Since I didn't eat my vegetables as much as I should, this was a good solution to my problem.

This brought me to my local food coop (a 5 minute bike ride away...yes I know I am very lucky) so I could by organic fruits and vegetables to juice.

Of course I then realized how many other types of non-meat, non-dairy, organic foods were available to me.

I have been slowly adding these foods into my diet, thus replacing the less healthy ones my body has become accustomed to.

At this point I have basically dropped all dairy. I am sure there are somethings I eat that still have small amounts of diary products in them, but I am working on it....

I have not had red meat for about 2 months. I have had chicken on occasion (3 or 4 times).

I have had no fish.

Overall I feel great. I am still working on the meats, and hopefully I will become comfortable enough to purge them all from my diet soon.

What has surprised me is I am still able to maintain my strength when mountain biking. I do about 45-60 hard riding miles per week. I really thought the lack of meat would affect me....call me stupid.

I am still working on my diet and would appreciate any input on foods that would assist in muscle building and recovery from any active runners, bikers, etc.

Jon

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Welcome to the boards!

A friend of mine's brother is an avid biker, too. He went veggie b/c he said all that meat was making him sluggish and says his biking has improved immensely.

I don't know much about serious athletic activity (some aerobics and light weight lifting is about it for me), but there are some athletic types on the board who'd be more than happy to recommend some muscle recovery foods for you.

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
Hi, welcome! Hope you´ll some be a VIP - veg*an in practice.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts