VeggieBoards banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just stubbled across this forum over the internet and thought that it would be useful to become a member as my aim is to become a vegetarian.

I am a Brit living and working in France and love to cook and bake.
However I am concerned about having a healthy diet and hate any kind of cruelty to animals.

I have been interested in Vegetarian cooking for many years. However I have always eaten poultry, fish and red meat from time to time.
About 2 years ago I started to do a Low Carb diet to lose weight which did include eating red meat. I did lose weight however I missed eating vegetables, fruit and grains so that was the end of that.

I also have tried experimenting with Vegan recipes and try and subsitute ingredients as much as I can. It's not always easy as where I live (France) these products are mainly found in very expensive Health Food shops which only sell organic produce. It is also very difficult to say that you are a Vegetarian overhere and Vegetarian restaurants are very rare to come by.

A few years ago I stopped eating Foie Gras because of the cruelty to ducks and geese. I than started to become more aware of animal suffering and have decided to give up meat.

I would really love to say that I'm a Vegetarian (trying since the last 3 months)but do still eat some seafood from time to time.
My main source of protein comes from tofu, seitan and beans. It is not always easy to make substantial meals are there is a lot of planning and thinking to do. I have also found that I have gained weight as I eat far more caroboydrates since haven given up animal protein.

Anyway, I'm pleased to be onboard and hope to get some useful advise and help.

Thank You !

·
Ex-*****
5,391 Posts
Welcome to VB! I've been to France many times, and I know it can be challenging being vegetarian there (not to mention vegan) compared to e.g. the UK. I've been to the French Mediterranean coast once as well, stayed in a little town called Biot, and visited Nice and Antibes.

Have you tried lentils? They contain a decent amount of protein, are cheap, easy to cook and taste fine especially when combined with spices. Red lentils cook really fast (less than 5 minutes I think) while other lentils take slightly longer.

·
Registered
922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hello IS,

Thank you for your kind welcome. Biot is around 1h30 hour's drive from my place.

My meals are more or less 90 % Vegan so you can imagine I eat them all at home LOL !

Lentils especially the green variety are a weekly favourite. I often make lentil and vegetable stew or lentil soup.

Yes, the French think that you're crazy if you don't eat meat and Foie Gras LOL !

1 - 3 of 3 Posts