VeggieBoards banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife, daughter and I are just finishing our first week without meat. So far it's been so much easier than I thought it would be. I was afraid I would be constantly hungry and always eating stuff I don't like, but that couldn't be farther from the truth. We found tons of recipes on Whole Foods website and other websites and went shopping. We were both pretty lost in the grocery store with our list full of items we had never heard of, but it was a fun adventure. Every meal we've prepared has been great. Our daughter has been a little picky, but not too bad.

One area we have to work on is finding some light, easy to prepare lunches.

Also, I'm curious about what to do for eating on a road trip? Do you usually take food with you or stop for a salad or veggie sandwich from somewhere like Subway?

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Welcome, bondo! I know that feeling of being lost in the produce aisle. When I travel, I take a cooler with veggie snacks and foods. PB&J is one of my favorite light, easy meals. And I'm familiar with veggie options at some of the chain restaurants so I have something to fall back on when traveling.

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
Welcome and Congrats on your full week without meat, It will get easier when you go for your food. I am glad when we were relocated and moved we found a krogers. I love the set up of Krogers natural and Vegan and Vegetarian and Organic section its all in one and all the non dairy milks and yogurts are in their on section as well , so it makes it easier to shop.
We usually take PB and J sandwhiches with road trips and Veggie snacks and fruit snacks and low fat snacks as well.

·
Registered
8,743 Posts
Welcome

The bean burrito - no dairy - at Taco Bell might be vegan? You'd have to check on that - I've heard mixed things...

Why are you the last person you'd think would ever go veg?

·
Registered
982 Posts
Hello and welcome! When we travel I check the route ahead of time to look for local or chain restaurants that can accommodate my needs. If there will be a lack of available options, I pack my own food or seek out local grocery stores and farmers markets. If I'm staying someplace that provides food, such as when I went on a cruise, I check that they will provide options for me. It really is simpler than it sounds... like any habit is once you get used to it!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Hi there, I am also new! I just went on a road trip this weekend and I had a veggie sub at Subway and a bean burrito at Taco Bell. I also brought almonds and corn nuts along for the ride : )

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irizary View Post

Welcome

Why are you the last person you'd think would ever go veg?
Because I've always been an extremely picky eater, and never ate my vegetables. I've basically been eating like a picky 5yr old for the last 30 something years. Since we've gone veggie, I've been very open minded and tried everything my wife and I have cooked. Surprisingly I've enjoyed it all except for some spaghetti squash.

·
Lifelong vegetarian
2,617 Posts
Welcome,

When my wife started to be vegetarian (many years ago) her mother, father and two brothers became vegetarian too.

·
Registered
10,324 Posts
Hello Bondo!! Here's a website listing all the veg*n places to find food when out and about: www.veganeatingout.com.

As for light and easy to prepare lunches sandwiches and wraps with hummus and veggies are my favorites. Rice and bean dishes are always fast, cheap, and easy to prepare also. www.vegweb.com is also a good site for recipes. They even have a kid friendly category as well as a quick and easy category.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Hi and welcome and congrats on your family making your first week
nim new to being a vegan and i knwo it can be lost at first but like you said its like a new adventure

·
Registered
824 Posts
Welcome! I never in a million years thought I would be vegan EVER and now its been over a decade! Congrats on week one

·
Registered
37 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bondo View Post

One area we have to work on is finding some light, easy to prepare lunches.
That was a problem that took a bit for my fiancee and I to overcome; really, we're still getting there. I try to keep hummus, leftovers, salads, salsa, things like that on hand.

It's odd that the big thing -- dropping meat altogether -- isn't that hard. It's the myriad little things you never expected. Or at least I never expected.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.