VeggieBoards banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone!

I'm new to this forum, so I'll just start with some basic info about myself!

My name is Jill and I am 22 (23 on Thursday! woohoo!)

I live in a city of 140,000 called Dundee in Scotland!

I live with my fiance Graham & we have been together for just over 2 years and have been engaged since Christmas 2005!

I have recently become a veggie (have been veggie for about 2 months now), and feel so much better for it. I decided to do so because for one I have never really liked meat much in the first place, I only ate chicken on occasion, and also for reasons such as my love for all animals, seeing how they are treated and stuff, and many other reasons!!!!

I am probably the only veggie in my entire family (I have a very large family!) which isn't the best thing ever... my fiance is also a meat-eater, which is even worse as we live together!!! I won't even cook meat for him, I can't stand touching the stuff! Have tried to convince him to go veggie, but he likes his meat too much sadly... I have tried offering him Quorn/Tofu and other veggie options but he had none of it

I love most fruit and veg... with the exception of apples... I never have liked apples!!! And I'm not 100% sure why I don't like them!! lol.

I need to experiment more with cooking, and getting more imaginative food on my plate, as at the moment I am just eating veggie options from the supermarket, soups and such like...

Hence the reason for coming accross this site, I was searching online for veggie recepies, and thought this would be a good place to start..... although I have to say my cooking skills are extremely basic at best!!!! I really want to learn how to cook stuff from scratch, I'm sure I would enjoy it!!!!

I'm also finding the lack of veggie options when eating out in Dundee (fair enough it isn't a very large place but still annoying!!!) very irritating!!! I always end up having to eat a veggie chilli, or veggie burger... and aren't I sick of those lately!! lol

Other than the veggie/food stuff I enjoy most kinds of music, especially Indie bands such as, Keane, Snow Patrol, Razorlight, Coldplay, The Feeling, The Zutons, Arctic Monkeys, Kasabian etc.

I enjoy alot of Rock & Classic Rock as well!

I do like a bit of general pop stuff sometimes!!

I love comedy movies, esp things with Adam Sandler!

Some of my faves from recent times and older films: Anger Management, Happy Gilmore, Click, Dirty Dancing *yes.. I am a girl lol*, The Departed, The Godfather, Goodfellas, Homeward Bound, The Incredible Journey, Shrek, Saw, Mean Girls etc.

Pretty much anything really!!!!

I love spending time with my friends, going out for coffee/lunch etc.

Well hope that's enough!!!! I like to start with the basics!!! Hope to have some good tips from here.. esp on the recepie thing!!!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh good, I'm not the only one then

I'm trying to become vegan also, but I'm taking it step by step & I haven't much money the vegan products in my area are so expensive and we really do not have much money at all
not fair

nevertheless, i am happy i am achieving being a veggie very well, and feel good for doing it! so I guess I need to investigate the vegan thing more because i am a bit ignorant on the subject unfortunately
anything I can pick up from here would be great!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Woo, that is creepy!!!
How's life in sunny St Andrews? You at the uni there??

lol

Not sure what a veggie bacon sandwich is?? what's it made of?

I've never really been one for bacon before I was veggie anyways...

:O

Thanks again for the welcome guys x

·
Registered
2,521 Posts
It's raining. Apparently it is the driest place in the whole of Scotland. But I am wet! I am at the uni, will be finishing this year though.

Depends on which sort of 'veggie bacon' you buy I guess...you can get 'fakeon' (not a brand, just a term). Lots of fake meats out there. Not all vegan though. The smell of bacon makes me ill now...

·
Banned
1,524 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilacmoonbeam View Post

Not sure what a veggie bacon sandwich is?? what's it made of?

I've never really been one for bacon before I was veggie anyways...

:O
A britcom that I understand is quite popular in the US, "Keeping Up Appearances" has a character who apparently is always saying "I want a bacon bottie!" or "I want a bacon sarnie!" I've never seen the show, but as my wife is Scottish we often get asked about them.

white bread, bacon, and HP sauce = the sarnie, w/out HP sauce, just a bottie.

Based on the responses I've gotten, I suspect it might be an English thing more than an all-GB thing.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Hello! I am from Scotland too! Well that's not strictly true - I was born and raised in Australia to Danish parents, I came to Edinburgh for a 'holiday' in 1998 and never went back! I married a gorgeous hunky Scottish man (sorry Scottish ladies I know you whinge about us foreigners taking all the best Scottish men away - I couldn't help it!) and now have two wee lads 2yrs old and 6mths old. My best friend's brother lives in Dundee - I really like it there but I know what you mean about lack of veggie places to eat out - I reckon it's the same all over the rest of britain - I personally am sick of everything having goat's cheese in it!

Hopefully see you around the boards!

K xxx

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hey that's really cool there's so many people out there from near by!!!

Vegmumma - I'm glad you liked Scotland so much you decided to stay... I'm assuming that's ur wee lads in ur avatar?? So cute

oh and I don't winge about foreigners taking all the Scottish men haha.. I've got a brilliant one myself..

On the question of "butties" (as we spell them in Scotland .. I think haha)

Yeah we call them that here too. We also get "chip butties" (fries in USA), with loads of vinegar.. not very healthy as you can imagine... lol!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hey that's really cool there's so many people out there from near by!!!

Vegmumma - I'm glad you liked Scotland so much you decided to stay... I'm assuming that's ur wee lads in ur avatar?? So cute

oh and I don't winge about foreigners taking all the Scottish men haha.. I've got a brilliant one myself..

On the question of "butties" (as we spell them in Scotland .. I think haha)

Yeah we call them that here too. We also get "chip butties" (fries in USA), with loads of vinegar.. not very healthy as you can imagine... lol!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.