VeggieBoards banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wanted to say hi! I'm a 22 year-old veggie from Russia.

I'm new to vegetarianism and I am looking for support from fellow vegetarians!

·
Ex-*****
5,391 Posts
Welcome to the boards! We're happy to have you! Russia is a large country, the largest in the world... Where do you live more specifically? One of our moderators spent a few months in the western parts (St. Petersburg?) last year, I think.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I live in St. Petersburg! Not a bad city, but there aren't many veggie-friendly places... It's nice to know memebers from this board visit my country...

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
welcome.
i spent a week in st petersburg a few years ago and absolutely loved it. if i could i'd move there in a heartbeat

·
Registered
612 Posts
Welcome! It has been one of my lifetime travel goals to tour Russia via the Transiberian Express.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Welcome to the forum, longstocking.

Yeah, Russia would be a neat place to go visit. Course I'm not making any kind of traveling plans for awhile now, as I'm flat broke, but it would be nice!

·
Registered
1 Posts
привет!

I'm new to the forum, so I apologise for digging up this old thread!

I'm currently in the UK, however moving to St Petes for the foreseeable future (3 years or so), I am a veggie, and I'm doing a week of veganism at the mo, just to see if I can cope!
I can appreciate that being a vegan in Russia is really difficult, but how hard is it to be veggie in Russia, in particular St Petersburg?

Pavot

·
Registered
6,609 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pavot View Post

привет!

I'm new to the forum, so I apologise for digging up this old thread!

I'm currently in the UK, however moving to St Petes for the foreseeable future (3 years or so), I am a veggie, and I'm doing a week of veganism at the mo, just to see if I can cope!
I can appreciate that being a vegan in Russia is really difficult, but how hard is it to be veggie in Russia, in particular St Petersburg?

Pavot
I'm currently spending my summer in Moscow, so I can answer this. It's not hard at all, but it depends on your living situation. If you will have access to a kitchen, it will be incredibly, incredibly easy. Saint Petersburg also has the delicious vegetarian cafe "Cafe Botanika" and a pescatarian restaurant "Cafe Idiot." Additionally, there is tons of international food that is accessible to vegetarians. Sushi is extremely popular here, and all of the sushi restaurants I've been to have veggie sushi. Even your basic Russian restaurants, especially blini chains and cafeterias, will have something for you to eat. I have had no trouble in the cafeterias of the Moscow State University dormitories. I haven't been eating the most varied diet in the cafeterias themselves, but I have generally been eating enough and have not developed any vitamin deficiencies or anything.

What will you be doing in St. Petersburg? Говорите по-русски?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts