VeggieBoards banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone

My name is Ursula, I'm 22, from Ireland (stating the obvious given the thread title) and I decided very recently to go vegetarian. I came on here hoping to get some advice and support that will hopefully make the transition go a bit smoother

Anyways any tips or advice anyone has for starting out would be very much appreciated!!

·
Ex-*****
5,391 Posts
Welcome to VB, and congratulations on your decision!

How are your cooking skills? Assuming you have access to a kitchen, I guess you should start by finding some recipes for foods that you think you might like. The smaller meals are probably not too challenging to make vegetarian. For dinner you can build up a menu so you have something different, but not too complicated and time-consuming for each day in the week. Later you can work on perfecting your technique and make more impressive and complicated dishes to impress your friends and family. You'll be a pro in no time at all!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well my cooking skills are passable, I can follow a recipe easily enough, I don't have the best luck when I experiment with recipes though, they rarely turn out to be delicious....or even edible. I'll just need to get myself acquainted with all the meat alternatives and as I progress hopefully dairy alternatives aswell
for the moment I'm just going to cut out all meat poultry and fish completely and see how I get on! I'm sure it'll be tough but I'm determined to stick with it, I cannot justify eating meat anymore considering what the animals go through and how many alternatives there are!! thanks for your feedback

·
Give peas a chance
1,715 Posts
Welcome!

The two things that have helped me are:
(1) I always have snacks ready to eat. I find it is less tempting to make bad decisions when there is food available and ready to go. Hummus, dip, vegetables, popcorn, fruit, trail mix...
(2) I made a commitment to eat healthier and learn how to cook when I went veg. Learning how to cook gave me a lot more power over the kinds of foods I could eat. Plus, it turned out to be a lot of fun.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts