VeggieBoards banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been lurking for a little while and have finally decided to jump in and introduce myself. I am a sahm w/ 2 little boys, and wife of 11 years and mom to a 130 lb golden retriever. I have recently starting moving toward being a vegetarian. I'm not totally there yet, but I am learning. I have cut out all meat with the exception of fish and shrimp. Maybe you could help me with this. How can I get Omega 3 into our diets with out it? I watched several of the videos on this site earlier tonight and honestly I cried and am so sorry that I was ever a part of such cruelty. I am having a hard time forgiving myself. I love animals, more than some people sometimes and never ever want to be a part of hurting one ever, ever again. I have also been researching like crazy genetically modified foods and am finding that to be very scary. From what I have read 90% of all soy beans are genetically altered and corn is somewhere around 70%. I am starting to fear all food groups. In the summer, we grow our own vegetables, so things are somewhat easier, but with this new knowledge of gm seeds, I wonder if there is anyway at all to have pure food, even if I grow it myself. I have been buying more and more organics, but even this is not perfect. As it becomes more "popular" standards are not what they used to be.

Okay, If written a book and unloaded all my craziness on you all at once (sorry). But, that's me in a "nut" shell...lol I'll be talking with you all very soon

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
Hello and welcome to VeggieBoards!

Definitely keep trying to buy organic. It's a lot better than inorganic foods and a lot more pure [I love organic raspberries]. There are more and more "Non-GMO" foods and beverages coming out. You can always look at labels.

Taking a multivitamin will help with some nutrients, especially B12. I take Nature Made B12 supplements. It's very, very important for you.

Here is a site about Plant Omega-3s.

The most important piece of the article which answers your question:

Quote:
Seeds, nuts and beans - particularly walnuts, linseed (flaxseed) and rapeseed (canola) and their oils - are the richest-known sources of essential omega-3 fats. Even green leafy vegetables contain them.

·
Registered
3,795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you so much! We eat beans, flaxseed and green leafies every day. We just might be better off in this area than I thought. I'll start taking a multi vitamin. I remember to give the kids vitamins, but forget about me. Thanks again for the info!

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
You are very welcome! It is good that you eat green leafy veggies everyday.

A more common problem with vegetarians is actually anemia [guilty as charged]. Spinach, broccoli and kale have the most iron content, but all leafy greens are good for iron [your multivitamin will help with this as well].

Best of luck with your transition! Being veg*an is a rewarding lifestyle for those who adopt it strongly and passionately. I would never go back to my old way of life.

Any questions that you have you may ask here and we will be as prompt as possible in answering them for you.

·
Registered
7,858 Posts
Welcome to VB!
Good luck with your transition to vegetarianism, and congratulations on how far you've come already

1 - 10 of 10 Posts