VeggieBoards banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went vegan a few months ago. It wasn't particulary hard, but there's one thing that has been bothering me. It's the "Veganism doesn't really help anyone" attitude, coming from both omnis and some vegans who are into direct action and stuff like that. I'm talking about things like "Don't fool yourself, you can't live an ethical life in a capitalist society, you're being a hypocrite".
First of all, why not? You can't completely eliminate causing pain to others from your life, but you can minimize it. And not only that, but you can actually help others (either the people you know or society in general) to minimize the pain that they're causing, so, at the end of the day, the world is a better place than it would have been without you (even though your living in a capitalist society caused some pain to someone).
Secondly, I just hate the tone in which these things are usually being said. I'm talking about that "you're a foolish and naive kid" tone, and expressions like "Internet vegan" or "consumer vegan" or whatever. It's not hard to rationally find reasons to stay vegan, but it's still hard to actually not feel bothered by comments like that. It feels like being attacked from all sides.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
No replies to my thread.

Well I guess it was my own fault... It wasn't even a proper introduction, I just started bitching right away.
Anywayy... I'm 22, I go to college, I like watching movies. Ummm... I don't really know what to say about myself.

·
Registered
60 Posts
hey and welcome
im new to the board to as weel as new to being vegan and i dont really know ow to answer your question other then dont let people judging you be a problem. Your Vegan so people are ganna look at you differently anyways most likley. So you do it for your own reasons and it doesnt matter what oter people say

Good luck and see ya around the boards

·
Registered
982 Posts
Hello and welcome! It has been too long of a day for me to give your question proper thought. I would suggest posting it over in the vegan support area... I think it gets a lot more traffic than the welcome area.

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulot View Post

I went vegan a few months ago. It wasn't particulary hard, but there's one thing that has been bothering me. It's the "Veganism doesn't really help anyone" attitude, coming from both omnis and some vegans who are into direct action and stuff like that. I'm talking about things like "Don't fool yourself, you can't live an ethical life in a capitalist society, you're being a hypocrite".
First of all, why not? You can't completely eliminate causing pain to others from your life, but you can minimize it. And not only that, but you can actually help others (either the people you know or society in general) to minimize the pain that they're causing, so, at the end of the day, the world is a better place than it would have been without you (even though your living in a capitalist society caused some pain to someone).
Secondly, I just hate the tone in which these things are usually being said. I'm talking about that "you're a foolish and naive kid" tone, and expressions like "Internet vegan" or "consumer vegan" or whatever. It's not hard to rationally find reasons to stay vegan, but it's still hard to actually not feel bothered by comments like that. It feels like being attacked from all sides.
Of course it makes a difference. The omnivores just use it as an excuse not to do anything and to carry on eating meat. The vegan activists use it to goad you into getting involved in the way they are.

Have you ever read the starfish story?

The Starfish Story
by Loren Eiseley
1907 - 1977

Once upon a time, there was a wise man who used to go to the ocean to do his writing. He had a habit of walking on the beach before he began his work.

One day, as he was walking along the shore, he looked down the beach and saw a human figure moving like a dancer. He smiled to himself at the thought of someone who would dance to the day, and so, he walked faster to catch up.

As he got closer, he noticed that the figure was that of a young man, and that what he was doing was not dancing at all. The young man was reaching down to the shore, picking up small objects, and throwing them into the ocean.

He came closer still and called out "Good morning! May I ask what it is that you are doing?"

The young man paused, looked up, and replied "Throwing starfish into the ocean."

"I must ask, then, why are you throwing starfish into the ocean?" asked the somewhat startled wise man.

To this, the young man replied, "The sun is up and the tide is going out. If I don't throw them in, they'll die."

Upon hearing this, the wise man commented, "But, young man, do you not realize that there are miles and miles of beach and there are starfish all along every mile? You can't possibly make a difference!"

At this, the young man bent down, picked up yet another starfish, and threw it into the ocean. As it met the water, he said, "I made a difference to that one
!"

·
Registered
824 Posts
Hi welcome! It can be frustrating when people have that attitude but like you said, you are minimizing suffering and that IS something.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks everyone, your replies actually made me feel better.

@angie54321: Nice story. ^^

1 - 9 of 9 Posts