VeggieBoards banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone!! I am very new to this forum but very excited to connect with people who share my views and ideas, as well as meet and learn about others who differ! I first went vegetarian 6 years ago but at the time I was underage and had to eat what my parents put on the table. They didn't support my views so it was eat meat or starve. Now I am much older and have been vegetarian for a while. I am progressing into veganism and it should be easier than it is for me. I should just quit cold tofu but and finding it harder than I wish it to be.
Anyone who wants to simply say hello I would love to hear from! And anyone with advice or words of wisdom I would greatly appreciate!!
Again, I look forward to sharing as well as learning!!

·
Registered
100 Posts
Welcome! My handle's Niur and I'm a vegetarian. My husband is on here too, (he's rotoshave, you'll see him around). He's vegan. If you have any questions, he'll be happy to answer.

As a spouse of a vegan, I have to adapt a lot of our meals. While I eat cheese, Matt can't, so we usually go vegan during meals. But it isn't hard. If you're transitioning, I'd advise finding good substitutes for the vegetarian pleasures you can't live without. A life-saver for me is pine nut cream. It works almost exactly like sour cream, but is made from pine nuts and silken tofu. (The pine nuts can get a bit expensive, but you can substitute walnuts and it turns out just fine.)

Another thing I swear by is daiya cheese. It is so salty and good, and it melts! I love it in casseroles or on burritos.

If you need ideas, just ask. We're all friendly here!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank ya'll for the responses and support. I do appreciate it.

Quote:
Another thing I swear by is daiya cheese. It is so salty and good, and it melts! I love it in casseroles or on burritos.
Niur, I have only ever tried cheddar Daiya. I didn't care much for it unmelted, however it tasted just fine melted. Thank you for your information and support as well. I will certainly ask when I need help!

·
Vegan Very Metal
774 Posts
Hello and welcome to Veggieboards, vegbee.

I have been vegan for nearly 15 years, and found the transition from vegetarianism to be very easy. Hopefully you will too.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:
I have been vegan for nearly 15 years, and found the transition from vegetarianism to be very easy. Hopefully you will too.
Thank you, Vincent. I hope it will be as well. All of my beauty products and clothings are already vegan, so I am well on my way. Thanks for the support.

·
Registered
982 Posts
Hello and welcome!

I am transitioning as well and finding it difficult. It was easier when I lived on my own and solely decided the menu. Now that I'm married (to a mostly-supportive omni) and have a baby, it's been a challenge to go vegan.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
PeaceLoveKnit,
I can imagine having such a new family who doesn't share your dietary choices makes transitioning even more difficult. On one hand, I think it is silly to consider going vegan "difficult" because I feel like I should just do it. Animal suffering is unacceptable to me and therefore every action I can take to reduce it should be a very simple no-brainer. On the other hand, it is a lifestyle change and is something that is not "mainstream" and there for less challenging than the lifestyle of an "omni". It is very nice to hear that your spouse is supportive, that can be helpful on its own. There are not many people in my area who would even consider a meatless meal, let alone lifestyle! How was your pregnancy as a vegetarian? Where there any healthy concerns from your ob/gyn? Good luck on your transition, and as I need support I can also offer it!! Congratulations on your baby as well! Hopefully as you make the switch your transition your spouse will offer more support and maybe even adopt some of the same principles! And you can teach your baby along the way as well!

·
Registered
982 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegbee View Post

PeaceLoveKnit,
I can imagine having such a new family who doesn't share your dietary choices makes transitioning even more difficult. On one hand, I think it is silly to consider going vegan "difficult" because I feel like I should just do it. Animal suffering is unacceptable to me and therefore every action I can take to reduce it should be a very simple no-brainer. On the other hand, it is a lifestyle change and is something that is not "mainstream" and there for less challenging than the lifestyle of an "omni". It is very nice to hear that your spouse is supportive, that can be helpful on its own. There are not many people in my area who would even consider a meatless meal, let alone lifestyle! How was your pregnancy as a vegetarian? Where there any healthy concerns from your ob/gyn? Good luck on your transition, and as I need support I can also offer it!! Congratulations on your baby as well! Hopefully as you make the switch your transition your spouse will offer more support and maybe even adopt some of the same principles! And you can teach your baby along the way as well!
Thank you. I became vegetarian over 15 years ago for health reasons, so it's a surprise even to me that I'm aiming to go vegan. It was only after places like this site that I started to see that I could take my diet a step further and help more than just myself. Like you said, it shouldn't be difficult but it is at times. Oddly enough, my biggest struggle is not food-related... I'm a knitter and wool is in nearly every yarn I use!

The pregnancy was very difficult at times. Despite a carefully controlled diet (supported completely by my midwife), I had some very strong meat cravings and gave in several times... and regretted it when I got sick. I am still shocked that I even had cravings after so long without meat and even more shocked that I gave into them. (I hate even typing that out, but I aim to always be honest about my occasional struggles.) He delivered nearly three weeks overdue!

At this point, my husband eats vegetarian five days a week. I am hoping at some point he will simply join me. We have already decided our son will be raised vegetarian. That will probably not go over well with either of our families.

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
Welcome to Veggieboards, vegbee!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeaceLoveKnit View Post

Thank you. I became vegetarian over 15 years ago for health reasons, so it's a surprise even to me that I'm aiming to go vegan. It was only after places like this site that I started to see that I could take my diet a step further and help more than just myself. Like you said, it shouldn't be difficult but it is at times. Oddly enough, my biggest struggle is not food-related... I'm a knitter and wool is in nearly every yarn I use!

The pregnancy was very difficult at times. Despite a carefully controlled diet (supported completely by my midwife), I had some very strong meat cravings and gave in several times... and regretted it when I got sick. I am still shocked that I even had cravings after so long without meat and even more shocked that I gave into them. (I hate even typing that out, but I aim to always be honest about my occasional struggles.) He delivered nearly three weeks overdue!

At this point, my husband eats vegetarian five days a week. I am hoping at some point he will simply join me. We have already decided our son will be raised vegetarian. That will probably not go over well with either of our families.
15 years is a long time for vegetarianism and even that can be hard so I certainly commend you for that. It can be extremely difficult to go vegan for some reason, but I am glad that you and I both are aiming towards that goal. I can certainly see how wool can become and issue in going vegan. Can you order vegan friendly "wool" in bulk online somewhere? Is that even possible?
Pregnancy is a difficult time. Cravings come from out of nowhere. I know women who have craved things they hated outside of pregnancy, things they swore off of forever, and combinations of things that seem utterly absurd. It is an emotional rollercoaster and I appreciate your honesty in sharing that. Its ok because you got back on track and seem to have, for the most part, stuck to your vegetarianism as much as you could. Any woman who has experienced pregnancy can attest that you did an amazing job!
I hope that both your side of the family and your husband's can support the decision to raise your son vegetarian. When he gets old enough to decide if he wants to continue that lifestyle I am sure you both will support him either way. And raising him without meat, I feel like, would be the most morally and healthful decision you could make!!
I wish you luck on all of theses endeavors!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts