VeggieBoards banner

Hello everyone I'm from San Jose...

2K views 7 replies 8 participants last post by  LadyJane1 
#1 ·
I was wondering what do you use for shampoo, conditioner and lotion to avoid all the chemicals? And not so expensive? how about do i need to get different neosporin and cortizone? or those are ok to use? Or Is it as a vegan, do we use herbs and natural remedies instead? Thanks
smiley.gif

See less See more
#2 ·
Hi, I luv San Jose. Do you go to the Falafel Drive In? Best falafel ever!

I actually don't use shampoo/conditioner, ditched it a few years ago and my hair has never looked better. I use baking soda and apple cider vinegar instead, it sounds weird but works really well. I rinse with diluted vinegar about twice a week and use a baking soda past on my scalp about once a week : http://mymerrymessylife.com/2012/03/diy-baking-soda-shampoo-apple-cider-vinegar-conditioner-100-green-effective-2.html

For lotion I use coconut oil, it is great and can be used in your hair too ( also great for baking), get refined oil if you don't want coconut smell.

I'm not sure about neosporin and cortisone, it depends on what you use them for. Essential oils are handy to have for many reasons.

#3 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by joanna90 View Post

Or Is it as a vegan, do we use herbs and natural remedies instead? Thanks
smiley.gif
I would recommend not avoiding needed medicines and medical treatment to be "more vegan". I would generally recommend against herbal medicine and "natural remedies" in general as most have little efficacy and may have their own ethical or health issues as well.

#4 ·
I use vegan and cruelty free items. Right now I'm using Desert Essence shampoos. https://www.desertessence.com/

For things that are animal tested like neosporin, you might be able to find something cruelty free in whole foods. I know they have a vegan/cruelty free hand sanitizer made from plants, no harsh chemicals. http://www.cleanwelltoday.com/our-products/

Vegans use all plant based items when practical, but that doesn't mean we have to use only herbs/ or natural remedies, though you can if you want.

Reactions: theheadandtheheart
#6 ·
Instead of buying things that are often more expensive just to be packaged and labeled vegan I turn to simpler products,

Tea tree oil (melaluca) is a natural antiseptic. It can prevent infection and does help heal wounds faster. I've been surprised how well it treated a burn. Can be diluted for other uses like dandruff. It also repels insects. I know it's poisoness to cats and probably dogs so NOT for animals!

For itching, put some oatmeal in a blender to make a powder. You can use as a paste or add to a bath.

It's best to keep clean, but not germ phobic. Instead of using antibacterial products just wash well with a basic soap.

I've actually kept a cleaner house after going vegan. For me, things I've learned from my grandmother have been the best advice.

#8 ·
I like Jason's For shampoo and conditioner.I also love their rose body wash.You can probably find it at any drugstore or grocery.Sometimes I also go to vitacost.com online.It's not too expensive and you can get everything vitamins,grocery items,even some old products that you don't really see in stores in anymore.They have organics,natural products,vegan,regular.Usually I am happy with what I buy.But anyway most of the time I just buy Jason's stuff cause it is really easy to find and not too pricey.
smiley.gif

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.