VeggieBoards banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, my name is christopher. i am new to being Vegetarian.

i am looking forward to getting your guys input. so far i have chosen not to eat any meat fish or eggs.

i have chosen to eat milk dairy products or things that have eggs cooked in them like bread etc. so far it is been about a 2 or 3 weeks since i started. OMG i didn't realize how much stuff at the store had meat in them till now.

The reason i chose to become a Vegetarian is i cant stand harming animals any more or benefiting from it.

The health reasons are also a nice bonus.

So far my family has been ok although they do not understand why. i don't expect them to.

so far there only defence everything i eat used to be alive so its ok to eat meat. i have no idea how to explain them there must be a difference between a vegetable and a animal.

i need to do more research on this.

the only bad thing so far is the tofu. i think i cooked my first batch wrong. i need more research into it.

·
Registered
20,217 Posts
Hi Chris! Welcome to VB!

Keep trying with the tofu. You'll get the hang of it. There are lots of recipes here that you can try. And if you have too much trouble with tofu, you don't have to eat it if you don't want. Not everybody here eats (or even likes) tofu.

·
Banned
2,081 Posts
Hi, welcome.

Just because something is vegetarian-suitable doesn't mean you have to like it. Tofu is definitely an acquired taste. Or never-acquired.

·
Administrator
19,873 Posts
Hi Chris! I've been a vegetarian for 9 years and have only tried making tofu once (crispy tofu cubes). They weren't bad but they weren't good either. My advice would be to try tofu when you eat out (like at a Chinese restaurant). That way you'll see that it can be good. If you make it a few more times and still don't like it you may be reluctant to try it again.

And yeah, you'll find omni's will find all kinds of ways to justify what they do. Most of them make no sense at all. You seem to have a good attitude though. Just remember it's your choice and if other people want to be immature about it that's their problem, not yours.

Good luck and welcome to VB!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Hi Chris,

When we were trying to find good protein substitutes for meat that were chewy (instead of so soft) we found that even our meat-eater in the family liked and would eat Tempeh. It is a pressed soy-bean slab that you can substitue in for meats - it holds spices, flavors really well. I like to parboil it before I use it (boil in water OR over a steamer for about 5 minutes) which gets rid of some of the raw-ish flavor. Seitan (wheat protein) is also a good toothy protein. I recommend a cookbook called "The Vegetarian Meat and Potatoes" Cookbook. It has a lot of recipes that you will probably like, and makes the transition a little easier.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts