VeggieBoards banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
hummm...interesting. Here are some of my helpful tips to lose more weight while trying your new veg diet.

STOP EATING SO MUCH PROCESSED FOOD! seriously. Try to cut back on all things fried, including cheese. A Sobi & cookie for lunch is not helping! Eat more veggies, salads, beans, lentils, soups (not loaded with cheese & milk) All those enchiladas, rice and beans are loaded with fat! And try not to eat after 9pm.

You will not have much energy eating what you've been eating. You are not eating any real source of protein. Also, drink 64 oz's of water per day. And if you add even 20-30 minutes of brisk walking in I think you'd see some real weight loss results and might find yourself feeling less tired.

I enjoyed your read and hope you continue on a non meat diet, but hope that you will take care of yourself by eating a more balanced, healthy veggie diet! Good luck and thanks for sharing! I was entertained by your writing!

·
Registered
385 Posts
Actually, What you did may be considered ova lacto.. but wow. The food choices were appalling. Sorry to offend you. I only could get through the first page. That diet would cause me an illness. A cookie and soda for lunch? Eeeeeeh. Sorry. I've been lactose intolerant most my life, so the super cheezy sandwich also made me cringe. Well, now that I am done criticsizing you.

Also, that Portobello thing looked awesome! I want that now! I wonder if they make it vegan there? I'll have to ask. My friends live TGIFridays but I haven't gone for fear of all they had was meat and stuff in everything.

Well, Do some research and remember to eat enough Protien. Also, try eating more fresh things. I know its hard. I spend most of my days off creating my own pizza crusts, black bean burgers, soups.. and all sorts of stuff to freeze for me to eat throughout the week.

Good luck kid!

·
Registered
385 Posts
Well I looked at it again, the entire thing. I think this was just a joke. I mean, no one seriously eats like that? Right?

I thought the little jack o lantern Burrito was funny. But my goodness, if someone ate all that all the time they'd feel like horrible. Seriously.

It was a cute poke at Vegetarianism though. I guess some people think thats all you can eat as a veggie-head. Luckily, most people that there are millions of other meals to eat other than pizza, fried cheese, processed meals, and salad loaded with cholestorol. EEEEEK!

It was creative with the idea. Just remember folks, I think he is just joking about it.

Welcome to VB Funny Veggie dude!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the replies everyone. Actually this was not a joke and I have gotten a lot of emails from people asking if it was. Some people were bitter about the article, so people thought it was funny. It was a pretty mixed reaction from the entire piece that I haven't actually gotten before. I tried to answer a lot of the questions on the last page of the piece about why I was choosing what I was choosing to eat and to make it clear that I was strictly cutting meat out of my diet, not eating any healthier. I have to say if you thought what I was eating was a joke you should have seen what I was eating before this.

As I mentioned in my article I have decided to stick with it another month and this month I am going to try and transition more fresh produce into my diet as recommended here. I actually gave this site a plug on my article so if people really want to become vegetarian they can come over here to join the actual community and not follow in my horrible horrible footsteps.

I figured you guys would get a kick out of it and that is why I posted it. I am definetely not using myself as an example of what to eat, but your insight has been interesting and your reaction grand! I am going to read through the board for some recipes for some tasty quick produce rich dishes, but if you have a favorite you want to send me I'd be happy to get it. I am looking for meals that are quick and easy to prepare...remember I am both fat AND lazy.

Thanks again for reading the article and hopefully in part 2 I can incorporate some of your ideas to see what the result will be.

·
Registered
0 Posts
From your blog:

Quote:
I figured I would at least loose 5 pounds, because when have you ever seen a fat vegetarian? Well, since you saw my photos now you have.
This is a myth. There is a such thing as an unhealthy vegetarian. And you were a good example.

Quote:
I basically just ate cheese and a bunch of fatty foods for a majority of the month, but the goal was not to eat any meat, not to eat healthy
And this is why you didn't see weight loss.

Quote:
I did take a multi-vitamin the entire time to make sure I was getting enough vitamin C and crap, but other than that I rarely had any fruits.
Not all nutrients are absorbed from multivitamins/minerals. They are not a substitute for fruits and vegetables.

Quote:
I have also had some emails from people gripping about what I ate for lunch. Yes, I actually only had a Sobe and a cookie. If I actually ate lunch I would balloon to over 300 pounds, which is part of the reason I am so heavy now.
If you watch your caloric intake and keep it at a healthy level, you should be able to avoid gaining 20 lbs that you mentioned a few sentences later.

Quote:
What I give you here is an article you can hopefully laugh at and make fun of my weight.
I didn't laugh at you, and I don't want to make fun of you. I saw this as an opportunity to help you.

Quote:
I have decided to torture myself 1 more month. 1 more month of vegetarianism to see if I actually do start to lose any weight
I wish you the best of luck! But don't look at it as torture. Treat this as a new experience, a challenge. I read that you don't like to cook. Have you thought of eating only raw food? We have some raw foodists on the board here, and the folks at www.rawfoodtalk.com can help you. It could be an easier way to start eating healthy, since you don't enjoy spending the time to cook.

I encourage you to incorporate healthier foods into your next month. Try new fruits and vegetables that you haven't tried before. Pick out a recipe or two from the VB Recipe section and try it for fun. See how it turns out. If it doesn't turn out so great, keep looking and don't give up!

I also advise you to use FitDay.com. It's a website where you can enter the food you eat, and it will tell you how many calories and grams of protein, carbs, and fat you consumed. This will help you keep track of everything and hopefully help you with your weight loss.

Make this a better month! Good luck!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the great comments Janie! Yeah, I guess it really wasn't torture at all and I really didn't mind it, but I think I might look into the raw food idea. I am much more apt to eat food if it is quick and easy, so this might be a good idea for me. Maybe instead of the cookie for lunch I can eat an apple or something....that would probably be much better anyway. Do you think the Sobe is still alright? The only reason I get anything at all is so they will let me sit there and read. The whole raw food thing might make a cool follow up article anyway.

I do have a serious question about eating out: I like to eat out on the weekends, but as you can see from some of my choices this can be hard to find something both tasty to eat yet nutritious. Do you have any suggestions on places to try? Where do you eat at or do you only eat food you prepare yourself? This has been one of the biggest obstacles so far is finding some place that is both healthy and good tasting. Maybe I should look into vegan restaurants around the college campus. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
385 Posts
Your sugar levels must have been crazy. No wonder you were tired.

Yeah, make sure each meal is balanced. Also, Portion control is important for weight loss. Balance a slice of pizza with a salad, some soymilk and some steamed or grilled veggies.

And a good 10 minute stroll each day wouldn't hurt either to help weight loss. I know you said your "fat and lazy" but you have the power to change that.

Also, for instant meals its easy to heat up some precooked w/w pasta with grilled veggies and a garlic oil or marinara sauce. I eat that for lunch. Or when you go to subway, ask them to put the veggies (no lettuce) on the paper and grill them in the toaster with a bit of oil and pepper on it. Then on your wheat bun put the usual lettuce, and dressing and have them pile on the grilled veggies. My favorite is green peppers, onion, sweet peppers, tomatos, and spinach. It's awesome to eat. You can toast the bread too! Anyway, Thats what I like.

I get a 6 inch and some water. It fills me up usually.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The grilled veggie pasta sounds awesome. I am guessing you use fresh veggies for this?

I actually do own a treadmill so maybe I will jump on it for 10 minutes while I watch TV or something. I am not wanting to see drastic weightloss, it would be nice, but I understand it takes a while for the pounds to come off.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaVarious View Post

The grilled veggie pasta sounds awesome. I am guessing you use fresh veggies for this?

I actually do own a treadmill so maybe I will jump on it for 10 minutes while I watch TV or something. I am not wanting to see drastic weightloss, it would be nice, but I understand it takes a while for the pounds to come off.
Well, for something quick I just throw veggies (carrots, chopped spinach, asparagus, 1/4th'd red potatoes, and chopped garlic) into a foil packet with some italian seasoning and olive oil. I cook that for about 40 minutes in a 350 degree oven. Add a little extra oil at the end and toss with some pasta and garbanzo beans. Easy to make and eat! You can even use some frozen, just let them thaw the night before in the fridge. Probably would only take 30 minutes to cook, go ahead and try it.

I love to cook so I find it an awesome part of the day.

Just today I made some barley with tomato sauce, peas, mushrooms, onions, and spices. It's for thanksgiving tommarow. I'm also making a three bean salad and already have my tofurkey marinating and a squash is baked and peeled.

I am a Culinary Arts student.. so that may be something.

Small changes can make BIG differences!

Good luck!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
LOL, yes that would make sense on why you like to cook then. I am going to give your pasta a try this weekend. I am picking up a tofurkey tonight and will post my experience with it on my blog tomorrow for a special Thanksgiving treat.

I want to thank everyone for their comments and emails. It has been very enlightening. Keep them coming!

·
Registered
20,217 Posts
A slightly belated welcome to VB!

If you are interested in a raw or mostly raw diet, in part for the convenience and in part for weight loss, I do have a suggestion: If you have a grocery store or restaurant near you that has a salad bar, this would be a good way to incorporate fresh and raw produce into your diet, if you aren't a salad hater (believe it or not, some of the veg*ans on this board are!) You can experiment with all sorts of things in your salad, it doesn't have to be a boring iceberg-lettuce-and-tomato salad. You can even make a salad without any lettuce at all! You don't have to have a salad every day. You can start with one or two a week, and if you like the idea and like being creative with the salads, you can increase the number of salads you eat. It's also something quick and easy you can do at home.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hello Amy! I LOVE salad, but all of the grocery stores around me don't have a salad bar I can visit like that. When I lived in Cincinnati I built salads all the time, but here in Phoenix I am having a hard time doing it. I know there is a Wild Oats store in Scottsdale that has a salad bar, but that is an hour away from where I live. I will have to do some research to see if I can locate one closer. That was a great suggestion though.

·
Registered
7,858 Posts
Welcome to VB (yeah, I'm late to welcome you...) Your journal scared me a bit, but it's a nice idea and I'm glad you're sticking with vegetarianism at least a little longer.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Another slightly belated welcome...

A note about that article: I wanted to gag looking at all that greasy food. Just because you don't eat meat doesn't mean you can still pig out on junk.

Anyways, have a great time on the veggieboards! If you have any more questions just ask.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts