VeggieBoards banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How are you? I've been a vegetarian for about seven years, and now that I am in college, I want to work on becoming a vegan. It makes the most sense to me. I don't like dead things at all. Why make more, right? Well, my meal plan makes it a bit more difficult to get dairy-free, meatless dishes, but I think I'll give it a shot. I might have to cheat a bit until I can adjust the plan, though, because it is literally all the food I get for the semester. o_O Advice?

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Welcome to VB!

Back when I was vegetarian, I thought making the shift to a vegan diet would be difficult, but it turned out to be very easy, partly because the change was motivated by the horrific footage I'd seen in Earthlings. So that's one thing I'd recommend if you're finding that you're getting cravings, or aren't that motivated, emotionally, about changing.

As for actual substitutions, try soy, almond, rice, or hemp milk for dairy milk, to drink or in cooking and baking. When I was vegetarian, I drank chocolate soy milk, because I never really cared for chocolate milk, but it never occurred to me to switch to plain soy milk in my cooking for some reason. I just kept using cow's milk.

You can make delicious cheeze and fettucine sauces with things like silken tofu, nutritional yeast flakes, tahini, and cashews. Play around with different recipes to suit your tastes.
I absolute love the nacho cheeze and fettuccine alfredo recipes in Alicia Simpson's Vegan Comfort Food. They'll help satisfy any dairy cravings, despite not having the opiates found in dairy foods.

·
Registered
642 Posts
Welcome!

It can take a while to adjust and find a way to make veganism work in day to day life. It took me a few months to transition from vegetarian to vegan. The key is to keep trying different alternatives and find what you like best. Kimberlily suggested some great ideas for non-dairy milks and recreating old favorites.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.