VeggieBoards banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been vegetarian for 16 days now and everything seems to be going well. However, I was making my brothers dinner yesterday and something odd happened.

I was in the midst of making him fettucini alfredo when I got a bag of frozen shrimp out to thaw. I opened the bag and was overwhelmed by such a strong, fishy aroma. The smell was so pungent that I got another bag out thinking that the first one was spoiled. So, I open up the new bag and it smells just as strong. I asked my brother to smell the shrimp and he said he smelled nothing at all.

Am I going crazy or has this happened to anyone else?

·
Registered
238,393 Posts
This happened to me as well. I've talked about it to other vegs and some have experienced it, some haven't. It's the same way that when I make ground beef for my husband it has this weird "sour" smell to me that I never smelled before.

·
Registered
308 Posts
I know what you mean. I started to notice the smell of meat a lot more when I became vegetarian. I find myself feeling quite ill sometimes if I'm in a room where meat is being cooked or eaten because the smell is just awful. My omni friends think I'm nuts and totally overreacting!

·
Registered
428 Posts
Definitely true - I had a vegetarian friend in college who had always hated meat and never really ate it. She had an amazing ability to smell meat. I never knew what it smelled like before at least 6 months of not eating it.

A couple months ago I accidently ate pizza with bacon, and it was a whole new flavor. Very meaty, maybe bitter/sour, definitly not a taste I remember.

·
Registered
220 Posts
The other day my boss who does not yet know I'm a vegetarian, and bless his heart for trying to be nice, brought me a cup of mashed potatoes and gravy from Popeyes Chicken and Biscuits. He said "Eat 'em up! They're healthy!" I said thanks and smiled, all-the-while knowing they'd go straight to the trash if no co-workers wanted them. When I opened the lid to have a look-see I almost lost it. Seriously. My eyes welled up, stomach turned and I got that pre-hurl mouth water thing going on. It was so foul. I think they use chicken gizzards in their gravy, but not sure. It was chunks of SOMEthin'!

The funny thing to me is that my boss is always making fun of me for eating what he calls healthy, weird-smelling food. Hmm.

·
Registered
5,011 Posts
I've been vegan for about 2 weeks, I was in a 7-11 todayand smelled the most horrible smell....I realized it was all the meat products rolling around in that giant case of death they have. It was the nastiest thing I have ever smelled and I definetly didn't notice it last time I was in there.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I was at my mum's the other day trying to help my brother fix something in his room, she opened a pack of meat to cook and I could smell it from his room (which reaks of old socks and mens deodarent) my mother thought I was making up the fact that I could smell it from in there to be a pain.

19,656 Posts
i think that if you smell something often, you get used to it. if you limit your exposure to a specific smell for a while, it can be more heightened when you next encounter it. i get that all the time with scented deodorants, moisturisers, etc.

if you ever give up dairy, you might find you can smell the butyric acid in it more intensely. i can, and yeah, thats not fun.

it might also be that you've formed an unpleasant mental association with it, so now it smells more repulsive to you. subconscious smell stuff is interesting. i kinda half saw a thing about it on tv earlier.

·
Registered
76 Posts
In general, I can't say I've noticed. The only smell that's heightened is that of my own breath, as I've become too fond of onions lately XD

I have always been able to smell meat very well. It never made my mouth water like a good vegetable soup though, so fond of that stuff (I used to eat condensed vegetarian vegetable soup without adding water, two or three cans a day. Yeah, lets just say that it 'gets you moving').

·
Registered
238,393 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoodedclawjen View Post

if you ever give up dairy, you might find you can smell the butyric acid in it more intensely. i can, and yeah, thats not fun.
I noticed after turning vegan that dairy smelt a lot more, which I was surprised about as I didn't think things like milk or things with a little dairy in the ingredietns would catually smell that much.

I think it's a case of you get used to certain smells so if you're used to smelling meat (you put it uner your nose as you eat it anyway) then you don't notice it as much.

·
Registered
482 Posts
this happened to me, too. when i was in walmart last night, i walked by the fried chicken stand and i almost threw up. i used to love the smell of fried chicken and now i cant stand it. god help me if i ever have to go in a steakhouse or a bbq place.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.